“Impressive Lobby avarage hotel”

Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel
Ranked #154 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Impressive Lobby avarage hotel”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Over priced. The lobby is oddly opulent and I think that is what your pay for because the rooms are outdated and aged but clean and comfortable.
I was really disappointed with the gym equipment as it was super old and there is not much of it.
Another disappointment was that they advertised a sauna which apparently has been closed for a while.
The highlight was the abundant breakfast and their New Year celebration. It was a great cultural event and it was free for hotel guests. I really enjoyed it.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Projector79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 January 2012

We stayed there over 2012 New year. We got there with an expectation that we would have a great time. However, when we tried to check in, front desk Staffs were very bad and rude. We have never experienced this kind of staff before. Very disappointed indeed. We booked via Agoda and specified that we had one child. When we got there, staff without any much help wanted to charge for a child in addition to the expensive price that we paid. He (his name is Thittasak) also said that if my child went up just to see the room, we would have to pay 600baht just to get up and see (not to stay) the room. How is that possible? There is no help offer, no smile, no nothing. When we finally got to the room, again very disappointed because we expected rooms to be more updated and newer furniture. The remote control in our room was broken and we called front desk to fix it but they just ignored and it has never been fixed for 2 nights that we stayed there. We did ask for the manager, the staff said there is no manager, no name or no last name. Very poor management!. The expensive gala dinner for new year night was also very disappointed in quality and quantity and lack of space to sit. we have to walk several times back and forth just to have a taste of something. Some dishes were out so you have to wait in line for it. If you wanted to drink Alcohol, you would have to pay for it. Overall, I will say this hotel is overpriced and bad staff. Things that need to be improved at once 1) train your staff 2) hire a good manager and 3) update rooms. As my conclusion, we will not go back there again ever even though it is a good location. I will not recommend any friends or anybody to stay there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times, for about 3 days a time.

The first time was in January/Feb 2011 and Decemeber 2011. The first time I didn't expect to much but was a little suprise. Staff seemed attentive, but a little laid back. All in All an okay experience.

My most recent experience was not pleasant. I asked to have a King Room (which I think I paid for) I received a room with 2 twin beds (when I asked to have the beds made up together there response to this was "can not".

The internet is overpriced. Breakfast is average at best. Pool staff, slow and lazy - I found two staff asleep at one point (one under a chair with a towel covering them and the other in the chair - in plain site of all customers. It was 2pm in the afternoon)

The rooms are cheap enough, but outdated, old and the furniture is falling apart.

The bell staff took 1 hour to deliver our bags and we called them 3 times.

Not attentive and overall they have let themselves down. I will not be staying there again.

I moved to the Holiday Inn on the last day for 1 night, because they increased the price on the 30th of December for NYE and that was remarkable considering the price (about the same).

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Cheap, greedy best describes the Internet connection policy of this hotel. By charging its guests 5 Euro for an hour of Internet connection, the management of the Chiang Mai Plaza hotel sticks its finger in its eye by aggravating and annoying its guests. If you book with agoda.com, be ready for hassles. Agoda grabs your money and debits your credit card as soon as you book. Should you decide to check out early, Chiang Mai Plaza management wont issue a refund for the unused portion of your reservation. They tell you to contact agoda. If you ask for a statement, Chiang Mai Plaza management refuses. I had to fight to have a signed piece of blank paper, with a hotel stamp, attesting to the date I checked out. Plus the arrogant louts wanted me to sign a discharge saying I abandoned my rights to a refund for the unused portion of my reservation. All other aspects of the hotel are recommendable – room size and cleanliness, combine to give the Chiang Mai Plaza a 3 out of 10 with its rating ruined by stupid charges, arrogance and front desk personnel who speak pidgin English. A word to the wise – free Internet access is available at a café 100 meters down the street from the hotel for the price of a cup of tea!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank arthur l
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Plus and minus sides to the Plaza.
Plus: Great location, good rooms, well worth the update to a DeLuxe room.
Minus: Reception was very slow, 50 mins to check in, breakfast was tasteless.
I will choose one of the many nearby hotels next time as this hotel is near everything. The river, nightmarket, daytime shopping are all walking distance and the city gates area is a 15 min taxi.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for a good sleep and a non smoking room if you do not want the smell.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 29 December 2011

nSo sweet stay, the hotel is well-equipped and very clean. Will recommend my friend and bring my mom to stay here next trip.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We liked this large older hotel with a nice pool. Our firends who visited Chiang Mai also liked the hotel with an impressive lobby and nice breakfast buffet. Very comfortable.
No balconies though.