Star Hotel Chiang Mai
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
US$181
US$149
LeMeridien.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$124
US$107
U Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
US$160
  • Breakfast included
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$38
US$28
US$439
US$310
US$383
US$364
Agoda.com
All reviewsnight bazaarduangtawan hoteltravel desknice hotelplace to stayhotel is locateddeluxe roompleasant stayconvenient locationchiangrenovationlaneconveniencelaundry
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Our stay was summed up when we learned that the ubiquitous complimentary sachets of Nescafe actually cost 50 baht. Add that to 300 baht for 24 hours Wifi use, ant infestation in my room and carpets that had been stained by a dozen years hard labour and you can see how this 'cheap' stay is hard on your wallet. Have lived and travelled in Southeast Asia for ten years and honestly this is the worst hotel (except flee pits in the middle of nowhere) I've stayed in. Absolutely disgusted by it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BibbyPhnomPenh
Starhotel_CM, Manager at Star Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Thank you for your remarks. We take all comments seriously, especially negative ones, as it helps us to get better. We sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectation. Our policy is in line with similar properties in a 3-star range. We offer what we can, however, in your case it appears that we failed to meet your expectations and for that I am truly sorry. As you know, we are renovating the hotel and the renovation will be completed by November 2012. After renovation, I would like to re-invite you to stay with us in a newly renovated room , please feel free to contact us directly at www.starhotelchiangmai.com. Please accept my apology and really looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

When i was sitting outside in the steps of my hotel in Bangkok, the local taxi chaps said : get out of Bangkok, ther's nothing here.

Yes indeed, the cosmopolitan megacity had just malls n shops n crowded tourist spots like few temples and palace etc. To get some fresh air and to see real Thailand one has to move north to Isaan.

So after i was done with half day city and temple tour with stopover at souvenior n gems/ jewellery shop, walked into a travel agency for a Chiangmai - Sukhothai - Ayutthaya trip. A 5 nights trip with bus transit was bought.

So early next morning to my surprise a pajero came over to drop me to the bus stand. I was the lone passenger as it made its way out of the early hours Bangkok traffic to Northern bus terminus. Here all the seats got filled and i got a ticket against my baggege. Being from India, i found the highways to be 100 times better and the traffic well behaved. All throughout we did not pass through any crowded places as all small towns were by passed, saving time.

Most petrol pumps were having a cafeteria of sort on way with wide parking bay. But as we proceeded further north it was more countryside less concreate. At some point along the route, the bus stopped for a pre paid lunch break. The young hostess girl told me about the free meal and later waved at me when i was still standing outside and the bus ready to leave. It was a simple rice vegetables and chicken meal but very tasty and filling.

As the last leg of our journey began, they put on a Thai comedy and i enjoyed it a lot despite the language. After a while the body gave up and i woke up only when the bus stopped at Chiangmai stand.

Here a jolly fellow Ken was waiting for me with a mini van and took me straight to Star hotel, my bed and breakfast for the next three nights. It was raining heavyily that night so after freshning up i had dinner at the hotel restaurent downstairs. I was dissapointed with the alloted room but for the night stayed with a room with no view. The rooms were not much and looked dated and smelt damp. But as i only came just to sleep at night it was ok but got myself shifted to another with a view of the neighbourhood.

The restaurent food was however exceptionally good both dinner and breakfast. I mostly has chow and gravvy rice with chicken plus juice and fruits.

The whole day here was spent sightseeing, but in the early morning and late evening i did walk around the neighbourhood and loved the peaceful place. One morning visited a locality shrine and talked to some lovely elderly ladies who were happy to meet a pi nong from Assam.

Did visit the Lao border at golden triangle point and Shanland border at Mae Sai and ofcourse Doi Suthep and highest point etc.

Travelling along a new group of people was fun and enjoyed the speed boat ride on the Mekong to walk on Laotian land.

And once the day was over and a bit of rest taken, roaming around aimlessly in night market became the routine. Did buy a few knick knacks here though, so the other group members used to say big buyer.

Towards the end even though i wanted to extend my stay second time, rooms were not available and they weren't able to postpone onward stay dates at Sukhothai and Ayutthaya, so with a heavy heart i bid farewell to the Northern city.

But not before having a look at elephant football and painting. Here i met an elderly south Indian lady and chatted. Its always nice to meet a countymen abroad.

Anyways given the option, i would not mind staying at this property once more as long as they have refurbished the interiors and furnishings, specially the hard bed. But my full marks to the restaurent staff and reception guys for their hospitality.

And special thanks to Ken for being such a sport.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank PeOngLe
Reviewed 15 May 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We only stayed one night in Chiang Mai, but we really enjoyed our stay at this place. The room was large, clean, and comfortable, and a great value. The hotel is close to the night market and the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I would stay here again.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NanPan
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Nice rooms, clean and confortable. Bathroom ok, also clean.
Don´t have safe in the room.
Good location near enough the market but without the noise of it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple