“Good value, Great staff”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #46 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Hotel staff met us at airport as promised and on time. It is only a 10minute ride from the airport. Quick check-in. Room was decent, and clean, although a bit dated. We stayed here for a week while attending a conference. Easy to explore the city from here. The staff delivered flowers twice during our stay and candy every night around 6:30pm. The staff kept our room clean. The first night we went to a free welcome dinner that was very enjoyable. The dining room staff brought us multiple drinks of Thai whiskey. The breakfast buffet was great and I appreciated the fruit plate they brought to my table. Used room service a couple of times and the food was well prepared and delivered promptly. I felt that the hotel was a good value!

There are newer reviews for Empress Hotel

Reviewed 26 November 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 7 days in November 2012. We were here as part of a convention. We had a very nice room on the 17th floor. The attention to detail was fantastic. We were very comfortable the entire time.
And the breakfast buffet was outstanding.

1  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Recently my family and I stayed at the Empress hotel while I was attending a conference. The conference facilities at the hotel and conference center worked well for our organization. There were some IT problems for some of the presenters, but that is to be expected. The hotel was nice. We stayed in an adjoining room with one of our friends and were able to have the hotel staff open the door between the rooms. The room was comfortable and the staff there kept it clean. We did have to call for extra towels a few times as the two that we were given each day did not quite cover my family of 6. The bed was comfortable and our fifth floor room had a view of the city. Our kids enjoyed swimming in the hotel pool and the staff there seemed to be fairly friendly. The breakfast buffett had a good variety of food. One drawback was that because we were not in one of the deluxe rooms, certain basics were not provided. My wife went to ask at the front desk about conditioner for her hair, and they said that since our room was not a deluxe one it would be an additional charge. Also, there were signs all over the room about the hotel not assuming responsibility for valuables left in the room. There was no safe in the room, but safety deposit boxes were available behind the hotel reception area. I was a bit leary about leaving anything of value in the room, but nothing was ever stolen from us over the course of our stay. The location is good, with the night bazaar a short walking distance away. If you are looking for a shopping mall or grocery store, you might have to catch a taxi as though appeared to be a bit farther from the hotel.

1  Thank teacherworldtraveler
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here recently for a conference and while the conference facilities and catering were excellent, the accommodation leaves a lot to be desired. Service is patchy, some colleagues were fawned over, others (including me) were pretty much ignored. Rooms seem to vary considerably depending on...I have no idea, seeing I paid the same as everyone else in my party but ended up on a smoking floor (absolutely not requested) with no coffee or tea facilities. The room decor was frankly, pretty grim and the view is nothing to write home about. As the hotel was full, there was no point in requesting a change, though normally I would have.

On the upside, the breakfast buffet was very good, though if you sleep past the 10am finishing time you'll need to go elsewhere for food as there's nothing else until lunchtime. The pool bar is a nice place to hang out with friends.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms on the higher floors are nicer and less grim.
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Recently stayed at the Empress on a tour, found the room to be comfortable, relatively clean and well maintained. Bathroom was standard hotel issue, nothing outstanding or bad, adequate and in working order.
Breakfast buffet was quite good, with lots of variety
Lobby furniture is not comfortable at all if one has to wait in the lobby, could be improved.
Location was handy for a visit to the night market as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Garsan
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Nice hotel with a great reception and flower arrangement.
Life music entertainment (from the 70/80-ties) almost every night.
Hotel room don’t have a safe but the lobby provide lockers for free.
Wi-Fi is chargeable for booking made true agent, booking true the internet will get you free Wi-Fi. Should be free for all since these hotel is not that cheap compared to other hotel.

Never the less you can get free Wi-Fi at the BTC , less that 10 minutes walk.
BTC us a trendy restaurant owned by helpful Israeli guys who are very friendly with good food. We have seen people coming in just to internet but we find it appropriate that you at least buy a drink since they don’t charge you for the internet. The price of there food or drink is reasonable compared to restaurant wit such an nice lounge with good music and very comfortable chairs.

The breakfast is great with bread, waffels and all kind of Thai dishes and other things. The only thing that I didn’t like is that they didn’t chill the yoghurt enough so I was a bit afraid to have them.
Other than that all was fine.
They provide big towels for pool/sauna/gym or the sun beds. Staff is friendly en nice.
This hotel is used by some expats who stays here for several months an been here for many years as they told us. The Views (we had 2 different rooms) are very nice.

Airport fare from Chiang Mai Airport Taxi company to our hotel was 120 Bath.
This company is a co-operative so the drivers can pick you up from your hotel and bring you on a private tour to see the Long necks and Chedi Tempel with he 306 steps.
We paid 1000 bath for a whole day and it was up to us when what time to start or finish.
They speak good English better than the hotel staff. The Hotel can help you with all kind of tours but they are more expensive so we prefer to arrange our own tours with the taxi drivers.
You can negotiate for less if take more trips of with more people. They have Mini vans available

Room Tip: Since it not on an main road you wont have problem with noise or other things. Poolside room wil gi...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mungra
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Great and fantastic hotel in a good location and facilities. The room is big and clean and even my wife was impressed. My son's criteria of a hotel's facilities must include free wifi,and swimming pool and the hotel have what is required by me,i.e gym and suana. The service is good with friendly staff. The hotel makes up our beds with flowers and a box of chocolate every night on our 4 nights stay. The breakfast buffet is just great even for a fussy eater like my wife. The night market is just a walking distance and there is a great massage centre called Chiangmai Massage which is across the road. There is also a cafe beside the hotel called "Outside In" which has a reasonable price for coffee and home made cakes.. The bottom line is I would come back to stay in this hotel if ever I were to go back to Chiangmai for a holiday again. I would also highly recommend this hotel to my family, relative and friends.

Room Tip: The rooms with swimming pool view are quite good and sunny in the morning,
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family