“breakfast is the only downside” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Chiang Mai
Ranked #53 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Jakarta
“breakfast is the only downside”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed 10 nights in Chiang Mai and the last 5 nights (21 to 26 April 2014) we stayed in Holiday Inn. Location is not close to the old city but close to the night bazaar. Hotel provided free shuttle to the night bazaar. There is a market near the hotel and starting in the afternoon there are many hawkers food which is worth to try. We tried pad thai (fried noodle) for 25 bhat and some other local food are cheap in the market. Hotel room was spacious and clean. Staff speak very good English. They were very friendly and helpful especially at the reception and lobby. Staff at the restaurant were helpful and fast in serving. Breakfast had many choices but unfortunately the taste was not very delicious, a bit plain especially the fried rice. The cheese was not tasty either. Swimming pool is small but nice, clean and quiet. Internet connection was fast too.

Room Tip: It would be nice if you can get a room facing the Ping River.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnChiangmai, Quality & Continuous Improvement Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Ayojalanjalan,

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Chiangmai and for taking the time to share us a feedback.

I am pleased to read that our customer service level had met your satisfactions especially from Reception, Lobby and Restaurant. Appreciate to know that you had enjoyed the spacious and clean room, swimming pool and internet connection as well. We will certainly share your compliments with the concerned teams, as this will continue to encourage and boost their morale and create a “Great Hotel Guests Love”.

Regarding your comment on Breakfast, I was very concerned to learn of your disappointment on the taste of breakfast. I will address to our Executive Sous Chef for monitoring and improving accordingly. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you.

I do hope that in spite of this inconvenience, we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the improvement.

Quality & Continuous Improvement Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

This is a tricky hotel because you have to give a good tip to get a good room. The rooms are old and the better ones are the "tip rooms".
I enjoyed the van to the night markets but catch a tuck tuc back to the hotel because service ends at 10pm but you will want to shop til 1pm.... The night market is HUGE!!!!!!

The morning breakfast was yummy!!! Try having it outside on the terrace for a nice feel for Chiang Mai.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear pimptown,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on February 2014

We are pleased to read that you appreciated our location and the breakfast. I will certainly share your feedback with my respective team and it always helps to boost my team morale with positive comments.

Whilst we are pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. I am sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us.

Based on the room, I am pleased to share with you that the hotel started to do the room refurbishment since last year and unfortunately had to stop during high occupancy and now continues the room upgrade again which plan will be finished by this year.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon to experience the improvement.

Surassawadee Wanachroen
new delhi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Worst hotel in Chiang Mai. Traveled in April 2014 with group. They are not equipped to handle large groups it seems. Rooms are ok but, air-conditioning is bad. Air-conditioning only works in night. Lifts get stuck mid way. Food quality is pathetic. staff is not friendly at all. I would strongly recommend not to stay in this hotel when in Chiang Mai. There are better hotels in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: All the rooms need renovation.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank madho b
Dear madho b,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the shortfall service and facilities provided from the hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and please be assured that these will be looked into and that your comments will be used to monitor future improvements needed.

We do hope that in spite of these inconvenience, we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future to experience the improvement.

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Booked this place because we wanted a solid American chain before heading into back country. It was great.

LOCATION: City location, convenient.

GROUNDS: Despite being in the city center, is also located on the lovely Ping River, so you can get a taste of thai fisherman and authentic countryside as well.

AMENITIES: Plenty of public computers. Workout room is huge with tons of state of the art equipment ad amazing view of the city. VIP lounge has private dining on top floor and a concierge who will book flights among other things, very nice touch.

ROOM: Surprisingly large for a Holiday Inn, nice wood paneling and a level up from what you would get from the chain in the states.

FOOD: GREAT! Buffets at breakfast and dinner feature a massive array of choices, both western and thai, all use high quality ingredients and sophisticated, lovely tastes. I would go out of my way to eat here, even if I wasn't staying here.

