Open today: 09:00 - 21:00

Book in advance
from
£22.78
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Galangal Cooking Studio
from £22.78
More Info
from £28.87
More Info
1,167 results
All reviews local market at home thai food recipe book great teacher private class spring rolls a lot of fun khao soi amazing experience visiting chiang mai dishes instructor thailand classes chef
Selected filters
Reviewed 14 January 2019

Overall, we had a really nice time during our full-day cooking class with Galangal Cooking Studio! They had a good flow to the day, whereby we switched back and forth between the kitchen and dining area for each course of the meal. (The added benefit was that the unused room was always being cleaned and prepped while we were busy in the other room. Cooking without the cleaning—yes!)

Most of the food we made was delicious!! Loved the coconut soup, spring rolls, pad see ew, and mango sticky rice. The only dish that fell flat for me was the Massaman Curry (which is usually one of my favorite dishes). I will try to make it again at home with some modifications.

There are a few things you should be aware of:

1. Confirm Your Booking Multiple Times - We encountered a lot of issues with booking. The immediate booking response email we received was incorrect. We immediately brought this to the company’s attention, and they assured us it had been taken care of. The day of our workshop, we waited around at our hotel—and no one showed up. When our hotel called to inquire about our ride, Galangal said they didn’t have our booking in the system. Fortunately, they still had space in their workshop and sent a private car so we could join the group. So, if your ride doesn’t show up, call immediately after the time period provided so you still have a chance to attend the workshop.

2. Be Careful If You Have a Special Diet - If you have any sort of food allergies or special dietary requests, be very careful. I told Galangal in the reservation (and then repeatedly during the class) that I was a vegetarian, yet they kept setting me up at stations with raw meat. I had to always speak up and point it out for them in order to get the meat exchanged with tofu. They also once put shrimp or fish paste of some sort into the curry paste saying I wouldn’t mind, right? (It was a partner-based curry making session, and my partner was not vegetarian.) Fortunately, my partner from the US spoke up and said he was totally fine adding it later (after I removed my portion) and understood my needs as a vegetarian. I appreciated his concern very much!

3. Prepare for Battle If Mosquitoes Love You – I was mistakenly under the impression that, since this was primarily an indoor activity, mosquitoes would not really pose much of an issue. Boy was I wrong! Most of the mosquito bites I received during our entire trip happened during this cooking class. It seemed like every course we ate, the mosquitoes had a course, as well. I left the day with around 6-8 new mosquito bites. So, if mosquitoes follow you around like an ex who just won’t get over you, be prepared with long sleeves, pants, and DEET.

Despite these drawbacks, the cooking class is very worthwhile. You’ll come away with a much better understanding of Thai cooking, as well as a digital recipe book to re-create the dishes at home.

Reviewed 13 January 2019

My 4 friends and I took a three day trip to Chiang Mai and knew we wanted to do a cooking class so I did heavy research on which one to choose (there are so many) and this one had wonderful reviews, and let me tell you, it exceeded our expectations. We did the 4 hour evening class and it was something we'll remember forever. Aoy, the teacher, is so lovely she took us to one of the local markets (where there aren't a lot of tourists) and told us all about the ingredients we'd be cooking with and then gave us time to browse a little on our own. When we got back we started cooking immediately. Aoy's instructions were so clear that literally anyone could do this and have it come out perfectly (I'm not great in the kitchen normally and mine were all delicious). We did 4 courses and they were all INCREDIBLE. You are so stuffed by the end (in a great way). Aoy was such a great teacher. We were all laughing the entire time.
I vote this as an absolute MUST DO if you're ever in Chiang Mai!

Reviewed 9 January 2019

We did a full day of cooking and it was a long day with lots and lots of food. Our group of about 10 people went to the market to learn about the vegetables and spices and buy ingredients needed for our meals. I loved that we had the choice between several meal options for each course, a stir fry, a soup, appetizer, curry and a dessert. This allowed us to learn multiple different recipes and try them all at our table. Our company was a great group and we enjoyed sharing meals and learning about where everyone is from. Tae was a great instructor! Very fun and easy to follow but he did challenge us, especially when making the curry paste! I would absolutely recommend taking the course, but make sure you show up hungry. We had to take home our last meal since we were so full, but everything was delicious and we got a detailed PDF cookbook emailed.

Reviewed 2 January 2019

My family of 4 experienced this wonderful cooking class. Our instructor, AOy, was patient and very thorough. She took us to a local market where she purchase fresh ingredients for our meals. We cooked some of my favorite Thai dishes! And of course the dishes were easy to prepare. Aoy also sent us a pdf cookbook via email and I cant wait to make the green curry I prepared again!

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank gia82274
Reviewed 2 January 2019 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend booked a full day thai cooking course in the morning hours and had just an amazing time.
The day started in a local market after two lovely girls picked us up from our hotel.
They explained the different ingredients we were about to use in our lesson with much detail and in good English.
We arrived at the cooking studio, it was really cosy,clean,nice looking and had a really nice vibe to it.
We made 5 different dishes and curry paste, with detailed explanations, tips and good vibe guidance. After every dish we ate what we cooked and just enjoyed every delicious bite of it.

All in all we had an amazing time, got all recipes over email and left the place with a smile and full belly.
Recomeded for all food lovers!