“Good location but more expensive than most”
Review of Varada Place

Varada Place
Ranked #25 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Verada Place was a nice hotel. Our first room was facing a building site, which was very loud early in the morning. We asked to be moved and they did straight away. The rooms are cleaned every day with fresh bottled water appearing in the fridge, which is a very nice touch. The location is great, as it's situated just outside the old city.

The only negative was a slight lack of service at the front desk. Verada and her husband were there on our first day and helped us plan some of our stay. On the other days, however, the reception was closed and there wasn't anybody there. This wasn't a big problem - it just meant that we had to book things like a scooter and a cooking class elsewhere. The other issue was that nobody was around when we checked out, so we couldn't get our small deposit back.

We wouldn't usually expect people to be at the front desk all of the time, but you do pay a bit more to stay here so thought they could have been present a bit more.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OllyM528
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your coming to my place . I am apologize for your key deposit ( 100 THB ) . I always bring that money for donation when customer did not get a key deposit back .

I know that is a problem for my place . I have not people at my place only between 07.00-08.00 am . 1) my house keeper start at 08.00 -18.00 every day .
2) my security guard start at 18.00- 07.00 every night .

I forgot to asking you that what time you will be check out from my place . Actually I asked customer then I let customer know my problem . Sometime customer did not get a return ticket yet or extend to stay more their booking . So some of customer let me know and some of them did not let me know .
Anyway if you stay in UK , would you mind to let me know your bank account then I will be transfer your money for you because I have my bank account in UK . It is very easy for me to do that . You can e-mail to me at varadaplace @hotmail.com

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Hello, you, traveller, looking for the best value for money. Do not look further. This is the right choice. Big, perfect rooms. Clean. With all comfort at a very reasonable price. Not far from the center of the town and in a minutes walking from a big store center. Finally, Mrs Varada is perfect. I stayed there 7 nights and for sure, and with no doubt, I will return again there for my next visit in Chiang Mai. Gianni. Switzerland.

1  Thank Giannuzzu

Thank you for your writing for my place . I know you are very enjoying in Chiang Mai . You are very busy every day because you have had explore a lot of places in my city . Hope fully you will be back again next time .

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed for two nights at Varada and the rooms were comfortable and well equipped. Excellent value. Varada was a nice lady and great host. She even helped us to arrange transportation to the attractions and allowed us to use her bicycles for no charge. The bicycles were extremely useful for us to travel around the city. The wifi was extremely good as well!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for your coming to Chiang Mai and stay at my place . Both of you always ready to go out and explore my city . It is a great thing that you can ride bicycle because it is helpful and save your time . You must have more day in Chiang Mai next time .
Regard

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed at Varada Place for a week in January: Varada and her husband were extremely accomodating and honest. Staff(Cleaning & Security) were all in the same mode. Also excellently located across from the shopping center and nearby restaurants.

By the way, there is a varied selection of ethnic dishes offered within a very short walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much that you are happy with my place . You are a fit man and do not asking him that how old is he . You went to Lanna Moy Thai ( Thai boxing ) everyday . You are very lucky that your health are very good . I hope you will be decide to stay in Chiang Mai for your retirement .

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We stayed in this place for more than a week and highly recommend it, especially if it is your first trip to Chiang Mai. The owner Varada speaks fluent English and can tell you all about how to get round, where to go, what to do, etc.

It is located on the outskirts of the old city, which means most of the attractions are only 20B away. The Kad Suan Kaew mall is a 5 minutes walk and have an up-scale department store, a great supermarket and lots of decent food choices.

Just around the corners of the building, there are:
- one of the best Khao Soi restaurants
- one travel agency
- one excellent massage place (the one in the aisle around the corner on the right is much better than the one on the left)
- cheap laundry places
- excellent coffee places
- a popular cocktail bar (which was a minus for us due to the occasional noises but could be a plus for you)

The only issue we had with the place is that there is no place for kids to play. Once you get out of the door, you are on a street with many cars. Although this is offset by the fact that the Kad Suan Kaew mall has a great kids playground.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you that you stay with my place . You and your family are so nice , a special your son . He is a wonderful boy because he is a good boy such as eating , sleeping , playing and love to learn everything . I like him to say KOB KUN KRUB ( thank you ) . He is a happy boy . I hope when hegrowth up then he will be like my country and come to visit me again .
Thank you very much for your writing for my place .

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I arrived at Varada Place so sick I felt like I was at death’s door. I arrived early, before check-in time, but Varada allowed me to lie down in an empty room (for four hours!) until my room was ready. Seeing how weak I was, she then brought food to my room. This is obviously a level of personal service and kindness you would never receive in a corporate hotel.

Overall, the hotel is in a very convenient location. Walk a block to the main road and you can quickly hail one of the countless Chiang Mai songthaews that will take you to the city center in 10-15 minutes for 20 baht. One of the largest malls in the city is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel. There's a good coffeeshop (Bittersweet) a 5 minute walk away as well.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Varada Place is an excellent place to stay. Good rooms (with air con, fridge, hot shower, wifi, tv etc) for great value. The owner, Varada and her husband, were extremely friendly and helpful. As soon as we arrived, she sat us down and helped us plan our time to make sure we got the most out our stay in Chiang Mai (which was exactly what we needed). She also helped us organise laundry and let us store our baggage for the day before our late flight, and when she saw that we were lost with what to do with our last day she personally drove us to the market (even though we had already checked out a few hours before).
Only possible complaint I can think of was that there was some loud music on one of the nights from a nearby place though this didn't bother us too much and stopped at around midnight.
Would recommend Varada Place to anyone travelling to Chiang Mai.
Thank you Varada!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kirstin1993
Varada P, Owner at Varada Place, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for you writing to my place . Are you ok in Australia now ?
Yes , I need you to see hill tribe market at the Warolot Market . You still have time to do that so why not . It is easy for me on that way . I am hoping you got everything for you friend and your family .
See you next time .