“Small hostel, great place”
Review of FWD House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
FWD House
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Only 10 beds and a bit more private, which might be less desirable for someone travelling alone.

Staff/owners are wonderful and super helpful. All of the activities planned for us have been great. Washroom and showers are clean and the box bed style is really nice. Location in old city is very convenient. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 6 July 2013

I want to love FWD House. It's a pretty new venture, set up by a lovely family and designed to provide a slightly different backpacker experience.

The service is great - Win and his team are immensely helpful and always provide service with a smile. It took a while for us to book in but this was a minor niggle. There's some free food available to snack on in the reception area, and you get a towel and slippers provided, with a large locker. It's all kept very clean.

There's no bar or restaurant, so the communal area is limited to the room and the reception area outside. Weirdly it is located above a primary school.

The beds are quite cool in that they are handmade wooden jobs which make a sort of private, office cubicle-like open plan bedroom. The plastic is still on the mattresses though, making them uncomfortable.

The main issue is simply that the place doesn't seem finished! None of the walls, beds, or bathrooms are painted - they're barely even furnished. The walls are lacking a layer of plasterboard on one side. Bathrooms are like stepping into a concrete cell, with guest notices penned onto the walls. A/C is switched off during the day but there are fans in the room - I just wish there were some furnishings - anything - to make it feel like somewhere you'd want to sleep. I've slept in better furnished tents!

The place could be wonderful, and the staff really are great, it's just that it's been opened before it's really finished. A lick of paint, some furnishings, and it could be spectacular.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2013

the owner is a very friendly and kind person, who gives good advise on the activities to participate and recommend good company to carry out the activities. family run guesthouse.. when joining the tour from the guesthouse, breakfast would also be provided.
if u are on a tight budget, i strongly recommend it.. on sundays, the Sunday market is right at its footstep..

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed at this place for 2 nights. It was cheap but that is pretty much the only good thing about this place. There seems to be bed bugs in the dorms. I woke up with insect bite marks all over my arms, legs and neck. Some other people were complaining about it too. Also, I find that the dorms are really hot even with the air-conditioning on which only gets turned on at 8pm. I recommend going to a different guest house.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ItalianDeutch
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We got a recommendation to stay at FWD House from a friend during our 5 week trip through SE Asia. We booked 3 nights when we arrived and were pleased to be received by some friendly staff. The outer reception area is somewhat detached from the sleeping area, which was strange and also brought up questions about the security of the place.

We stayed in a 12 person dorm with somewhat crappy bedding. The AC doesn't get turned on until 8 pm, which is fine, but a house staff comes in at 7.30am each day to turn it off along with the fans in the big room - still unsure as to why the fans needed to be turned off, but I disliked the whole ordeal. Additionally, the room took forever to get quiet given the number of people staying there, but I'm not sure if there were smaller rooms.

Overall, I would suggest searching around before booking this hostel. I've stayed at a good number of hostels and I know that things can get better here. 8USD/night/person was not even of incredible value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Arriving here at 5am, it did have a strange atmosphere, as there is only one dorm room and it can be very quiet, so if you're looking to meet lots of people there are probably better places.
Saying that, I enjoyed my stay here. It is very clean, the beds are the most private I have ever seen and the staff are helpful. Great location too.
Also the owner was extremely helpful when I couldn't find the hostel at 5am and came looking for me in the town. Considering how early it was, that was very decent of him so thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hostel is definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed at throughout my entire experience of traveling. The best for so many reasons. The owner, Win was so helpful, even before me and my friend arrived there. He helped us arranged some important activities to do in Chiang Mai for our short stay there. The bed-box was such a great idea, because it might give you privacy, with the locker attached to the bed itself. The bathroom and toilet were all clean and tidy. No, actually everything was so clean and neat. They even had shampoo and soap for you to use, in case you didn't bring them, like me. One thing that this hostel had many rules, which was good, I think, because that way every customer must behave and keep everything clean for others as well. And, the last cute thing is that they even gave us cute little notebooks before leaving the hostel, which of course I accepted happily.
If I ever came back again to Chiang Mai, I'd definitely stay at this hostel again ;)

Room Tip: I think, every bed-box is great, but maybe if you don't like cold, like me, you better prepare s...