Tamarind Village
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
US$155
US$134
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$125
US$100
US$235
US$151
Hotels.com
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$148
US$98
US$86
US$66
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
US$295
US$228
Anantara.com
US$137
US$108
Agoda.com
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$31
US$446
US$307
US$463
US$416
1,725 results
All reviewslanna roomvillage walkold townan oasistemple tourour honeymoonsunday marketbeautiful hoteldogs barkingboutique hotelbusy citylanna stylemosquito netfresh fruitegg stationlovely poolwelcome drink
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The rooms were small.... we could only have 1 suitcase open at a time. I asked for a quiet room overlooking the beautiful 100 year old Tamarind tree..... Our room was opposite the reception and rather noisy and far from private. I'm sure however, there were other rooms around the resort that were better. If you want a view of the tree then expect a little noise.

The first night we hardly got any sleep as there was a loud ongoing thumping noise (we think from the room downstairs). The following few days there were noisy drills and tools from workers repairing an air conditioning unit in the room next door and lawn mowers going so for us this place was far from relaxing. Disappointing really considering it was our honeymoon.

It appeared the staff were not very informed about some things. We asked one girl about massage other than the resort and she was very vague. Also, we asked a female staff member about seeing the long neck women and which was the best tribe to visit for silver tribal jewellery. We were told The Karen Tribe. So we hired a scooter and rode approximately 20kms out of town to find the minimal jewellery was cheap and awful.

The coffee at breakfast was so bitter you could hardly drink it.

On a good note, the staff were very polite and the pool looked nice, even though we didn't use it. The location was great too!

Room Tip: Not overlooking the courtyard if you want privacy and ask for a larger room than standard.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie S
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in late February/early March 2013 and had a wonderful time. As soon as you enter the Tamarind Village, you feel as though you've escaped the city and arrived in a tranquil oasis. The village is beautiful and the rooms are spacious and clean. We loved the pool area and the breakfast buffet was great. We didn't dine at the restaurant for other meals as we found some fantastic, cheaper restaurants (as well as street food) outside the resort. The location is great- there are a number of temples to visit within walking distance. One night we took a short tuk tuk ride to the night bazaar. Definitely try to stay here over a weekend so that you can go to the Sunday Night Market- it is literally right outside of the hotel and it is amazing. We didn't take advantage of the spa, as there were a number of other cheaper options right down the street. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating- sometimes there was a slight language barrier, but that was understandable. The only issue we had was on our first night there was a dog barking quite loudly outside our room. The staff moved us to another room on the other side of the resort the next day. Overall we really enjoyed staying here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I can't praise this gorgeous little gem of a hotel enough!! By far the most lovely place I have ever stayed. I was looking forward to staying there before I arrived based on previous reviews and photos and Tamarind Village managed to surpass even my expectations. Wonderful, friendly and polite staff, beautiful grounds and rustic-luxury decor in the rooms, convenient location and the most delicious breakfast selection I've ever had at a hotel. The sticky rice is a must-have and the sausages and bacon were delicious, as was the muesli. There was a really wide and delicious choice of juices and teas as well. The toiletries provided (jasmine body wash and lotion and ginger shampoo and conditioner) were of a good quality and smelled really nice, and I am fussy about my products! The shower was the most incredibly powerful shower I have experienced. Another nice touch that I really appreciated was the plentiful and free local fruit in our room every day, as they included rose apples, my absolute favourite :-). We were also given a voucher for a 10-minute welcome massage on arrival which was much appreciated - the decor of the spa was beautiful as well. The service was really excellent, e.g. staff spontaneously offering you insect repellent while having a drink by the pool in the evenings - I even really liked the bug spray they had as it was made from natural oils and seemed to work better than our toxic chemical deet. The staff also set out and lit candles all over the hotel every night which looks just stunning. They also do daily activities in the courtyard - I did the jamine flower garland making one afternoon and really enjoyed it. It's also worth mentioning that wifi is free across the hotel.

The hotel was only a short drive from the airport and right across the road is a little complex with a cafe, restaurants, a massage and beauty parlour etc. The hotel is also a good walking distance from a lot of attractions - we were lucky enough to be there on a Sunday when the walking street market takes place right on the door step, which is great fun to explore, and we had the cheapest most delicious food that night at the market. A tip I have is to visit Mundo Tours just round the corner from the hotel to help organise any tours or exursions you want. They also offer a killer sports massage! Kid our tour guide, together with our lovely hotel, both absolutely made our trip to Chiang Mai

Everything at Tamarind Village was perfect and I can't begin to understand the small handful of people who had anything but positive comments to make on this hotel - if you are visiting Chiang Mai this is a no-brainer. Stay there! You will not be disappointed.

I did notice another reviewer mention that they were unhappy with the help they were given with their airline online check in at reception - it could be that these comments have already been taken on board as when we asked for help with our online check in and they were very helpful and did it for us on their own computers.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erika M
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed here in December 2012 on our first trip to Thailand, after a couple days in Bangkok. This is a lovely hotel in a great location. Walking distance to everything. The hotel is walled off and feels like you are escaping from the city around you, even though you are only a few steps away. The rooms are small and the swinging doors into the bathroom don't provide much in the way of privacy. The pool area is beautiful.

The breakfast buffet was lovely, served in the restaurant poolside. It offered a nice variety of choices and the staff was very accomodating and helpful.

We love to walk, so this was a perfect location. There were lots of massage options and restaurants nearby. It was a bit of a walk to the night market, but well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2013

On the very positive side this is a very well situated and tranquil hotel supported by charming young staff and an extremely comprehensive breakfast buffet catering for all tastes. Sadly, I feel the young front of house staff are, it seems to me, lacking support from any obvious senior presence if difficulties arise.

I asked if the front desk could do my airline check-in for me and I was requested to do it myself on a laptop at the side. The laptop was not connected to the printer and the airline concerned did not email our boarding cards to the hotel address. It was suggested that I go to an Internet cafe to sort it out. After being firm and a lot of staff running around they managed to print my boarding cards. This is perhaps a stupid point but never before in any hotel have I been told to sort this sort of thing myself and been provided with inadequate tools.

We undertook a couple of their excursions which are not cheap by anyone's standards yet ours were poorly organised and there was a misunderstanding of the time needed to do the tours, both over and under estimates. This was compounded by our delightful conscientious driver not really understanding what was required and having only very limited English. I recommend a better avenue, and cheaper, would be to hire a taxi and driver for the day because it seems that most of them and the Tut-Tut drivers know more.

If you can, avoid rooms by the reception area because it is very noisy and our room, on the ground floor, offered us the bonus of entertainment from everyone elses's plumbing above! In my view there is a difference between rustic and tired. Our room was particularly shabby and would benefit from painting if not complete overhaul (mould on the curtains!) and that was my impression really of the whole. I think that Tamarind could and should do better without vaste expense to provide better value for money.

Sorry, bit of a dismal revue but I repeat the good which is location, tranquility, lovely staff and great breakfast.

Room Tip: Avoid close to reception.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple