“Clean place, good location, friendly owner. But rooms small and a bit dark.”
Review of Varada Place

Varada Place
Ranked #26 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I decided to stay at Varada based on the reviews on Tripadvisor.

First the good things:

The owner Varada is beyond helpful and knows Chiang Mai very well. She and her husband are always trying as much as possible to make their guests feel comfortable. I needed dishes, Varada brought some for me. I asked for a kettle, Varada brought a kettle to my room. No extra cost for these.

The room and the whole building is clean, very clean. I saw once the staff cleaning the tiles with a teeth brush. Everything is new and very well maintained.

The place is extremely safe. The is a security guard at night and at day time only people with key card can enter the building. I never worried about my stuff and nothing happened.

The furnitures in the room were good and new, comfortable bed, new fridge, microwave, a desk, 2 chairs, TV table, closet, and a night table with a lamp. Basically we had everything we needed. The bathroom was spacious with a seperate shower (no floor flood!), and the shower had a great water pressure.

If you stay 1 month, the room cost 4500 Baht/month (~100EUR) - definitely a great value.

The internet was good, fast and reliable. It's not free though, it cost 400 Baht extra (per month).

Good aircondition.

Location is fine, near the moat and 5 min walk to a shopping mall.

Now the not so good things.

The rooms were very cheap but come with a lot of extra costs, such as...
- Room cleaning cost 200 Baht every time and there is no way to say you don't need that or clean the room yourself. If you stay longer, Varada insists that her staff is cleaning your room every week and will charge you for it. So if you stay a month, consider another 800 Baht for cleaning.

- Bed sheet rental cost 500 Baht. Consider bringing your own.

- Even though I don't watch TV and actually the TV program was completely shut down for the last week because of the government, everyone has to pay 100 Baht for the TV per month.

- Electricity is 10 Baht per unit, that rate is quite high. The government rate is only 5 Baht and most other serviced apartments charge around 7 Baht. Maybe something to consider if you use a lot A/C.

There is a construction opposite of the building. For the complete time of our stay we woke up from the noise in the morning. Make sure to get a room on the backside, if the construction is still going on. There is also a bar next door which can be quite noisy, I would recommend not to stay at the site that faces the bar.

The rooms are very small. We had 2 single beds in the room, put together since we're a couple and it took a lot of space (2x2meter) - I wish we just had a queen size bed (140x200) and more space in the room. When my partner sat at the chair next to the desk, I would have jump over the bed to reach the bathroom as there was no space to pass.
The rooms are also quite dark, because the furnitures are black. We used the light all day as there is not much natural light coming from the balcony. We barely used the balcony as there was no table or anything outside, it was just occupied by the A/C. Basically the balcony is only for hanging clothes and not really inviting to sit and read a book there. The rooms are super clean, but not very cozy or giving any homey feeling.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, because the rooms were quite small for 2 people and definitely too dark for my taste. I really need bright and spacious rooms to feel comfortable for a long-term stay.

Would I recommend Varada to my friends? Yes! Definitely. Because I still think the place offers a great value for the price and because it's super clean and very safe. The owner makes a difference and she's really taking care of her guests.
Thanks for the hospitality, Ms. Varada.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank 365DaysSummer

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We arrived early in the morning and we very tired and received a very warm welcome. The lady provided us with a map and explained about the different attractions in Chiang Mai and the locations of the various markets. The guesthouse was spotless! Our room was perfect, very functional as it had everything we needed. We really enjoyed our stay and this place was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holly Ann W

Reviewed 21 May 2014

What really sets Verada Place above the others is Verada herself.  When I got to Chiang Mai, I arrived with what I think was food poisoning.  I was feeling miserable.  Upon hearing this, Verada insisted that I see a doctor right away and that she would drive me there.  I saw the doctor and was feeling better by the next day.

Aside from that, Verada was also very helpful in pointing out things to do and see in Chiang Mai as well as setting up our motorbike rental.

Our room at Verada Place had everything we needed: a refrigerator, microwave, clean shower, and a large bed.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone going to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NicholasE123

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here during Songkran 2014 and were beyond pleased. When we first arrived, Varada pulled out a map of Chiang Mai, showed us the city layout and where some fun and "touristy" things were. It was nice to have someone who knows the city show you the layout and where points of interest are that we may have otherwise overlooked. The location of Varada Place is perfect, we literally walked everywhere without a problem. The premise is very clean and the rooms are the perfect size and ours even had a balcony. Given the central location and proximity to all things fun, I was quite suprised how quite and calm the hotel was. After a long day/night of celebrating Songkran and bouncing around, it was great to be able to come back to a clean and quite room. Varada is super helpful with everything and such a nice woman, we would absolutely stay here again if we make it back to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alyx d

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed about 20 days at Varada Place. This was my 2ed trip to Chiang Mai. I liked this location better than staying in the Old City. It is a block north of the road that goes to the zoo and Chiang Mai University. It is also near the Old city for visits there. Varada Place is owned by a British man and his Thai wife. It is a couple of years old but still has the new feel. There is always staff at the hotel, a night watchman and either the cleaning staff or the owners during the day. There is not always someone in the office but find one of the maids and she will connect you by phone to the owners.

Room Tip: There was no noise in my room but there is a backpacker bar to the east of the hotel and it may be p...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank 13DavidC

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed there for five nights and found it a very comfortable quiet and peaceful place to stay and particularly good value! The room is reasonable size with a little balcony as well as your own fridge, microwave and water supplied every day. It is only about 10 minutes - 15 minutes walk to the old city and you can easily walk around the city from there. It was about an hours walk to the night bazaar so you are probably best getting a taxi or songathew there. There is also a good sandwich bar and shopping centre just down the road. Varada and her husband are very welcoming and give great advice as to how to get to the various attractions cheaply and there is a place next door where you can book tours.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelharris

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

If you want to see the city of Chiang Mai in a comfortable, spotless and well air conditioned room then varada place is a must! The moment we arrived Varada (the owner) sat us down for near 45
Minutes helping us plan our time in chiang mai, guiding us on how not to get ripped off by the locals! The room was basic, but all you ever need. We had a tv with over 50 channels including football (premier league, champions league and la liga) a large fridge in which we were encouraged to buy fresh fruit and store it there! There is no breakfast available however Varada points out all the nice food joints within walking distance! Just outside the city walls you can get to all the markets and bars in a 5 minute tuk tuk or red taxi costing anywhere from 40 baht to 100 baht! If you would like to see doi shutep and the zoo it is really easy to get a taxi to do you nice deal where they wait for you! Massage parlours next door where you can get a low priced, air coned massage. All round an amazing 4 night stay for us at Varada place, we could not recommend it more!!! YOU HAVE TO STAY HERE!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple