“Not up to much” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #313 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
London
“Not up to much”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

Stayed here for one night and was not overly impressed. The room was tired and had paint peeling off the walls. I took a shower and it was freezing cold and then was woken up early as the swimming pool was right next to my room. Would not hurry back to stay there

• Stayed November 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Thai first
dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2007

I did not really enjoy my stay at the Top North Hotel. The common areas and pool were well-maintained, but I found my standard room (800 baht a night) to be dirty, with a number of ants in the bathroom and on the bed frame that I had to kill (bad karma in a Buddhist country). The shower has poor water pressure and uneven temperature (cool one minute, hot the next and then cool again).

I did not think much of the customer service—although their website advertises free airport pick-up, I requested one twice, and no one came. I also had to beg to get an extra towel to use at the pool.

Be careful about where your room is located. Mine was on the ground floor right by the pool and extremely noisy (the walls are thin) in the early morning (children who are up early) and in the late night (people hanging out after drinking). I moved to the Novotel (same price as the Top North if you get a good deal on their website) after 2 nights there and found it to be cleaner and more peaceful.

• Liked — centrally located
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness, excessive noise
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kroo

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

moscow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2007

Place is nice. Only problem are those two heavily drugged guys who work at the desk in the night time. They are stealing money from the safety box and acting strangely. Be careful with them...

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank MoscowSergei
south wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2007

Myself and my partner have stayed at TopNorth on at least ten occasions in the last six years and have always had enjoyable stays.The accomodation is always clean and comfortable the staff are friendly and helpful and breakfast is value for money .The newly refurbished pool is lovely and the staff keep it very clean.I have no hesitation in recomending it to anyone.By the way we are not backpackers we are 60 plus and love Chiangmai and the TopNorth. Jan.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank sionednant
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2007

at the Poolside. Cheezy action movies in the cafe, it's magic!!

If I hit the Jackpot, and could afford any place in Chiang Mai, I would still stay at the Top North!! A French Colonial layout,
or maybe Mediterranean? Rivera ? medium size, but always seems to have room. Very well maintained pool. You'll be hard pressed NOT to meet people, the layout is designed to optimize social contact, even if you're shy.

It's a good 15 minute walk from the downtown market, but you'll see a lot of cool things along the way. it snakes about a block within the castle walls. The block is a narrow strip of bars, guest houses, and quaint restaurants, It's like the gauntlet of nice, by the time you get to Top North, You'll think the World loves you!!

Ahh then the TOP NORTH it's like you're entering a 1960's villa full of intrigue!! This place could make a writer's career, you could make stories about the interesting visitors , because I've seen many an interesting character there!! The leering Frenchmen with the aviator glasses, He must be special forces, is he waiting for a mission??? The old man with a cane He didn't want to be recognized!! and of course all the beautiful European and Aussie girls.

ultra-friendly staff!!! All trips hikes and activities,
Motorcycle rentals.

The only downside May be the rooms, I'm ultra spartan, all I need is a bed running water and A.C. It's not dirty, it's just militaryesque. I didn't/don't care about rooms, so I still give it an excellent score!!

Oh and you can see the Gold temple on the Mountain

So to sum it up,....
TOP NORTH IS HEAVEN ON EARTH!!!!

I'll have pics later!!!

• Liked — The atmosphere
  • Disliked — noisy AC? I had to come up with something!!!
  • Stayed December 2003, travelled with friends
4 Thank gorfulator
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2007

I stayed at the Top North two times in January, 2007, and just want to give them a positive review, since my experience there was clearly better than other travelers. A group of us touring Thailand by motorcycles bookended our tour at the Top North, staying there 3 days before out tour, and 5 days after.
First and foremost - for the price, you can't beat it. Our room the first three days was 600 baht and very comparable to any other budget hotel I've ever stayed at. We upgraded our room the 2nd stay of 5 days, to 1150 baht a night, and it was actually quite lovely. A little dated, definitely, but clean and spacious.
We had a few problems arranging things at the front desk, but nothing outright rude, as other travelers have suggested. I think it was more of a language barrier than anything else. In fact, the people at the front travel kiosk are EXCELLENT!! My husband and I had an extra week in Chiang Mai but realized, sadly, that because of the Flower Festival, it was impossible to get air tickets back to Bangkok, and our only way to get back to Bangkok to catch our flight home was to go somewhere else in Thailand, and then on to Bangkok. We decided to go somewhere in the islands, but had no idea where to go. The people at the travel desk were extremely helpful, showing us maps, asking our budget and what we wanted to do, and then somehow booking us onto flights to Phuket that no one else in our group had been able to get on - until we had the friendly staff at Top North take care of it for us. They were amazing.
There were also a few of us in the group that occasionally misplaced items (helmets and other bike gear, mostly). They had always been found by the staff, and put behind the front desk for people to retrieve when they realized they were missing. Nothing ever "disappeared", which was appreciated.
The breakfast staff also need to be commended. While the breakfast itself was a typical american no frills meal ( I recommend going with the Muesli, fruit and yoghurt - always a safe bet!!), the staff were great - very friendly, quick and helpful. In fact on the 2nd stay there, after our tour, our favorite waitress ( I have forgotten her name right now - sorry, I'm bad) came over and wanted to see pictures!!
All in all, our stay there was great. We had a large-ish group (15 adults, 10 rooms), and considering the logistics the staff had to deal with given our groups size (room upgrades, downgrades, laundry, some people paying together, some paying separately, etc.) I'd say they were very patient and accomodating.
The pool area is nice, it can get a little cramped in the afternoon, but nothing horrific, just what you would expect at peak sun-bathing hours. I had a massage at the pool, and while it wasn't the best one I had in my month in Thailand, it was certainly lovely for the price - 200 B for an hour...
To sum it up... when I travel like this, I don't spend much time in my room, therefore I don't want to spend a ton of money. I do expect it to be pleasant, however, and these rooms were perfectly fine, especially the upgraded one. If you are a traveller who spends a lot of time in their room and wants it to be posh, the Top North may not suit your needs. If you want a pleasant, affordable place within walking distance of just about anything you need (night, Sunday, Saturday markets, shopping, restaurants) or a short tuk-tuk ride to anything else you may desire (we never paid more than 20 baht a person!), this location is great!!

• Liked — Location and price
  • Stayed January 2007
2 Thank lynners
Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2006

We stayed at the hotel for 1 week in April. Room was very clean and so was the pool. On a number of occasions we had no electricity for about 5hours. Staff were friendly in restaurant as we got breakfast free but did not eat at all in the evening in the restaurant because it always shut by8.30pm.

We also had money stolen from room when it was queastioned with the manager there she admitted it was the cleaner as someone saw her but told me she could do nothing. So do not leave any valuables in your room. Nice part of Chaing Mai right near the night bazaar which is great and you all must do the 3 day trek!!!.

• Liked — Swimming Pool
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not leave valuables in your room