“the heart of the chiang mai city Unforgettable”
Review of Suriwongse Hotel

Suriwongse Hotel
Ranked #43 of 380 Hotels in Chiang Mai
American Canyon, California
“the heart of the chiang mai city Unforgettable”
Reviewed 20 January 2011

this hotel will be rebrand to moevenpick . Exterior still the same but new wing is very beautiful room the rooms all comfort and not too expensive. But parking is quite small.Hotel next to the night market shopping center.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank missy_nancy2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Hotel rooms reek of stale smell, the toilet flush not effective at all, you got to flush it several times. All sorts of noise I guess must be pump working as it appears everytime you uses the tap. The carpet is terribly stained and they don't even provide house slippers! The room that we were given had a curtain that somewhat didn't reaches the floor and you get the glare from the outside which is a busy street. We ask for a double and guess what a double means two single bed pushed together! I now moved to the cafe. The seats are all badly stained. Breakfast is passable. The choice is not too bad just that they are either lukewarm or cold saved for the hot soya milk which is good. The reception service is alright. Overall I strongly advise to stay clear of this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank JinCher
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Upon arrival, reception was welcoming until we enquired if an upgrade was possible. We were upgraded, however, in the OLD wing. We stayed in the "suite" which was in poor condition. It was on the topmost floor, we had to take the stairs since the elevator didint go all the way to the top. The bathroom lighting was very dim, the TV remote was broken, We stayed for 3 hours until we saw a lizard. We contacted reception and requested for the room we reserved originally. The receptionist said there were no rooms available, we kept asking until we were shown to the new wing.

We were aware of the new wing but thought since we were upgraded in the old wing that maybe the new wing was still under renovation. What we didint realize is that we had reserved a room in the new orchid wing. We were given a room with two seperate beds. The new room was modern and clean unlike the old one.

Reception should inform guests that the pool is under construction. Also, we were provided with 2 complimentary bottles of water on the 1st night,we consumed 1, The next day, we were provided with just 1, and the third with none since we threw the empty bottles in the trashbin. Strange.....we just purchased our own water.

The bathroom sinks,floors and doors were not clean and some appliances did not work
(in both rooms). Noticed,red ants in the new room too. Airconditioning in the nights would not work properly for some reason.

Importantly, the breakfast buffet and service was just terrible for 3 days in a row. On two days, we went to breakfast (not too early or too late) and there was no food (no eggs,no bacon/sausages) only the rice meals,soups and breads were available. On both days, there was a family crowd of around 30, i think the hotel should obviously be aware and ensure they adequately cater to the guests. We had to wait for quiet some for someone to come to the station to prepare some eggs.

Positives: great location, fast internet, excellent tour agent (Chiangmai Empress Travel Service, fantastic!)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I was a little hesitant to book the hotel at first, after reading the reviews here. However, I rang up the hotel to enquire about the rooms and renovation and was told that most of the rooms have moved to the new wing. I travelled with my parents so I decided to book the Premier Room. It was clean and spacious. The bathroom was huge. There's also a big closet with a simple dressing table inside. The extra bed turned out to be the sofa but it was big enough to fit me. I'm 5 foot 6 inches. The housekeeping came in to "prepare" the sofa with bedsheet, blanket and pillow. Overall, it was a very comfortable room for 3 adults.

The breakfast spread was ok. The staff was nice to provide me with a container to pack some breakfast as one of my tours left at 7am. All the staff were friendly and courteous. Location is great as it's quite quiet during the day. It's next to the night bazaar and near Anusarn market (lots of restaurants). Less than 10 minutes walk to Warorot market and between 15-20 minutes walk to the old city. The IT mall is just round the corner. If you miss fast food, there are McD's, Burger King, Subway, Starbucks.

There were only 2 things I was not happy about the hotel. First - the bathroom door squeaked. We complained but the hotel didn't do anything about it. We stayed there for 4 nights so it was annoying. Second - the hotel should impose a stricter control on the safety box located near the reception. A guess holds a key while the hotel holds another key. Both are required to open the box. As long as you can provide the key and inform them of your room number, the box is opened for you. I think the hotel should see more verifications.

Overall, I am satisfied with this hotel. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank winnieleong
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Came to Chiang Mai from Bangkok, front desk took about 20mins checking us in, and couldn't get our names the right way round. We stayed in rooms 555 and 552.

The carpets were stained, I asked for a non smoking room and got a room which reeked of cigarettes. Elevators seemed to break every day, I did expect free wifi from a 3/4* hotel but had to pay 500baht for 5 hours.

Maid service was good, however were quite stingy with toilet paper ect..

On the plus side the tour operators were excellent, room size was incredible, location was excellent and price was adequate (via hotels.com)

It would seem that this hotel could be fantastic once the renovations are finished, but the staff do need to buck their attitudes up!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Malaysia
Reviewed 17 April 2010

Pefect location - the night market is just within the door step of the hotel. Hotel room is big and spacious but the furniture and bedsheets are rather old. It's time to refurbish the rooms. The hotel also provide free shuttle to Central Airport Plaza (one of the shopping malls). Overall stay is satisfactory.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Traveller11Malaysia
Toronto
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We spent one week at the Suriwongse hotel in January. We stayed there several times previously, the last time being four years ago. I thought then the hotel was starting to look shabby but without checking further, assumed there had been renovatiions. WAS I WRONG. The upholstered furniture that bothered us the most were the dining room chairs - literally covered with stains. It was so bad that although the breakfast buffet was varied and very good, we ate very little thinking of the condition of the kitchen.

The elevators were scratched and the elevator floors were filthy. The whole hotel had a general look of decrepitude.

On the positive side, the location is excellent and our room was very large.

The safety deposit boxes were also of big concern to us. The boxes are located in the reception area with no private viewing area available. When we signed up for a box, personal informatiion was taken together with a signature and a key was given. When I went back the next day and handed my box key to the clerk, she did not ask for ID nor did she take the signature card out of the file. She opened the box with my key and just handed the box to me. A short while later, I complained to the reception supervisor about this telling her that if I lost my key, anyone could pick it up and take the contents out of my box since the signature card was not checked. The supervisor pretended to be surprised and told me that all her staff had been advised to have guests sign in before the box is given out. I went back on three other occasions and I was never asked to sign in. On the last day prior to checkout, I handed my key to the clerk and was given the box which I proceeded to empty and again no signature was asked for. In all my travels, I have never heard of a situation like this. It is obvious the staff could care less and have been very poorly trained.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple