Open today: Closed

Book in advance
from
£22.78
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Galangal Cooking Studio
from £22.78
More Info
from £28.87
More Info
1,167 results
All reviews local market at home thai food recipe book great teacher private class spring rolls a lot of fun khao soi amazing experience visiting chiang mai dishes instructor thailand classes chef
Selected filters
Reviewed 12 March 2019 via mobile

My partner and I had a class with Opal who was brilliant throughout. We were the only ones there apart from a Chinese couple who had a different teacher.

Started the day with a tour of the market and to buy the ingredients for our dishes. We cooked loads and were absolutely stuffed by the end! If I went again I would definitely take more home.

Considering the amount of food we got and the undivided attention of the teacher it was excellent value. Can't recommend enough. We even got a cookbook emailed to us afterwards with all the recipes.

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 3 March 2019

I chose the afternoon cooking class which included 4 dishes. Went Solo but quickly made friends with the whole group, which made the experience even better. The local market tour was really nice, no other tourists in sight overtaking the area with cameras. Great opportunity to purchase some spices for home, or beer for the class. I bought chili paste!

The cooking studio was clean and setup for us each time we finished one dish. The food was nice but extremely filling by the time we got to the 4th. It's best to save room from the start and maybe not eat everything right away.

Our teacher was hilarious. She would let out a little yelp if we dropped a spoon or missed a step so that got the whole group laughing.

Overall a nice experience.. For me personally I didn't learn as much as I wanted to because everything was prepped other than minor chopping and we did not receive a hard copy of the recipes just a link to a color PDF file.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed 19 February 2019 via mobile

Wow what a fantastic day picked up as said on time taken to school met by wonderfull cooks filled out menu card and away we went off to market even thou I looked funny with shopping basket girls were very interesting and knowagable then back to school for making cooking pounding mixing and we get to eat whatever we cooked and share each other’s meals very nice and I don’t like spicy food but was great would reconmend to anyone

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed 16 January 2019 via mobile

I’m so happy I made the decision to come to this cooking class ! I was sitting outside with a friend from my hostel when Aoy (founder of the cooking class) came to pick my friend and her brother up for their class. My friend asked if I wanted to join and even though I hadn’t done any research on the class beforehand, I said yes and I’m so glad I did!

Aoy picked us up and paid for our Grab ride home. Even though I was a last minute add, Aoy was very accomodating & I was still able to choose the 4 dishes I wanted to cook. There were so many delicious options I was hard to decide! Our first stop was the local market where Aoy walked us through all of the ingredients we’d be using in our dishes. She was even nice enough to treat us to a pre meal of northern Thailand sausage. After the market we stopped to grab some beers that we were able to drink during cooking/with our meals.

The next stop was the cooking studio where we spent about 4 hours. After we’d cook each dish, we were able to eat the meal so that it was still warm :) Aoy was so sweet,helpful and knowledgeable - I also loved the jokes that she made throughout the whole day.

Pro tip: Bring bug spray because you may want to eat some meals outside on the patio but there will be a good amount of mosquitos.

Thank you Aoy!!!

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed 14 January 2019

Overall, we had a really nice time during our full-day cooking class with Galangal Cooking Studio! They had a good flow to the day, whereby we switched back and forth between the kitchen and dining area for each course of the meal. (The added benefit was that the unused room was always being cleaned and prepped while we were busy in the other room. Cooking without the cleaning—yes!)

Most of the food we made was delicious!! Loved the coconut soup, spring rolls, pad see ew, and mango sticky rice. The only dish that fell flat for me was the Massaman Curry (which is usually one of my favorite dishes). I will try to make it again at home with some modifications.

There are a few things you should be aware of:

1. Confirm Your Booking Multiple Times - We encountered a lot of issues with booking. The immediate booking response email we received was incorrect. We immediately brought this to the company’s attention, and they assured us it had been taken care of. The day of our workshop, we waited around at our hotel—and no one showed up. When our hotel called to inquire about our ride, Galangal said they didn’t have our booking in the system. Fortunately, they still had space in their workshop and sent a private car so we could join the group. So, if your ride doesn’t show up, call immediately after the time period provided so you still have a chance to attend the workshop.

2. Be Careful If You Have a Special Diet - If you have any sort of food allergies or special dietary requests, be very careful. I told Galangal in the reservation (and then repeatedly during the class) that I was a vegetarian, yet they kept setting me up at stations with raw meat. I had to always speak up and point it out for them in order to get the meat exchanged with tofu. They also once put shrimp or fish paste of some sort into the curry paste saying I wouldn’t mind, right? (It was a partner-based curry making session, and my partner was not vegetarian.) Fortunately, my partner from the US spoke up and said he was totally fine adding it later (after I removed my portion) and understood my needs as a vegetarian. I appreciated his concern very much!

3. Prepare for Battle If Mosquitoes Love You – I was mistakenly under the impression that, since this was primarily an indoor activity, mosquitoes would not really pose much of an issue. Boy was I wrong! Most of the mosquito bites I received during our entire trip happened during this cooking class. It seemed like every course we ate, the mosquitoes had a course, as well. I left the day with around 6-8 new mosquito bites. So, if mosquitoes follow you around like an ex who just won’t get over you, be prepared with long sleeves, pants, and DEET.

Despite these drawbacks, the cooking class is very worthwhile. You’ll come away with a much better understanding of Thai cooking, as well as a digital recipe book to re-create the dishes at home.

Date of experience: January 2019