“Disgusted!!/ worst hotel I have ever stayed in/ ANTS IN BED!!!”

Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel
Ranked #158 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Disgusted!!/ worst hotel I have ever stayed in/ ANTS IN BED!!!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights we were overwhelmed by the entrance to the hotel however when we went to check in staff were not very nice at all and looked like they were gonna fall asleep.

However on entering room was very shocked to find the room was really old, depressing and smelled funny like no one had stayed here in a long time, windows had cobwebs and bed sheets were damp. I went down to reception and asked could we move to a cleaner room, they whispered amongst themselves, laughing etc and said if we moved it would be two single beds because the hotel was full. I decided to stay in he room.

On the 3rd night of our stay we were in bed sleeping and i felt something crawling over my arm switched on the light to find an ants crawling all around my pillow/ bedside table and on the bed. We called reception and they moved us to another room with a double bed SURPRISINGLY as we were told the hotel was full?? In the room below the sheet was hair (pubic hair) DISGUSTING. I decided I couldn't stay here another night, after a sleepless night and the annoyance, we packed up our stuff and went down to check out...IT GETS BETTER

Reception stated we had to pay for the 3 nights even though the third night had been sleepless and we had to pack up our things and move room at 12 am. The receptionist dealing with us walked away from us laughing and speaking to her colleuge.

She sent a man over who said we had stayed in the room therefore we would b paying for it. ANTS seemed completely normal to them and they didn't see any problem with this. After not getting anywere we payed and left having to book into another hotel for our last night which cost more money. We realised 2 days later they had taken the money from our account for the fourth night without permission after giving us a receipt stating they took 3 nights, all i can say is terrible customer service and you wouldnt treat an animal the way they treated us. My advice is DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. You will be dissappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loreena M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kenmare, Kerry, Ireland
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We arrived at the hotel and the place looked amazing! Massive marble pillers! Really impressive. Check in was ok and we were told we had a room on the 11th floor having been travelling for hours, we went straight to the room. To our disspointment the room had a strong horrible smell and had twin beds despite having booked and paid for a double. We went back down to reception to ask about a new room and the manager proceeded to shout at us saying the hotel was full and that it was what we had booked. When I produced an email stating double and non smoking, he stormed off shouting at the receptionist who came back and gave us keys to a room that they didn't have two minutes previously. This room was better but still not of a good standard! Bathroom was old and outdated, curtains were broken so sunlight came in at 6.30 am, tv was small and old, fridge made loud banging noises all night and most of the light switches didn't work. Wifi is also terrible. Breakfast was equally disappointing. No warm welcome like we have received everywhere else in thailand. Most food was cold, when I asked if there were any more eggs the waitress didn't say anything just walked away. The room is also covered in Mosquitos! Overall not worth the money and would never go back. Rooms really need to be updated!!!! And manager needs to learn what the hospitality industry is.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Keara_59

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

southernengland
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Exceptional value for a hotel of this kind. Amazing entrance and reception hall but showing signs of wear and tear. That said the rooms were clean and met all our needs and the pool and changing rooms were very good. Staff, although very pleasant, we're unable to answer most questions. Either they were unfamiliar with the area or did not understand us. The breakfast choices were amazing. Chinese, Continental, omelettes cooked to order, cereals, Vietnamese, Thai, cooked English and lashings of coffee and tea. Good to start the day. The hotel is well situated for the Night Market and Walking Market and a tuk tuk to the train station and airport were 100 and 150 baht respectively.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Me and my wife stayed here for a week in early January...having booked several nights accommodation in advance....it would have been nice for the Hotel to send someone out to meet us at Chiang Mai airport.....anyway...got a taxi to the hotel(150 baht)....from the outside the hotel looks like any other hotel....and has plenty of parking facilities for all forms of transport....the reception area is truly amazing!
It oozes class and the Thai décor is wonderful......lots of seating....and a superb place just to chill and unwind!
Reception staff were smartly dressed and polite....unfortunately their spoken English was limited...luckily I am quite fluent in Thai.....as is my wife so that improved things somewhat.
Again....the reception area and adjoining corridors/shops are well worth a walk round...Thai art is in abundance everywhere....I actually thought that based on my positive impression of this area of the Hotel....our room would surely be as good!
I was wrong!
The bedrooms do not match in any shape or form the splendour and sheer opulence of the reception area......basically....the bedrooms looked tired and very dated.
Rooms were quite clean...bed sheets changed daily....view from our hotel window overlooking the city were superb.
Showers facilities were ok,but again.....the bathroom looked tired and dated.
Breakfast was included in the price we payed and I must say the breakfast choice was brilliant and appealed to all taste buds no doubt.
American, Asian, and European tastes were all catered for by the hotel and staff who worked in the breakfast suite.
I must say that the staff at the hotel are a credit to the place.
From the reception staff, to the cleaners, to the Thai lady who greeted us each morning when we handed our voucher over were all professional and polite...and I can't praise them enough!
Another good thing about this hotel is its location.
You are literally a few minutes walk from the Night Bazar.....and all the other attractions this city offers.
I must say that there is a terrific Thai restaurant right in front of the hotel that offers superb Thai food and drink and very reasonable prices...well worth a visit.
Some of the meals I had there over several days was the best Thai food I have had in many a year.
Even local beers were cheap!!!
All in all...this Hotel is good....but rooms need to match the superb reception area.
Great location.
Reasonably priced and clean hotel.
Fast and efficient lifts!!!
Great breakfast facilities and shops!
And the staff at this hotel are all excellent.
Would I stay there again.....without a doubt....Chiang Mai Plaza is a hotel with character.
I love this hotel....and was really sad to leave it as they people who work there and the hotel itself are unique and full of character.

Room Tip: Get one at the front of the building high up overlooking the city!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Booked for 4 nights through booking.com......was disappointed from the moment we arrived. The rooms (we had 2 connecting) were filthy and smelly.....clearly smoking had been mandatory for these rooms...there was also a smell of cats piss.

Breakfast was dire....so much beautiful food available in Chiang Mai, this hotel was the antipathy of that, seriously disappointing.....even the poor quality bread could not be improved by toasting as the industrial toaster seemed to refuse to toast bread.... after 2 or even 3 circuits.

The real rub came for me with the lack of flexibility/greed shown by the management. We needed to check out a day early due to circumstances beyond our control. Booking.com emailed the hotel requesting this on our behalf. We were booked on a 'no refund' basis, we understand that and knew that they were within their rights to say no. However, the management blamed this on Booking.com not on the policies of the hotel...this was clearly not the case. I asked politely, they referred it up the management chain and asked me to go back later. I did. They ignored me. When I went back again there was another party asking for an extension to their booking....the hotel was fully booked. I offered them our rooms... The management said that I could not transfer this and then admitted to me that they would on sell our rooms if I checked out early....even then they would not offer a refund. I spoke with another manager who explained that they could not change the policy but offered to pay my small bar bill as an acknowledgement. On check out, the staff refused this offer saying that they did not understand! The manager was conveniently unavailable. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Caveman1801
Australia
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I was recently in Chiang Mai for a conference. The organisers had booked me into the Chiang Mai Plaza. The location of the hotel was perfect for what I needed to do, as it was just a few minutes' walk to the conference. Because the room was booked for me, I don't know how much they paid.

My experience here was a really mixed bag. The hotel is old, but as others have noted, quite grand. My room was excellent and, although the breakfast is very ordinary, eating it in the beautiful outdoor area on a crisp February morning made a lovely start to the day.

Now for the brickbats. Service on arrival is appalling - by far the worst I have experienced anywhere, and I travel a LOT. No-one helped me with my bags on arrival. As others have noted, it's absolutely not possible to check in before 2 pm. When I asked for some information about things I could do nearby while waiting, the receptionist was very unhelpful.

When 2 pm came, things got a lot worse. Luckily I had passed some of the time reading Tripadvisor reviews, so I knew that getting a non-smoking room could be a challenge. It was indeed. I explained that I really needed a non-smoking room because I suffer from asthma. The receptionist assured me my room was non-smoking. I asked a couple of more times just to make sure, and got the same answer, but something wasn't very convincing. When I asked a fourth time, the supervisor told her to move me to the non-smoking floor. Turns out that I hadn't been in a non-smoking room at all. (The non-smoking floor was great BTW - but I don't understand why front desk staff would stand there and repeatedly tell a bald-faced lie when it's obviously something that really matters to the guest.) THEN I was told to collect my bag myself from the concierge. No biggie, except that the concierge was not there, even though he must have known that there would be a flood of people checking in at 2 pm. I waited a good 10 minutes then complained to the front desk. Instead of just getting my bag (I had a luggage tag), they escorted me through the staff quarters to get it myself. Next morning of course I found out that I should have had vouchers for breakfast. No mention had been made of this to me upon check-in. Instead of just taking note of my room number, they made me sign for eating, a process which took an inordinate amount of time.

To be fair, not all the staff have been this bad. A very helpful young woman attended to me when I went to collect my breakfast vouchers for the rest of the stay. But I can't understand why, in Thailand of all places, they don't just fix all these aspects of service that would be so easily fixed.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are really insistent if you want a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Global_academic
Mudgeeraba, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Second stay at this property. Last stay was 7 years ago. I only stayed here as everything else was booked out.
For an old dated Hotel it is maintained well, but it is dated. The entrance is in traditional Thai Lana style and does not date and still looks great. The rooms was clean but smelt. The breakfast was average but fresh.
It is a cheap hotel and if you are on a tight budget it offers good value for money.
Do not expect a non smoking room as I do not believe they exist. This is the second time I specifically requested a non smoking room due to my allergies and both time I was told I was in one yet they had ash trays in the room and it smelt like smoke.
I also found the service has gone backwards and the internet is hopeless.
I will never be back to this property in its current state.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends