“Medium hotel. Not first choice next time.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel

Chiang Mai Plaza Hotel
Ranked #186 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Ebeltoft, Denmark
“Medium hotel. Not first choice next time.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Pool area large but water rather cold, even my kids had enough after 10 min.
( Normally I have to force them up )

~6 min. walk from night bazar, rather spacey rooms ( we stayed at standard rooms ), and helpfull staff.

Breakfast western/local style, but missed the option to order an fresh omelet, fried egg or simular. Something most other hotels offer, in generel no big complains, but we will choose another hotel next time, since pool/breakfast can be better at the same price elsewhere within the 5-10 min. walk to night bazar.

Room Tip: The old rooms on 3 floor have a small balcony, with a bad view and no chairs/table. But we really li...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

For the part of our trip in Thailand my boyfriend and I were staying a week in the north. Out of the 7 days we needed a hotel for 3 nights. We spent our last two nights in chiang mai here.

The location is great very close to the night market. I liked this location much more than when we stayed in guesthouse by the old city gate.

The room was very clean we had a nice king bed in our room. The staff brought us whatever we needed to our room late night.

The two drawbacks of the hotel were the following: the floor we were staying on smelt like smoke. Heavy cigarettes all the time thank goodness it didn't make our room smell. As well as the free breakfast that comes with the hotel is horrible.

Would i stay there again.. Yes probably.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week, to cut a long storey short, ants in our bed, possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced and to top it all off, charged my credit card after I left without my consent for a night we didn't stay, after we had to leave because of the ant infestation.
We didn't even get an apology and the reception staff and duty manager basically ignored us!
Chiang Mai is a beautiful city but this hotel and there staff are an embarrassment to the whole country because I have received excellent service everywhere else.
The hotel itself is outdated , smelly and quite depressing.
If I could give it 'no' stars I would!
Stay well away from this dump....

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Timspeed77

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights we were overwhelmed by the entrance to the hotel however when we went to check in staff were not very nice at all and looked like they were gonna fall asleep.

However on entering room was very shocked to find the room was really old, depressing and smelled funny like no one had stayed here in a long time, windows had cobwebs and bed sheets were damp. I went down to reception and asked could we move to a cleaner room, they whispered amongst themselves, laughing etc and said if we moved it would be two single beds because the hotel was full. I decided to stay in he room.

On the 3rd night of our stay we were in bed sleeping and i felt something crawling over my arm switched on the light to find an ants crawling all around my pillow/ bedside table and on the bed. We called reception and they moved us to another room with a double bed SURPRISINGLY as we were told the hotel was full?? In the room below the sheet was hair (pubic hair) DISGUSTING. I decided I couldn't stay here another night, after a sleepless night and the annoyance, we packed up our stuff and went down to check out...IT GETS BETTER

Reception stated we had to pay for the 3 nights even though the third night had been sleepless and we had to pack up our things and move room at 12 am. The receptionist dealing with us walked away from us laughing and speaking to her colleuge.

She sent a man over who said we had stayed in the room therefore we would b paying for it. ANTS seemed completely normal to them and they didn't see any problem with this. After not getting anywere we payed and left having to book into another hotel for our last night which cost more money. We realised 2 days later they had taken the money from our account for the fourth night without permission after giving us a receipt stating they took 3 nights, all i can say is terrible customer service and you wouldnt treat an animal the way they treated us. My advice is DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL. You will be dissappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Loreena M
Kenmare, Kerry, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We arrived at the hotel and the place looked amazing! Massive marble pillers! Really impressive. Check in was ok and we were told we had a room on the 11th floor having been travelling for hours, we went straight to the room. To our disspointment the room had a strong horrible smell and had twin beds despite having booked and paid for a double. We went back down to reception to ask about a new room and the manager proceeded to shout at us saying the hotel was full and that it was what we had booked. When I produced an email stating double and non smoking, he stormed off shouting at the receptionist who came back and gave us keys to a room that they didn't have two minutes previously. This room was better but still not of a good standard! Bathroom was old and outdated, curtains were broken so sunlight came in at 6.30 am, tv was small and old, fridge made loud banging noises all night and most of the light switches didn't work. Wifi is also terrible. Breakfast was equally disappointing. No warm welcome like we have received everywhere else in thailand. Most food was cold, when I asked if there were any more eggs the waitress didn't say anything just walked away. The room is also covered in Mosquitos! Overall not worth the money and would never go back. Rooms really need to be updated!!!! And manager needs to learn what the hospitality industry is.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Keara_59
southernengland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Exceptional value for a hotel of this kind. Amazing entrance and reception hall but showing signs of wear and tear. That said the rooms were clean and met all our needs and the pool and changing rooms were very good. Staff, although very pleasant, we're unable to answer most questions. Either they were unfamiliar with the area or did not understand us. The breakfast choices were amazing. Chinese, Continental, omelettes cooked to order, cereals, Vietnamese, Thai, cooked English and lashings of coffee and tea. Good to start the day. The hotel is well situated for the Night Market and Walking Market and a tuk tuk to the train station and airport were 100 and 150 baht respectively.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Me and my wife stayed here for a week in early January...having booked several nights accommodation in advance....it would have been nice for the Hotel to send someone out to meet us at Chiang Mai airport.....anyway...got a taxi to the hotel(150 baht)....from the outside the hotel looks like any other hotel....and has plenty of parking facilities for all forms of transport....the reception area is truly amazing!
It oozes class and the Thai décor is wonderful......lots of seating....and a superb place just to chill and unwind!
Reception staff were smartly dressed and polite....unfortunately their spoken English was limited...luckily I am quite fluent in Thai.....as is my wife so that improved things somewhat.
Again....the reception area and adjoining corridors/shops are well worth a walk round...Thai art is in abundance everywhere....I actually thought that based on my positive impression of this area of the Hotel....our room would surely be as good!
I was wrong!
The bedrooms do not match in any shape or form the splendour and sheer opulence of the reception area......basically....the bedrooms looked tired and very dated.
Rooms were quite clean...bed sheets changed daily....view from our hotel window overlooking the city were superb.
Showers facilities were ok,but again.....the bathroom looked tired and dated.
Breakfast was included in the price we payed and I must say the breakfast choice was brilliant and appealed to all taste buds no doubt.
American, Asian, and European tastes were all catered for by the hotel and staff who worked in the breakfast suite.
I must say that the staff at the hotel are a credit to the place.
From the reception staff, to the cleaners, to the Thai lady who greeted us each morning when we handed our voucher over were all professional and polite...and I can't praise them enough!
Another good thing about this hotel is its location.
You are literally a few minutes walk from the Night Bazar.....and all the other attractions this city offers.
I must say that there is a terrific Thai restaurant right in front of the hotel that offers superb Thai food and drink and very reasonable prices...well worth a visit.
Some of the meals I had there over several days was the best Thai food I have had in many a year.
Even local beers were cheap!!!
All in all...this Hotel is good....but rooms need to match the superb reception area.
Great location.
Reasonably priced and clean hotel.
Fast and efficient lifts!!!
Great breakfast facilities and shops!
And the staff at this hotel are all excellent.
Would I stay there again.....without a doubt....Chiang Mai Plaza is a hotel with character.
I love this hotel....and was really sad to leave it as they people who work there and the hotel itself are unique and full of character.

Room Tip: Get one at the front of the building high up overlooking the city!!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple