“Decent Hotel By Chiang Mai Standards”

Holiday Inn Chiang Mai
Ranked #56 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
DeKalb, Illinois
“Decent Hotel By Chiang Mai Standards”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Overall, I don't have any major issues with this hotel though the rooms are a little dated and in need of refurbishment. The lobby is pretty nice though.

I think it has some pros and some cons which is why I have it 3 out of 5 stars. Check-in was easy but I was traveling with my wife (who is Thai) and her family and we asked for rooms which were not next to each other so we could have a little privacy. We asked the woman at reception twice actually but, to our dismay, she gave us adjoining rooms. Some room service items were good and some were pretty bad. It was very odd. Usually a place has good food or they have bad food. Here, it depends on what you order. Room service was pretty fast though. We wanted to eat at the Chinese restaurant called China Palace one night but there was nobody at the front to greet us so we had to walk around the restaurant looking for the staff. At that point, I refused to eat there because I found that to be quite unacceptable. The Lobby Bar was pretty boring but it was fine. This hotel serves massive amounts of tour groups so if you sit in the lobby you will see the never ending groups come in. Thankfully, it seems like they put them all on the same floors so as to not disturb other, smaller parties.

We did ask the concierge for tips and he was pretty bad with his recommendations. However, one of the bellboys hooked us up with his friend who owns a luxury van and for a very good price he drove us to Doi Suthep, Bhubing Palace, and the Chiang Mai Zoo in one day. The service was great from this driver. I would not stay here again because I would wAnt to be a little bit closer to the Old city area so I could walk around more to attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear jmcn5195,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good points of your stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I actually stayed at this property when it was a Sheraton and it was a dump. I was very happy to see it was now a Holiday and had some renovations done. I booked using points over the New Years Holiday which was a good deal considering the prices during that time.

Check in was ok but no real recognition of Platinum Priority Club status and no mention of any sort of upgrade. I assume no upgrade due to using points. They did give a list of benefits available to all Priority Club members which is includes a 15% discount at the River Terrace...that is the only one that I remember.

The room was much better than what I remembered it in the past with newer carpet, wall paper, bathroom tile and TV. You can still tell this is an very old property but it is adequate now.

Restaurant has very average food. Keep in mind the dinner buffet is 390THB on some nights so you have to imagine what quality you are going to get for that price. Again I found it adequate but nothing to rave about for sure. The breakfast buffet was often a madhouse and I found it better to arrive about 8.30AM as that is when most of the tour groups met so people should be out of the breakfast room by then.

The pool isn't very exciting nor very big. I went out there one day and there was maybe 6 or 8 lounge chairs out. Again, I guess the pool is adequate but very boring.

We used the transportation services of the hotel often it was reasonably priced and much more comfortable than a tuk tuk.

Staff were all friendly and extremely helpful during our visit but I will probably just continue to stay at other properties in Chiang Mai if I have an option.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear mcgahat,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. As an IHG Rewards Platinum Elite member we greatly appreciate your loyalty to our brand and hotel. I'm glad to hear you found our staff agent to be friendly and extremely helpful. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I would also like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of the room conditions. Rest assured that the issues you have raised including your restaurant experience has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is a very large hotel that needs renovation internally and externally. The rooms are spacious with all the necessary amenities. However there are stains on the carpets, linen etc, the A/C was freezing us even when it was shut off, there was no free wi-fi in the rooms,..the breakfasts were quite good. There is a small pool and a decent gym.the hotel is not within walking distance of th'might market, other hotels much closer.

Room Tip: River view not that impressive
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HolidayInnChiangmai, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Vksethi,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the hotel's condition.

Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver great service to our guests as your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Stella Jacobs
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I am booked for the stay from Jan 6 to 9, 2014. After settling the payment. I read controversial comments about this hotel which made me rather unsettled. The momemt I stepped into the lobby I experience surprises one after another. The enhancement of hotel facilities has made my stay a lot more comfortable than my initial imagination. Right now I am sitting in the lovely balcony enjoying the breakfast. The lesson I learn is not to fully rely on the web critique until I find things out on my own. Another wisdom is that if I bracket my mean and critical part I am more likely to enjoy the beauty of things and people.

Mr. and Mrs Wan from Hong Kong

Room Tip: Suggest to change the carpet and clean the dust inside the cabinet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanhai
HolidayInnChiangmai, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Wan,

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent stay. I will certainly share your comments with my team.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Chiangmai in the near future.

Stella Jacobs,
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed for six nights over New Years. We chose this hotel for the simple fact it was the only hotel in Chiang Mai that was willing to cater for a family of two adults and two children in one room. On arrival we were told that our room was not ready and that it would be a one hour wait however on complaining we were told that another room was available. This room was on the 25th floor and was in such poor decorative state that we refused it hands down. The second room was better but just as we were unpacking the door opened and other guests entered. They informed us that this was the room they had been allocated at reception. We called reception and admitted they had made a mistake. Finally after arriving almost one and a half hours earlier we were given 'our' room which was room number 2218. This was one of the newer refurbished rooms even though the shower control was broken!!!
On the first night we went into the restaurant to have dinner... Everything was fine until my daughter's (9 yrs old) burger came out... It was under cooked and smelt off. We immediately called the restaurant manager who was rude and abrupt and not taking any responsibility for the food that had been served. The manager proceeded to bring out the chef who was made to apologise and looked very embarrassed. We later found out the chef had been called in from Bangkok especially for the New Year's celebrations and actually worked for the Intercontinental.....he admitted to us that the food was very poor and that management staff were aware of this......suffice to say we never eat in the hotel again.
On the plus side the hotel staff are very helpful. There are tuk tuk's outside and the hotel is close to most sites and attractions. The swimming pool is clean and the sauna/ steam room is also good. Wi-fi is free although has an intermittent signal.......
The hotel was a very poor reflection on the other Holiday Inns that we have stayed in around the world....

Room Tip: The higher the room the better
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear SonnyFamily123,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We did appreciate to see the high score for Value. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a very large hotel that needs renovation internally and externally. The rooms are spatious with a sizeable living area, desk, mirror etc and all the necessary amenities. However there are stains on the carpets, linen etc, the A/C was freezing us even when it was shut off, there was no free wi-fi in the rooms, and the overall feeling was weary.

The hotel is near the night market which is not as nice or interesting as one might think and there is a shuttle service to several points of interest.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

A really enjoyable 4 night stay with very good food and room service and excellent all round staffing in a hotel nearly at capacity over New Year but still with time to ensure a great family short holiday with our 7 & 2 year olds being made very welcome

Definitely will return and my thanks to the receptionist who kindly helped us with an early check in but hats off to all

Room Tip: Do not worry about a city or river view and just try for one of the corner rooms and be aware that a...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
HolidayInnChiangmai, QCI Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Timbanks150,