STAFF: English is pretty good, watch their recommendations though, they overcharge through the gills if you book activities through them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lauren s,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and share your positive review during your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that the hotel exceeded your expectations and you have had a memorable stay with us recently. I will certainly share your positive comments with my team; these compliments will further boost their moral towards making Holiday Inn Chiangmai – “Great Hotels Guests Love”.

Thank you once again for your time to write us a great review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kochi (Cochin), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I happened to stay at this hotel from 24 April 2014 to 27april 14 .the check in was the time morning 12 which prolonged toll 2.30pm as there were no cleaned rooms available..as there was huge rush in the hotel . They could not give smoking room.the food provided were that veg food was served near no veg on the same table.the stall were very courteous but none of them know basic English which was a great problem for me.i was not happy as initially they said they will provide free transport to and fro city. ,but nothing was given.iam unhappy at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnChiangmai, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Deepcoc,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations during your stay at our hotel and I very much welcome your feedback. Our guests are our upmost priority and we strive to ensure that every guest has a very enjoyable time at the Hotel.

My apologies that your room was not ready upon your arrival. We make every attempt to have as many of our rooms ready by 2pm, unfortunately due to high occupancy and our desire to accommodate the request was the cause of the delay.

I have also addressed the issues raised with regards to the vegetarian food, the communication skills of staffs and the shuttle service with the relevant department heads and especially with Front Office Manager, Head of Concierge and Assistant Food and Beverage Manager to ensure our guests receive a high standard of service at all times as we are always working hard to create A Great Hotel Guests Love.

Once again, I am sorry for any shortfalls in service you may have experienced and I sincerely hope you will give us a another opportunity to better serve you in the future. I would like to offer my personal assistance with your next room reservation. Please do contact me at stella.jacobs@ihg.com

Stella Jacobs
Gympie, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

The service was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!! Our family of four in (two interconnecting rooms) stayed for 14 nights and had a wonderful time. The staff were friendly, and as "long timers" we got to know some by name. Honestly, the hotel needs an external paint job and the bathrooms could do with a bit of renovating. HOWEVER, those issues are insignificant when compared to the excellent service, friendly staff and great facilities.
All the staff and drivers were fantastic, and there were a several who really stood out for us and went the extra mile: Panadda, Anek, Pheerawat, Winnit, Padina, Pichanee,and Teera.

We loved our stay at the Holiday In Chiang Mai and would recommend it to anyone. We will return!

Room Tip: Ensure you ask for connecting rooms if required, and also book smoking / non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HolidayInnChiangmai, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear juzztinn,

Thank you very much for a wonderful caption and my team and I are happy to read your review on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Chiangmai.

You will be pleased that we have since started painting the exterior building of the hotel and this includes the annual cleaning and maintenance of the windows and plans to address the bathroom tiling.

Your wonderful comment about my Winning team means a lot to us as this further endorses our belief and it is a great testimony to their passion and dedication. We are extremely proud of our team and they are our greatest asset to the company.

I will share your comments with Panadda, Anek, Pheerawat, Winit, Panida, Pichanee, Teera and I am sure that they will be most pleased as they will receive the recognition via staff communication session, a dedicated board with your review and a personalized and appreciation note from me. Feedback like yours will help them to keep up the good work and continue towards their quest to built " Great Hotels,Guests Love".

I am looking forward to meet you and the family, so please do drop me an e-mail at stella.jacobs@ihg.com as I am sure my team is also looking forward to your next visit.

STELLA JACOBS
Chennai (Madras), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Good service, decent breakfast and reasonably accessible location. Extremely good value for money. Laundry, shops and coffee shops located close to hotel. Good concierge. The free shuttle could be more frequent in the evening.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear AchuthanPalat,

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Chiangmai and for taking the time to share you feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to know that your stay at our hotel was a great experience for you and that you enjoyed our facilities, breakfast and service provided by our staffs especially our concierge.

We also appreciate your recommendation on the shuttle service and we will look into it, guest feedback is a great way to find out the areas we need to improve on as we are always trying to create, "Great Hotels Guests Love".

Thank you once again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcome you back to Holiday Inn Chiang Mai for your next trip in the near future.

Stella Jacobs