River View Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$539
US$454
Agoda.com
Le Meridien Chiang Mai(Chiang Mai)
US$109
US$78
US$45
US$38
Agoda.com
Yaang Come Village(Chiang Mai)
US$121
US$100
US$198
US$129
US$105
US$87
Agoda.com
All reviewsping rivernight marketnice poolpeaceful gardenswimming poolshort walkconvenient locationkoong
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I have stayed at the River View Lodge two times, once with my husband and once with my daughter.The prices are ver reasonable, rooms are clean and the owners are very friendly.It was pleasant eating breakfast in the garden. We especially liked being so close to the market. We could easily walk there several times a day. Mu husband and I took the owner and his wife out to a restaurant they recommended and we would never have found it on our own. They ordered for us and the meal was great. The owner gave me the name of a fabulous restaurant in Bangkok which we would never have found on our own and I would love to return to it. I have wonderful memories.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Nice & quiet property. Breakfast is ok and the swimming pool is an oasis in this very hot city. Staff is very friendly and the old lady in the breakfast kitchen is super super friendly and nice.
In room wifi, although advertised, is practically nonexistent, you have to go to the restaurant area to get a decent signal.
Riverside, but to arrive by normal means (walk / tuc tuc) it is necessary to go through 300 m of secluded street, quite strange, especially at night.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alejandro C
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Location - great location in a quiet area right on the river (though don't get too excited about the river view, it isn't much to look at)

Staff - the staff were very helpful with anything we needed. They provide great advice on day trips and where to go and not go. They can arrange rides and the excursions they reccomand are for good reason. The hotel is run by a family and you can tell they really care about the place.

Rooms - the whole hotel is very well taken care of. The rooms are clean and we felt perfectly safe.

Food - the food was just okay. We had breakfast here most days. Small portions, but made with care. They are fast and efficient with the service. Go elsewhere for lunch and dinner if you can, but it will do the trick to stay in when you aren't feeling like going out.

Drinks (beer, wine, water...) and snacks (chocolate, cheese cake, chips...) are available 24 hours

The pool is great.

The gardens are beautiful.

Overall, the place is great!

Room Tip: Wifi is available, but it is best from the dining area since I think that is where the router is. If you want a good connection from your room, try and get a room above the dining area. The view is a bit better there too.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank scoll104
Reviewed 4 April 2012

This did not feel like an oasis to me. I had read the mixed reviews on trip advisor and decided to go ahead and book this. I booked on their site. They do charge you for one-night in advance 1800 Baht (and since we checked out after one night that seems like good practice on their part). I'l start by saying that Chiang Mai is much more urban, busy & noisy than I expected. I thought I wanted to be close to town but it was too close. The walk to the hotel especially at night is very well lit, so I didn't feel unsafe but did feel uneasy. The traffic across the Ping river is very loud and there was construction going on in the front of the place. Fortunately the noise did not disturb us inside the room.

The room itself was adequate and basic but felt very cold. All white walls and tile floors with minimal decor (not minimalist style, just blah). We joked that the room felt like a siberian dorm room. The chairs and desk were low to the ground. No TV, which wouldn't have been a big deal except it might have distracted us from the gloomy feeling we had. working western plumbing & good hot water, but the shower head was old and had a lot of lime deposits. The AC was good and strong and no bug issues inside the room. The gardens were a little less lush than the photos but were quaint, however the noise across the river was too intrusive to sit there and enjoy it. Also I thought people were being whiney when they complained about the mosquitos, but they were pretty bad in the garden and the open air breakfast area. Breakfast was fine although the coffee not so good. The staff was distant and reserved. I had at first been interested in booking one of their tours but I had little confidence in their advice when we checked in. They seemed to be polite & efficient but not friendly. I wondered that they might be friendlier once they warmed up to people after a few days. When I checked out 2 days early there was no surprise or inquiry into the reason.

If they warmed up the look of the rooms a bit, used that great citronella oil for the bugs like other places do, and had a bit more friendly out-going staff it would go a long way.

We ended up at a really nice resort right across the river (Rarinjinda) it cost 3x as much but was so worth it after a night at River View. a couple good restaurants over there too with nice views of the river at night from the otherside. We were still able to walk to the night market and the old city is just a bit farther. We did a tuk-tuk back one night because we were tired. for 2-3 bucks a ride go ahead and stay a little farther away or across the Ping. Go for a better place if you can swing it. If you are on a tight budget, I'd look for another place that might cost less.

Room Tip: the double is two beds pushed together which was not a problem (beds are hard in the typical Asian style)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Currently staying here for six nights. It's right on the Ping River and close to the night bazaar and many temples. Staff are generally good, but a few seem either distant or reserved. Breakfast is simple but fine. The room is simple and my only complaint is that the walls are thin. The cool pool is great in this climate.

• Stayed: March 2012