“Only location is good”

Star Hotel Chiang Mai
Ranked #129 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Pros
- location
- air con is cold but doesn't really matter during cool season in chiang mai

Cons
- cold and lousy breakfast. Staff don't even bother to add a few more warmer. Probably one of the worst hotel breakfast I had. Skipped 4 out of the 6 breakfast despite its free
- room is old with holes that are not seal where insects and bugs can get into the room
- housekeeping us poor. Don't even bother to replace bath robe when it was dropped on the floor
- totally no sound proof in the room, can even hear ppl walking along corridor

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank RaymondChong6677
Chatnapatr, เจ้าของธุรกิจ at Star Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Khun Raymonchong

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We would like to apologize and sorry that some services did not meet your expectations. We have shared feedback to all staffs to improve our hotel standard quality.

We look forward to welcoming you back again so we can provide you with a better service.

Thank again for your reviews, it's a way for us to be better.

There are newer reviews for Star Hotel Chiang Mai

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Just checked into this flea pit today , cost me 23,000 baht for 4 nights , I have been ripped off.
This is a disgusting place and i warn everyone stay away unless you get it for hostel rate like $20/ Euro a night or something like that, I have paid over Euro 100 a night (I know its Xmas / New year).

I am taking photos now and am posting here on trip advisor

I am scratching like crazy so I think the place is crawling with something. I pulled back the bed sheet as I do in every place I stay and a spider is walking across the sheet. I hate killing poor spiders but I had to.

I removed the sheet to look at mattress and I am shocked, not sure I can sleep on it . stains all over it and a mattress protector also multiple stains and both look 20+ years old. I feel like I have just checked into a prison cell not a hotel.

As I was browsing the internet i spotted ants coming down the wall , maybe thats what has me scratching.

The room is tiny and very dirty, I am afraid to take my shoes off as the carpet is dirty and grimy. The shower room is tiny, dirty and has a mould incrusted shower, no bath.

Room in general is old , worn out fitting , doors , handles filthy , never cleaned I suspect . Work bench where I am sitting is old stained , filthy . walls dirty and badly marked.

Place has cobwebs hanging from the lights.

and I have never seen a hotel charge for the coffee / tea in any hotel I have stayed around the world , they do here , BAHT 50. The bell boy pointed that out to me.

I dread sleeping here.

Room Tip: This is a horrible dump , avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kobthailan

Dear Khun Kobthailan

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We would like to apologize for the bad everything experience and sorry that our hotel have failed to meet your expectations in certain points.

However, we have addressed your negative comments with our housekeeping manager. We have been improving and follow continuously performance big cleaning in all rooms

We really hope to welcome you again so we can provide you with continually improving services and facilities to better.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This place advertises at 90 dollars a night and they say the are discounting. This place is gross. Unclean and not like what you would expect at all. If you are going to Thailand for sexual encounters and the like then you might want to stay here. Other than that stay away!!! this place is dingy and disgusting. I would never stay there again. There are much better hotels at much better prices. Thai tourists may think this is ok but if you are use to a western idea of clean then stay away.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank enacita
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel as we wanted to be near the city centre.
The location is excellant-5 minutes walk to the night bazaar but in a reasonably quiet area. Breakfast was plentiful with a choice of Western and Asian foods. The only cereal to be had, was cornflakes. Bread was white and jam was synthetic.
Bed was comfortable. We had free internet but some guests did not. When we booked we were told the internet was free but on check-in, were told we'd have to pay for it. The guy on duty in the evening told us it was free and gave us a code (seems to be some confusion at reception). We recieved 2 complimentary bottles of water a day. Air-conditioner worked well. A small mini-bar was provided with drinks at a cost. There was a kettle but tea and coffee was NOT complimentary.
Rooms (deluxe) are small and claustrophobic with tiny shower and toilet room. There was mildew all over the shower, and the floor needed a scrub, The sheets were oil-stained. View was onto a wall of the next building, and the window did not open. their were only 2 available English channels on the little box TV but the quality was too bad to watch them. There was only one bedside table and lamp, and the room was dark so it was impossible to read at night. Carpets are stained and walls could do with a good coat of paint.
The reception staff are unfriendly and impersonal.
We only paid 1500 baht a night for this room, but for a similar rate we could have done better. We were happy to leave.
Only choose this place, if you want to be in the Night Bazaar and don't really care about much else.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidayer011
Reviewed 10 October 2013

When I first arrived at this hotel, it was raining a little. The limo driver took us to some small alley and upon seeing the frontage of the hotel, I was a little disappointed. Then, we went through the check-in process and it was done smoothly. From there on, my perception about this hotel changed 180 degrees. The receptions were friendly. The room was lovely and most importantly, super clean. After the rain had stopped, my party of five plus a baby took the chance to walk around the areas surrounding Star Hotel and only to find out that we were actually located in the center of Chiang Mai city. Excellent!

The downside with Star Hotel (to my personal opinion) was;

1. Not many people in Chiang Mai speak good English and the friendly staff in Star Hotel was no exception. Conversing with them was like chicken and duck trying to make sense with one another.
2. Another downside was the bed. It was hard and I woke up with back ache every morning. Lucky that Chiang Mai offers many massage places and they're super cheap too.
3. Our room window was facing an abandoned half way constructed building. Such an unpleasant view.
4. There is a restaurant in Star Hotel Chiang Mai but we didn't try the food there because it wasn't halal.

Room Tip: Ask for any room that isn't facing an abandoned half way constructed building. If any.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aj_tuah
Chatnapatr, ผู้จัดการ at Star Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Khun Aj_tuah

Thank you for spending time to review us.

We are pleased you liked our hotel location with our staff all very helpful. I will shared feedback to all staffs.

We would like to apologize for bad everything experience. I will improve to better and show you again.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

The location is what got me to stay at this hotel. It is always fun when going to the night market to be able to come back to your room to drop your purchases or your camera or go to the toilet.

The staff was somewhat helpful but they were not finding my booking but the women at the desk of the tour information was very nice.

The tv in my room was a flat screen lcd tv but the cable signal is so low that you don't get much use out of it. The water pressure is good and my bathroom was clean. The sheets and towels seemed clean too. The carpet looks to have seen better days and the fact that they are giving throw away slippers is somewhat an indication about his cleanliness. The bed and pillows are very comfortable.

My room had absolutely no view. other than a building that seems to be in construction although not much happened in it while I was there.

All in all, I would go back for the location and the price. Internet is not free and is not fast either. Don't expect streaming something or downloading much but for taking your e-mails it's ok. Good hotel, not great. I would give this a 3.5 but it's impossible and the fact that they didn't want me to pay with my credit card and that they didn't have my reservation at check-in, I'll go with 3.

Room Tip: There seems to be rooms with great views. You might want to ask for those.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Chatnapatr, เจ้าของธุรกิจ at Star Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Khun Doumdoum1976

Thank you for spending time to review us.

We are pleased you liked our hotel location and our staff very helpful. I will shared feedback to all staff.

We would like to apologize for bad everything experience. I will keep feedback and shared to responsible departments for improve to better.

We are looking forward to welcome you to Star Hotel Chiang Mai again.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel is located just beside the night bazaar and about 10 minutes from the old town. Like everywhere in Thailand the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Few was of a wall of neighbouring hotel. This didn't bother me but some people may want to request better view.
Check in was quick and easy. Room was spacious and comfortable. Everything was clean and tidy.
Wasn't overly impressed with the breakfast and only had it on the first morning. Plenty of places close by to eat
Small bar in the porch was nice for a few drinks before going out to dinner. Cocktails were 2 for 1 during happy hour and were great value.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Khun BusterIreland

Thank you so much for spending time to review us on tripadvisor.

We are pleased you liked our hotel location, our staff all very helpful and all everything in our hotel.

I will shared feedback to the all staff and look forward to welcoming you back to our Star Hotel Chiang Mai soon.