“Terrific Stay”

Ranked #47 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Dubai
“Terrific Stay”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This is my third stay at The Empress and I am pleased to see it continues to live up to expectations! I have traveled throughout Thailand for the past nine years, experiencing many hotels, and what sets The Empress apart for me is their professional service, courtesy and personal care to detail. Because of this I tend to enjoy an extended stay there of about two weeks.

This time, I arrived well before check-in but was immediately shown two spacious rooms to choose from--I chose the one with the king sized bed and dining area. Within the hour I had free wifi for my entire stay, a sumptuous fruit plate of local fruit including mangosteen (yum yum), bouquets of flowers, and a gift bag full of sweet and savory treats. That evening, as I turned in my key (customary when leaving the hotel) reception announced I had a complimentary dinner as well. Throughout my stay daily newspapers, fruit plates, fresh flowers, and goody bags were delivered again!

To keep this short, everything required for an effortless enjoyable stay is provided: the rooms are clean, the ac easily adjustable, plenty of hot/cold water at your disposal, safe deposit box (as well as another secure box available in their businessman center), mini fridge, complimentary drinking water and an atm machine on the property. You can fill your days with adventure and be rest assured a comfortable friendly hotel is waiting for you upon your return. There is even a descent sized clean pool to cool off in-chilly but refreshing.

Chiang Mai is a welcomed escape, and The Empress a home away from home. I will definitely return next year!

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Balen, Belgium
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at The Empress. Where in most Thai hotels a 'triple' room turned out to be a double room with an extra bed, the triple room we got in The Empress was a spacious room with three 'permanent' beds. The breakfast is both Thai and intercontinental, and is very good. According to our son, the pool was a bit too cold.
You have to take a taxi to the old center, but the night bazaar is only a 10 minutes walk away.
The hotel offers wifi, but you have to pay (50 baht/3 hours and only one connected device. So if we wanted to use wifi at the same time, we had to pay for two codes). Most frustrating was that in our room the connectivity was bad, and even during non-peak hours the connection was much slower than in many hotels offering free wifi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We have never enjoyed such service as we had in this hotel. We had flowers delivered to our room each day. The free breakfast had several courses with a huge variety. We received a welcome gift, free supper, a wecome drink, fruit basket, and a large bag of goodies including chocolates. We also received free shuttle to and from the airport. The genuine service was exceptional by all staff. The room was large and comfortable. The pool, spa and exercise room were all well equipped. We received several gifts during our stay (necklace, salt and pepper shakers, key chains, and a bouquet of roses). The maid turn down our bed and adorned our pillow with orchids. We would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Our room looked out to the pool. We also stay on the 17th floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have stayed here twice now and have found the staff here to be very warm and welcoming hence our return for a second time. The location is just a 10 minute walk to the Night Bazaar but just outside of the busy area so it is not too noisy. The rooms are typical Thai / Chiang Mai traditional style and are comfortable. The buffet breakfast is average but if you get a Thai set dinner included as part of your package make sure you use it as the service we received at dinner was up there with the best service possible. The only issue we had was that there was a leak from the roof in the bathroom but that was fixed basically as soon as we reported it. We will stay here again during our next visit to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank The777Man
Liverpool
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the empress hotel for 6 nights. Hotel website states that all rooms have wifi access. That's true but you have to pay for it and get a new code every 3 hours so be aware of that. The rooms are big but old fashioned & there was a small step leading to the bathroom which i felt was dangerous and not labelled. There are only 2 English channels that are news on the boom box tvs. I know you aren't on holiday to watch tv but it's sometimes nice to have a quiet night in and maybe watch a film? We had a meal at the restaurant on site and I was ill the next day so I wouldn't recommend the "luxury beef burger" as it certainly didn't taste like beef. I had 4 bites before deciding it didn't taste right (It was the only thing I'd eaten so couldn't have been anything else). The night bazaar is about a 20 minute walk away and I'd recommend the 3d art museum which is a 5 minute walk away and lots of fun! Thank you empress but you can do so much better with the food and sort out free wifi! :) All in all the hotel is "ok". I feel I could have got better value elsewhere though.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank AnthonyMc85
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

On the south side of town about 10 minutes walk from the night market.
Very welcoming and good service from staff. The hotel is well maintained but hadn't been updated from its original 1970's build- will probably need in the near future. A nice pool
Good value for money

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank David B
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our second stop on our honeymoon - having just come from the Banyan Tree in Bangkok - we picked this hotel knowing that it wasn't the same luxury we had come from and were fine with that.

The hotel was quite dated but very clean and comfortable. We spent some time at the pool which again is clean and comfortable.

It is within walking distance to the night market etc and I would recommend this hotel - it was worth the price we paid.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple