“Friendly English speaking host, nicely furnished room.”
Review of ThongRan's House

ThongRan's House
Ranked #13 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Friendly English speaking host, nicely furnished room.”
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

This is centrally located in old city, stone throw away from Sunday night market (3 mins).
Rooms are newly refurbished, spacious with comfortable beds.

House keeping everyday, all toiletries refilled daily, thick white towels, hair dryer, instant kettles, flat screen tv, fridge, and importantly hot instant water heater with good pressure!

I'd stay a couple of guesthouse in Northern Thailand and most water heater only provide slight warm water with low pressure.

The hosts, Jar and his wife is very friendly and patience. Explain to us where to eat and how to take transport from here to there...even the house keeper is so polite.

I'd stayed in superior twin room, room and bathroom are spacious. There are no windows in the room. It didn't bother me much as I only stay for 3 nights.

Only wish is if they can provide extra set of pillows. Besides that everything is perfect!

Highly recommended.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dor66

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My family and I (of six) had three rooms at thongrans house and were blown away by their hospitality and kindness. They arranged everything we needed, always said hello, brought us anything we needed and on Christmas Day they gave each of us little gifts on our bed. The rooms were great as well- great decorations, large rooms, clean and very new. I was actually surprised at how nice the rooms were. The location is also great- I can't think of a single complaint about the entire facility or staff. The chef is also very kind and a great cook for breakfast! I hope I can return to Chiang Mai and without a doubt I will be back to Thongran's house. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Krhodes22
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Trip advisor
Our stay at ThongRans was great! The owner is so nice and helpful. She was able to book us things last minute at a good price even when everyone else said they were full. Everyone there was so friendly and did everything we could have asked for. The rooms were nicely decorated and always clean. They even folded clothes we had thrown on the floor. The location is great too. Close enough to everything to walk to but just outside the noise and bustle of Main Street. They even gave us all little keychains when we arrived as well as free bottles of water everyday. There is also a nice lady next door who will make breakfast whenever you need it. It was super nice to walk over and get some food early in the morning before going to a tour. She had food ready for us at 6:00 twice. The locations is great and the people treat you like family. To top it all off on Christmas, we came back to our room to little cookies and Christmas towels with a hand written card wishing us a Merry Christmas. If that is not a sign the owners truly care about everything they do and the guests that check in then I don't know what does. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Krhodes3
Lhasa, China
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I am from Tibet, stay in ThongRan's House was one of the high light of my trip in Chiang Mai, Hotel is very clean and comfortable with reasonable price, it located in the old town of the city, all the sites is just minutes away from hotel. The owner is very kind always smile, and very helpful, good English skill, and she can send you to the airport with her nice SUV. the owner's little girl is so cute. anyway very good experience of stay in ThongRan's House, and strongly recommend you to stay in this hotel, you would not regret.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jigmila J
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Spent 2 nights in Room 205. It was one of the best guesthouse we have had. Room 205 was special... it came with a comfortable bed, very spacious room and in a very well kept condition. Neat! Room 205 was located on the 2nd level at the end of the corridor. Therefore you could get more privacy and quietness. Booking was done Agoda.com but understood that one could also book via the guesthouse website with better rate. The owners, Mrs Kibb and Mr Jep were great and ever so nice to provide you the necessary assistance. We got their help to book an over night trekking tour. That was excellent too!

Free wifi was available and the connection was easy and fast download speed. A small fridge was available in the room. Free drinking water and a kettle are provided in the room. If you are too lazy to get out of the guesthouse for breakfast.. you can have simple American breakfast or Thai food @ 100 baht per person at the courtyard. This was yet another homely experience you can enjoy there.

Within the guesthouse, there is a Tattoo shop to service interested guests. As we did not use the service, we have no review here.

The location of the guesthouse is good - about 10 minutes walk to Sunday Walking Street Night Market and also a short distance to Heuan Phen Restaurant as mentioned in Lonely Plant Guide.

We had only a minor negative point. As the guesthouse is relatively new,(open in April 2013) - tuk-tuk driver may take a while locate it. (Printing the map from its website in advance may be helpful.)

We would recommend it to couples and family with older children. Will come back Thongran if ever we are in Chiangmai again. Excellent !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JerryThirteen
Boston
Reviewed 21 November 2013

It was a very good stay, this family-owned guesthouse gave me a unforgettable experience. The female owner (who communicated with me via email about my reservation earlier) was so nice and helpful. I go bother her with a million questions everyday: booking for taxi, massage, ask for directions, laundry ... But she answered everything with a smile and that's why I was never afraid to get lost in the old city because I have all the directions she gave me. The breakfast over there was very good too, and it changes everyday. During the lantern festival the owners invited us to fly lanterns at night with other guests and their family, it was a very pretty night, I will never forget the sky of that night at Chiang Mai. Lastly I want to say I had so much fun with the owner's cute daughter, she was always smiling just like her mom, I loved playing with her so much. Thank you so much for all the help this family gave me especially from the pretty female owner, I will definitely return there if I go to Chiang Mai again, but next time I'll book early to get the room on second floor since I liked it better.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BostonBunny89
Reviewed 24 October 2013

when booking, i'm ready for compromise as it's only 600 B. actually it offers free pickup, and the room is much better than i have excepted. well decorated, clean, comfortable. far beyond its price.
the house is operated by a family, the couple is really nice and amicable. the location is good and quite, near wat chediluang, and restaurant huen phen, easy to go anywhere by songthew. it's a warm place which i'll stay for a second time if travelling to chiangmai again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends