“Funky hostal type accommodation - not completely as expected”

Hug Collection Hotel
Ranked #306 of 402 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Okay, I think it's important to start by saying this hotel changed its name in the last 12 months (very conveniently), it would seem as the previous reviews can be found here:-

These reviews are still very relevant in my opinion and if we'd have read these before we booked, we would have chosen a different hotel.

Let's be clear, it's not a hotel. It's a hostal, run by students and young travellers making a bit of pocket money. Lovely kids - but haven't got the foggiest about running a business. It's trying to be a funky boutique hotel but its been done on the cheap. Paint job in the rooms definitely been done by budding student artists and not professional painters.

The positives

Friendly staff

The negatives

Cost - we paid £77 per night in high season. Could have got better for less in hindsight.
Location - quite a walk from the main shopping, restaurant and drinking area to the south east of the city. It's also on a run down street
Shower - was only ever luke warm during our three night stay despite me raising this with reception and one of the kids trying to fix it.
Noisy - noise from the main road close by is very distracting to a quiet nights sleep

Again, if I had my time again I would probably choose the Princess Hotel in the centre of town, much better location. This place should clearly state it is a hostal and adjust prices accordingly.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pdaboy
Pou T, General Manager at Hug Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear PDABOY,,

First of all, we would like to express our sincere apologize for the inconvenience which occurred upon your check out. Your valuable feedback has been passed to all departments concerned to recheck, retrain and ensure the high standard of service in all areas.

Thank you very much for the rest of all your comments which we will take into our serious attention in order to improve our services and can be assured that it will cover with the most satisfaction of all guest arrival.

Best regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The staffs are friendly and helpful in getting to places of interest. Good location, within walking distance to landmarked restaurants and nightclubs of Chiangmai. Overall, a very nice stay here at the Hug Collection Hostel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Friendly staff with great service mind, safety and good security, great location, only 10 minutes from chiang mai airport, and also comfort hotel which surrounding with many restaurant and easy to find public transportation. we will miss you yellow bear->hug collection.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pumpim
Reviewed 16 June 2013

To start out, the rooms are wonderful. Very spacious, lovely bathrooms and pretty much everything you need. The frankly astounding rare of German and Belgian beer in the minibar was a pleasant surprise as well.The style is very distinctive. I'll be clear that I really enjoyed our stay here, and it's a great little hotel, but as they're aiming at the "boutique" end of the market and are just newly opened, there's a couple of little odd holes in their service that I thought I'd point out.

First, there's no safe in the rooms, which is a bit odd for the price bracket. Second, while a kettle is provided in the room... there's no tea or coffee to go with it, which makes it a bit redundant. Lastly, it could do with the basic guide to hotel services that most rooms come with, but which seemed to be missing. Oh, and there's a fair number of stairs and no lift. Not a problem for most travelers, but something to be aware of.

The last problem isn't one with the hotel, but more to do with how new it is. In the five days we were there, no-one knew where it was, and there are four streets in the area with the same name, so even if you have the address on a card, Tuk-Tuk and Songtaw's are still likely to drop you in to wrong place. This wasn't a problem once we knew where it was, as we could walk the last part, but on our first night It took us about an hour to find the place. The entrance isn't obvious (it's up a flight of stairs), so look for the large yellow bear statue and you're there.

Just to re-iterate, I enjoyed our stay there, I'm just pointing out the only problems I can find.

Oh, and be careful of the chinese breakfast option. Tasty, but very, very hot!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OSGranite
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Greeting by the big yellow bear in front of the hotel, it just gave me a big smile at my first step into Hug Collection Hotel. The location is just perfect, only 10 minutes from airport to the hip street of Chiang Mai. After a long exhausting week, me and my family took a vacation to Chiang Mai just for relaxing. At first, I told my husband to go to some place that looks traditional. But I was googling for something more exciting to me. That's how I found this hotel. The Staff was very welcoming and greeting us with smiles. We booked a 3 night stay in a room called mountain hug on the 4th floor. The room is spacy equipped with bathtub at the corner of the room, where we can open the wide window to see the view of Doi Suthep and also a separate shower room and toilet. The design of the hotel is just like to fashion studio with a mixed of vibrant colors on decorative items. The Bed and Sleeping Quality are great. At night, our family walked to Nimmanhaemin Street(which is very close to the hotel) where there are so many cool places to shop and dine with good quality of products and services. On the 2nd day of our trip, we went to many temples and joined a tour group in a package called ' The Origin of Chiang Mai" that brought us to many places to see the birth of this wonderful place. At night, me and my husband came down to the hotel lobby on the second floor for a night drink. There are selections of imported beer and wine and again the staff was very nice to give us tips on choices of drinks we wanted to have. The last day of the trip, we went to Mae Rim and the hotel staff just recommended us a car for rent at a very best price(only 500-600 Baht per day) with many tourist attractions along the Mae Rim area. On the day that we had to leave back to our normal lives in Bangkok, with 4 people in the gang, the general manager offered us a personal assistance to drive us to airport and helped with Checking-in process there. Just like I said in the beginning, the hotel is very trendy design and styles but it would mean nothing to us without those small favors that the hotel's staffs had done for us. Thank you.. we will surely see you again.

Room Tip: Each room has its own styles, so ask the manager which room will suit you well.