“Awesome design, missing any sort of character”
Review of SOHOstel

SOHOstel
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This hostel has the potential to be so great, but as many people mention it's lacking a bit. I booked in here because it was Lunar New Year and this was all I could find on Agoda. I got a good price, but it would have been cheaper for my husband and I to have stayed in a guesthouse. You can definitely do a whole lot worse in Chiang Mai and if you're looking for something secure and clean this is a good spot.

Positives: immaculate facilities, big open areas and really comfortable beds. We stayed in a 7 bed dorm and I slept like a lamb, it was really quiet. AC was comfortable. Wifi is very fast and very reliable. The kitchen is huge and there is a public fridge and coin washing machines for use. There are staff cleaning all the time, so everything is pretty clean and the whole place feels brand new.

Negatives: no soap in the bathroom. It's annoying that you can't wash your hands...and it feels so cheap. This is coming from someone who is not a germaphobe at all....it just gets really annoying. Also, the beds are really rickity so I felt really bad getting up and down from the top bunk worried I'd be waking the person below. None of the added bonuses of staying at a hostel in the same price range are included in your stay, either......no free towels, no free breakfasts, etc.

Bottom line: not a bad place if you're solo, and if you get a good price on Agoda. If you're traveling with someone it is likely much better to just get a private room elsewhere in town. If you're someone who needs hostel staff that are eager to send you on tours and organize bar crawls you might look elsewhere. I felt they were friendly enough and didn't have any issues, and i liked that there wasn't any pressure to book tours or anything else. I found it to be a pretty quiet spot and didn't see any massive crowds of rowdy backpackers which was a nice change from a lot of the other places I've stayed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for SOHOstel

Reviewed 30 January 2014

this is by far the most "Euro" type of hostel I've seen in SE Asia. It's huge and modern and clean, and in walking distance to thapae gate and various food joints. the staff was completely without a personality, rare to find in Thailand! It is quite secure and quiet, it just lacked any kind of atmosphere that you find in most hostels. the hot water ran out late morning, and I had a cold shower (probably my own fault for showering later but would have expected more from the price I paid). there is a giant immaculate kitchen in the common area where you can cook your own food, too bad they don't serve breakfast or ANY perks with the space they have!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hostel is central in Chiang Mai but on a street that's a little seedy with a lot of gogo bars. More like Phuket than the rest of the city but an easy walk to the rest of the sights. The hostel has a stylish design all in black, white and red and has a nice common area downstairs. Dorm beds are clean and comfy with storage lockers for valuables. Towels have to be rented. Bathrooms were not always super-clean but I think this was because the place was busy and the bathrooms were always being used. I liked it.

Room Tip: The elevator is very slow so if you can be on a lower floor it is better.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Overall, it was not a bad hostel. It is located conveniently in a fairly touristy area with quite a number of pubs and a bit of night life, just down the road from the Night markets.

The foyer and common area were nice and modern and their facilities seemed fairly complete (Laundry facilities, internet/ wifi, kitchenette, bag holding facilities).

Perhaps we were expecting a lot more based on reviews, but we did not find all the facilities as clean and new as expected. We had a 3 person room with an attached bathroom that kept on flooding due to the design (water just goes everywhere as the shower head is just fixed to the wall in the corner of the bathroom). I also visited the public shared bathrooms as a consequence and found some of the fixtures seemed a bit worn/dirty doors didn't close properly etc.
My card key also decided to keep re-setting itself after the second day so we had to get it recoded a few times at the reception.

That said, the rest of the hostel was pretty good overall by SEAsian standards. I can't say it was really dirty per se, but it may not be as glowingly fresh and new anymore as some of the earlier reviews may suggest. Some of the tours they advertise seem a little pricey, so shopping around if you have the time may yield better value.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2014

This place was pretty awesome for a hostel! After staying in 2 really bad hostels I was relieved when I arrived here. Clean, fresh, modern facilities. Like the reviews said, the staff are pretty unfriendly however they get the job done and will book trips for you etc. Hostel is in a good location, in the city centre of Chiang Mai. Unfortunately as the place is so big, it lacks atmosphere and is almost impossible to meet other backpackers due to no main common area. But if you're looking for a nice quiet place with modern facilities then this is the place for you.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was our favourite hostel in SEAsia. The staff were super friendly, very helpful. We had the private room, it was very clean, very large comfy bed. Great location. great art work through out. I would totally recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed in a 12beds-dorm. Everything was very clean, spacious and seemed to be pretty new. Luggage storage is safe in a locked room. In the dormitory you also have a box which you can lock with your own locker. The staff is friendly and they really helped me out when I was in need (couldn't take my laundry back at a place on the street where I dropped it the day before because it was already closed. I couldn't get there earlier cause I was at the hospital, emergency. And had to depart very early the next day. The staff of the sohostel called the laundry place for me and explained my situation, so I could get my laundry).
I recommend this hostel to everybody!

3  Thank singGS12