“Good location,but be aware” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Star Hotel Chiang Mai

Star Hotel Chiang Mai
Ranked #120 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Perth, Australia
“Good location,but be aware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

Read if you are a westerner

We stayed 5 nights in Star Hotel in Chiang Mai. It is located in a great location (although in a side alley) in walking distance to the Night Bazaars and Tha Pae Gate. This is affirmed with hotel chains such as Le Meridian and Centara nearby.

However, you need to be aware about the hotel:
> Its cleanliness: there is mould covering the bathroom walls (wear slippers in the shower), the carpets are dirty and stained, there were ants crawling in the room, my husband left with patches of red skin rashes similar to that of bed bugs
>Staff are pleasant but only speak basic English: you will have difficulty confirming with the terms/details of your stay.
>Don't get carried away by hotel booking websites or their website offering '50% off flash sales' if you book now. I changed from a nicer hotel for something special luxurious and boutique only to pay a lot more for the discounted rate a night (which was excessively overpriced compared to other hotels) and the actual rooms did not look anything like the pictures portrayed on their website.
> There is no safe in the room
> The door has a gap between floor: we had a lot of sleepless nights up until 3am as you can hear other guests personal conversations and their children from their rooms
> When showering be careful with your valuable jewellery: the wall has a hole in a corner with the grate on the floor. Once something small has flowed in the hole you cannot retrieve it.

If you have read this review after booking and are locked into a non-refundable clause like we were (and only read trip advisor reviews after booking):
> attempt to contact the hotel directly to confirm details that are per your inclusions eg wifi, parking that you value (they state the will respond within 24 hours but do not).
> We never got a response from the hotel directly after waiting a week, we took this to the hotel booking website we used. Get them to confirm the details in an email, print and bring it along as evidence.
> consider booking another hotel if you can afford forfeiting this cost.

It depends on what is important to you in accommodation, we would not stay here again.

4 Thank defrostedcc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Seems like a reasonable place to stay if it fits your budget and you can't afford better rated places for same/more price. Location was only a few blocks away from Le Meridien (much more expensive). Hotel seemed safe. Staff all spoke english. Guest rooms were OK. Weak spots are non-remodeled, small bathrooms that could be 20 years old without being well maintained, and a really poor breakfast option that you should just skip. Hotel staff will not get you tuk-tuk and you will likely need to walk 2 blocks to hail one.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Chatnapatr, เจ้าของธุรกิจ at Star Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Khun Tobywonder

Thank you for spending time to review us.

As you can see our hotel maintains the rate of 3 star hotel to be competitive with other surrounding hotels. Our hotel is a limited services hotel, but we do take guests comments as a way to improve ourselves to a higher standard.

We hope to welcome you back Star Hotel Chiang Mai in near future.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Pros
- location
- air con is cold but doesn't really matter during cool season in chiang mai

Cons
- cold and lousy breakfast. Staff don't even bother to add a few more warmer. Probably one of the worst hotel breakfast I had. Skipped 4 out of the 6 breakfast despite its free
- room is old with holes that are not seal where insects and bugs can get into the room
- housekeeping us poor. Don't even bother to replace bath robe when it was dropped on the floor
- totally no sound proof in the room, can even hear ppl walking along corridor

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RaymondChong6677
Dear Khun Raymonchong

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We would like to apologize and sorry that some services did not meet your expectations. We have shared feedback to all staffs to improve our hotel standard quality.

We look forward to welcoming you back again so we can provide you with a better service.

Thank again for your reviews, it's a way for us to be better.

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Pattaya, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Just checked into this flea pit today , cost me 23,000 baht for 4 nights , I have been ripped off.
This is a disgusting place and i warn everyone stay away unless you get it for hostel rate like $20/ Euro a night or something like that, I have paid over Euro 100 a night (I know its Xmas / New year).

I am taking photos now and am posting here on trip advisor

I am scratching like crazy so I think the place is crawling with something. I pulled back the bed sheet as I do in every place I stay and a spider is walking across the sheet. I hate killing poor spiders but I had to.

I removed the sheet to look at mattress and I am shocked, not sure I can sleep on it . stains all over it and a mattress protector also multiple stains and both look 20+ years old. I feel like I have just checked into a prison cell not a hotel.

As I was browsing the internet i spotted ants coming down the wall , maybe thats what has me scratching.

The room is tiny and very dirty, I am afraid to take my shoes off as the carpet is dirty and grimy. The shower room is tiny, dirty and has a mould incrusted shower, no bath.

Room in general is old , worn out fitting , doors , handles filthy , never cleaned I suspect . Work bench where I am sitting is old stained , filthy . walls dirty and badly marked.

Place has cobwebs hanging from the lights.

and I have never seen a hotel charge for the coffee / tea in any hotel I have stayed around the world , they do here , BAHT 50. The bell boy pointed that out to me.

I dread sleeping here.

Room Tip: This is a horrible dump , avoid at all costs
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kobthailan
Dear Khun Kobthailan

Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

We would like to apologize for the bad everything experience and sorry that our hotel have failed to meet your expectations in certain points.

However, we have addressed your negative comments with our housekeeping manager. We have been improving and follow continuously performance big cleaning in all rooms

We really hope to welcome you again so we can provide you with continually improving services and facilities to better.

Mukdahan, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This place advertises at 90 dollars a night and they say the are discounting. This place is gross. Unclean and not like what you would expect at all. If you are going to Thailand for sexual encounters and the like then you might want to stay here. Other than that stay away!!! this place is dingy and disgusting. I would never stay there again. There are much better hotels at much better prices. Thai tourists may think this is ok but if you are use to a western idea of clean then stay away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank enacita
Beersheba, Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel as we wanted to be near the city centre.
The location is excellant-5 minutes walk to the night bazaar but in a reasonably quiet area. Breakfast was plentiful with a choice of Western and Asian foods. The only cereal to be had, was cornflakes. Bread was white and jam was synthetic.
Bed was comfortable. We had free internet but some guests did not. When we booked we were told the internet was free but on check-in, were told we'd have to pay for it. The guy on duty in the evening told us it was free and gave us a code (seems to be some confusion at reception). We recieved 2 complimentary bottles of water a day. Air-conditioner worked well. A small mini-bar was provided with drinks at a cost. There was a kettle but tea and coffee was NOT complimentary.
Rooms (deluxe) are small and claustrophobic with tiny shower and toilet room. There was mildew all over the shower, and the floor needed a scrub, The sheets were oil-stained. View was onto a wall of the next building, and the window did not open. their were only 2 available English channels on the little box TV but the quality was too bad to watch them. There was only one bedside table and lamp, and the room was dark so it was impossible to read at night. Carpets are stained and walls could do with a good coat of paint.
The reception staff are unfriendly and impersonal.
We only paid 1500 baht a night for this room, but for a similar rate we could have done better. We were happy to leave.
Only choose this place, if you want to be in the Night Bazaar and don't really care about much else.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holidayer011
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

When I first arrived at this hotel, it was raining a little. The limo driver took us to some small alley and upon seeing the frontage of the hotel, I was a little disappointed. Then, we went through the check-in process and it was done smoothly. From there on, my perception about this hotel changed 180 degrees. The receptions were friendly. The room was lovely and most importantly, super clean. After the rain had stopped, my party of five plus a baby took the chance to walk around the areas surrounding Star Hotel and only to find out that we were actually located in the center of Chiang Mai city. Excellent!

The downside with Star Hotel (to my personal opinion) was;

1. Not many people in Chiang Mai speak good English and the friendly staff in Star Hotel was no exception. Conversing with them was like chicken and duck trying to make sense with one another.
2. Another downside was the bed. It was hard and I woke up with back ache every morning. Lucky that Chiang Mai offers many massage places and they're super cheap too.
3. Our room window was facing an abandoned half way constructed building. Such an unpleasant view.
4. There is a restaurant in Star Hotel Chiang Mai but we didn't try the food there because it wasn't halal.

Room Tip: Ask for any room that isn't facing an abandoned half way constructed building. If any.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aj_tuah
Chatnapatr, ผู้จัดการ at Star Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Khun Aj_tuah

Thank you for spending time to review us.

We are pleased you liked our hotel location with our staff all very helpful. I will shared feedback to all staffs.

We would like to apologize for bad everything experience. I will improve to better and show you again.