“Pleasant home for days in Chiang Mai”
Review of Galare Guest House

Galare Guest House
Ranked #66 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Saratoga Springs, ny
“Pleasant home for days in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Staff were very friendly and helpful. The buildings are comfortable with the furnished balconies, a/c in the rooms and open air restaurant on the river. Our room was spacious compared to other guest houses we visited in Thailand. We ate at least one meal a day here, preferring to eating Thai fare, and the food was consistently very good. I must eat gluten -free and the staff understood enough english to comprehend the gluten issues and prepare safe and tasty food for me. They were very accomodating. We were together able to determine which sauces were safe (did not have wheat/gluten).
We did not book excursions through the guest house, being more of the do-it-yourselfers. Songtaew and Tuk-tuk are usually available at the end of the block, for easy transportation around the city and beyond. You're close enough to walk to the Warorot and Hmong Markets, if you can stand the heat. The Kalare night market is closer, but more junk-kind of like Canal street in NYC.
We would definitely stay here again. The only issue we had was with our housekeeper-a unhappy-looking older woman who was always sitting on the balcony when we returned in the afternoon and didn't always replace our water, washcloths or soap. The front desk always happily gave us what we needed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ooctavia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
San Pedro, California
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Chiang Mai is not a restful place. The Galare has a nice location on the river and is reasonably priced. It irked me that they require you to pay in cash before you stay there. Lots of mosquitoes in the riverside eating area. Food is average, no breakfast included.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Khon Kaen, Thailand
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Galare guesthouse is a lovely, high value stay. The rooms are nice, the bathrooms could use some updating. Nice restaurant along the river's edge. The staff is friendly and helpful. They are very competent with any tours, transportation or service. Although quiet at night, the location is excellent. A 10 minute walk brings you to Bubbles Disco, 12 minutes to Anusarn Market or the Night Market. We have stayed here a few times and they do not disappoint.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank EMS52
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights and were pleased with the place. It is close to the night bazaar and lots of shops. The food they serve in the restaurant was excellent and very good value. The rooms are a little dated but clean and comfortable. The downside is you need plenty of deet as there are a lot of mosquitos due to the closeness of the river. We booked a trip through the guest house, elephant trekking, and it was very good value for money and an amazing experience. The only negative thing that I can say is that on our last day we asked reception to book a flight for us, we were charged 150 english pounds for it and when I checked at the airport it had actually only cost 80 pounds, so I think that they charged way too much commission.
On the whole it is a good place to stay, you get what you pay for and the rates were very reasonable. i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Petra W
Reviewed 15 February 2012

This place I thought was a lot nicer in person than the pictures online. The staff is VERY helpful and accommodating. The food they served was great and the location was on the river and 2 minutes walking to the night market which was really convenient. The rooms were really clean and spacious for the price, and I felt comfortable the entire stay. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs if you can
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This was a perfectly acceptable place to stay, but I guess I expected just slightly more after reading the positive reviews. The location is good although I probably would have preferred being closer to the center of things (about 15-20 minute walk). There is no riverfront walk (as I had hoped there would be). I slept well and found the staff very pleasant. One thing disappointing but more humorous than anything else: I was shocked at the truly tiny portion of granola that was served for breakfast. (I am American but NOT at all overweight, so it's not that I eat huge portions. I'm comparing it to other places.) Not a problem: I would just order two portions together, slightly overpriced but not when you consider the overall price of staying here. Overall, a decent choice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank biophiliac
Shanghai
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Perhaps I was expecting too much after all the really positive reviews but I was a little disappointed. This certainly isn't a bad place to stay but it just wasn't anything particularly special. The rooms were clean and serviced daily but both my wife and I found them a little noisy at night - there was a permeating base beat from some nearby club (fortunately not too nearby) and the traffic noise was noticeable (rather surprisingly since the guest house is at the end of a quiet lane but the sound from the busy road across the river seems to drift in)

The restaurant was mediocre at best - which is a pity as it has a river view and would be a nice place to sit and relax if the food were better. Fortunately the Galare is close to the Night Bazaar and there are plenty of eating options within 10 minutes walk.

The staff were very helpful in finding out information for us, booking a taxi for an early flight out and writing down addresses in Thai, so we could show the tuk-tuk driver. No complaints on this front.

Overall, this wasn't a bad place and I'd even consider returning - but I think I'd try somewhere else on my next trip.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family