“Average at best”

Holiday Inn Chiang Mai
Ranked #53 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a very large hotel that needs renovation internally and externally. The rooms are spatious with a sizeable living area, desk, mirror etc and all the necessary amenities. However there are stains on the carpets, linen etc, the A/C was freezing us even when it was shut off, there was no free wi-fi in the rooms, and the overall feeling was weary.

The hotel is near the night market which is not as nice or interesting as one might think and there is a shuttle service to several points of interest.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 January 2014

A really enjoyable 4 night stay with very good food and room service and excellent all round staffing in a hotel nearly at capacity over New Year but still with time to ensure a great family short holiday with our 7 & 2 year olds being made very welcome

Definitely will return and my thanks to the receptionist who kindly helped us with an early check in but hats off to all

Room Tip: Do not worry about a city or river view and just try for one of the corner rooms and be aware that a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
HolidayInnChiangmai, QCI Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Timbanks150,

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent stay. I will certainly share your comments with my team.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Chiangmai in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Stella Jacobs

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Decent place to stay. Staff all spoke English and tuk-tuks were readily available throughout our stay (even on new years eve).

This review is based on remodeled non-smoking rooms. The older smoking rooms are very smokey and a bit decrepit.

Buffet was OK. Computer stations all worked.

Location is across the river, but only a 5 min tuk-tuk ride away. All the tuk tuk drivers knew where holiday inn was as well for return (and they did not know where some of the thai hotels were).

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank tobywonder
HolidayInnChiangmai, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Tobywonder,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced.

Based on your feedback on non-smoking room, I am pleased to inform you that the issues you have raised have been addressed. Plans are underway to do guest room upgrade which is already scheduled. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with new refurbished room.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.

Yours sincerely,

Stella Jacobs

Reviewed 31 December 2013

6th floor suite. Great view, very comfy room. Significant distance from markets etc, but there is a shuttle. Lovely Restraunt! Concierge was helpful and with plenty of useful information. Check in staff we're amazing, dealing with all sorts. Very busy hotel, lots of celebrations there, such as weddings and birthdays. Enjoyed my stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BRONS4
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here because it was the only hotel left in Chiang Mai for 3 days and are still at the hotel on floor 22. Here are the positives:
-the staff are very kind and helpful
-the rooms have all essential equipment, and bathroom has all items you might need.
-they supply lots if water for drinking at no charge.

Here are the negatives:
-essentially no wifi in room, signal terrible.
-room freezing and are not able to control the heat.
-stains on pillow cases
-bathroom door broken and does not close properly.
-shower goes from freezing to hot to freezing for no apparent reason.
-bathroom ancient, entire hotel is old and tired and needs major upgrade and overhaul.
-beds uncomfortable and hard
-cleanliness of pretty low standard.

If I was paying for a 3 star hotel I wouldn't expect more, but for $200plus a night in Thailand my expectations are much higher, we just came from Bangkok and can stay in the lap of luxury for 250 per night so this was really disappointing for the price point.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank calemoo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear calemoo,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations.

I read with much concern the troubles you have encountered during your stay. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your standards on most of the services and amenities that we provide particularly with the room condition. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I am truly sorry if we were not able to deliver this to you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We deeply regret that you did not receive the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This hotel has terribly outdated rooms with old dirty carpets. The windows are dirty, grimy and old. I do not recommend this hotel. The only good thing about it is it's location. It is very close to the night market.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear GalfromCBE,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property

I am disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not what you expected. I sincerely apologize for the dissatisfaction you had with the level of cleanliness and truly sorry for the room condition fell below your standards. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Just came back home after 1 week trip. Chiang Mai is very impressive! I have joint almost all the tours recommended by the Concierge. The tour company Touring Chiang Mai was excellent.

The Concierge helped to planned out my tour, made reservations and provide advice on the timing, morning/afternoon, and alternative travel agency. One of the tour, City Temple and Museum was fully booked and I was disappointed.

But the Concierge supervisor, Winit, told me that the Temple and Museum tour can be done by myself. Indeed, I went to nearby Airport Plaza by free shuttle and had a cheap and good lunch 40B in the basement and continue the shuttle to a near by hotel in the city center and started my temple tour on foot.

I covered all the major temple in less than 3 hours. The old city wall of about 1.6km square was very unique. Inside the square are all the temple and museum, and countless of small and nice Cafe / Restaurants. Walking around on foot would be a lot better than joining a tour. Thank you for the great advice from Winit.

He also recommended another tour company for my Elephant Safari and Long Neck tour, after my preferred company Touring Chiang Mai was fully booked. It turned out to be good as well.

I had 1/2 day free before heading home. Winit recommended me to visit Morning market in China Town area. It is a Wet Market and Flower Market with many stores selling local breakfast in the morning. I told a TukTuk and it cost me only 80B. From China Town to the City Square was just a 10min walk. That was an unforgettable trip!

Other than Winit, there are 3 friendly and helpful Concierge who guide me on my trip planning and advice. They are Ms Saowapa, Ms DokFah and Mr Teera. All are outstanding!
One advice they provided : If I were to travel too far out of the City Square, getting a Cab back may be a problem. With that advice, I changed my travel plan!

Everything just worked out very well with their help!

The hotel itself is nice, 5 min trip to the night market is not a problem even you miss the free shuttle. Understand from the staffs that they have started to do renovation and some rooms have completed.

I am a platinum member and they upgraded me to a huge room with nice river view.
Have tried in their Chinese and River Terrace restn. Food was good!

Thank you for all the help!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo