“Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Gloucestershire
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and were pleased with the place. It is close to the night bazaar and lots of shops. The food they serve in the restaurant was excellent and very good value. The rooms are a little dated but clean and comfortable. The downside is you need plenty of deet as there are a lot of mosquitos due to the closeness of the river. We booked a trip through the guest house, elephant trekking, and it was very good value for money and an amazing experience. The only negative thing that I can say is that on our last day we asked reception to book a flight for us, we were charged 150 english pounds for it and when I checked at the airport it had actually only cost 80 pounds, so I think that they charged way too much commission.
On the whole it is a good place to stay, you get what you pay for and the rates were very reasonable. i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Petra W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

This place I thought was a lot nicer in person than the pictures online. The staff is VERY helpful and accommodating. The food they served was great and the location was on the river and 2 minutes walking to the night market which was really convenient. The rooms were really clean and spacious for the price, and I felt comfortable the entire stay. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs if you can
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

This was a perfectly acceptable place to stay, but I guess I expected just slightly more after reading the positive reviews. The location is good although I probably would have preferred being closer to the center of things (about 15-20 minute walk). There is no riverfront walk (as I had hoped there would be). I slept well and found the staff very pleasant. One thing disappointing but more humorous than anything else: I was shocked at the truly tiny portion of granola that was served for breakfast. (I am American but NOT at all overweight, so it's not that I eat huge portions. I'm comparing it to other places.) Not a problem: I would just order two portions together, slightly overpriced but not when you consider the overall price of staying here. Overall, a decent choice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank biophiliac
Shanghai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Perhaps I was expecting too much after all the really positive reviews but I was a little disappointed. This certainly isn't a bad place to stay but it just wasn't anything particularly special. The rooms were clean and serviced daily but both my wife and I found them a little noisy at night - there was a permeating base beat from some nearby club (fortunately not too nearby) and the traffic noise was noticeable (rather surprisingly since the guest house is at the end of a quiet lane but the sound from the busy road across the river seems to drift in)

The restaurant was mediocre at best - which is a pity as it has a river view and would be a nice place to sit and relax if the food were better. Fortunately the Galare is close to the Night Bazaar and there are plenty of eating options within 10 minutes walk.

The staff were very helpful in finding out information for us, booking a taxi for an early flight out and writing down addresses in Thai, so we could show the tuk-tuk driver. No complaints on this front.

Overall, this wasn't a bad place and I'd even consider returning - but I think I'd try somewhere else on my next trip.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Porpententious
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Upon arrival we were greeting by 3 lovely ladies who were helpful throughout our entire stay

Rooms clean and services daily with clean towels

Amazing food at an amazing value

Great location, right on the river and about 5 mins walk to the main strip

The only downside is the mosquitoes. They got in through a few holes in the nets covering the windows. But nothing some deet couldn't fix

Would highly reccomend to anyone wanting cheap and clean accomodatikb

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Annika L
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I was eyeing this guest house first time I came to Chiang Mai in 2004. Unfortunately, it was fully booked in 2004 and all subsequent times I was in Chiang Mai. This time I was lucky - I managed to book 4 nights (January 2012). And it did exceed my expectations!

Room is spacious, with two windows (two sides), fridge, chair, table, tea pot, etc. Really amazing and dependable staff, as someone said already. Great breakfast (love the rice soup). Lovely restaurant setting, with a river on the side.

Look forward to coming back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank olgahk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I felt at home here! Galare staff emphasize friendliness and hospitality. And the cleaning staff was top notch. Rooms are basic and quaint but the beds are very comfortable! (I paid $200 in Khao Lak for a similarly comfortable bed and $90 in Phuket for a dirty bathroom!) Galare is an excellent value and right on the river.

• Stayed January 2012