“Nice and flavourful”

KHAN Restaurant
Ranked #1,152 of 2,195 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Pakistani
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Came here as needed to find halal restaurants for the Muslim guest. It serves Thai and Indian food. So we've ordered both dishes to try out. Food is great overall especially naan bread and doesn't take much time to serve from the time we've ordered. Tomyam khung also good. Only one part that failed which was the food (fried) came a bit raw from inside. It's surely frozen when they fried it. We sent it back and when chef re-do it, it's taste good.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Superb deep fried hot and sour red snapper preceded by a tabouleh and Arabian salad . Really well prepared food- fresh and very tasty and good value. Would be nice to have had a beer but having a drink before or after works .
To be clear this was the Khan next to Lena's ( which should be avoided if you want value for money and tasty food) . There is a second Khan's in the night market next to a massage place .

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is definitely the worst place we have eaten in a long time. They served a chicken salad sandwich at the place of a club. The pacoras were half cooked. The tika chicken was tasting like it had been reheated three times. The kebab was too spicy, specifically orderd "not spicy". Potato spinach plate was taste less. Even got a cooked dead fly on the naan bread. That was the limit, I complained and they ignored us. They even made us pay for the whole meal. Stay away from this restaurant.

From this experience, we will read reviews before choosing when possible.

1  Thank Bumpthead
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I know you arent in Thailand to eat Indian/Pakistani food, neither were we. But we were looking for a change and decided to try this restaurant in the Chiang Mai night market. The food was fantastic!! - we had a selection of dishes and each one was the best of its kind I have had in ages - the naans were fantastic and crisp, the tabbouleh was amazing, and the palak paneer was the freshest best I have ever had - and I eat a lot of palak paneer!

Some of the other reviewers had bad experiences with the service, we found it very welcoming and friendly. The person serving us did suggest an extra dish that had sauce as we had ordered a lof of dry things, this was excellent advice and Im glad we followed it.

The restaurant was quite empty the two nights we walked past before we went in - dont let that put you off, the food was fresh and delicious. Definitely worth a night off from all the noodle soup!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

The food at Khan Restaurant was okay, and the place was pretty and clean, but that is not what I remember from this place. What I remember is the staff's idea of how to treat their customers.

I ordered a dish with rice and chicken and mango juice, while my friend wasn't very hungry and didn't order anything. The first thing that happens is that they come to the table with two bottles of water. We never asked for this, and of course though it was free (spoiler alert: It wasn't). Next, the food arrives. I got my dish, what I thought was mango juice, while my friend, that I repeat DIDN'T ORDER ANYTHING, got a bowl of rice. My "juice" also turned out to be a smoothie, which is more expensive than juice. When we get the bill, they have charged us 40 baht for the water, 60 baht for the bowl of rice, and 80 baht for the smoothie (as opposed to 60 for juice). When we tried to explain this to the staff, thinking it was a mistake, they were very rude and wouldn't let me speak, interrupting me the whole time and pointing at the menu saying I ordered this and that. I eventually ended up paying for the one bottle of water we had opened, the rice, and 60 baht for the smoothie. But the worst had yet to happen!

When we payed, I payed with a 1000 baht bill, before we began arguing with the staff. After we had settled the discussion, I asked for the change, some 600 baht. The guy then has the nerve to tell me I HAD ALREADY GOTTEN MY CHANGE BACK. After being treated in the worst possible way, this man tried to scam me for 600 baht! I asked him if he wanted me to call the police, to which he said nothing and eventually gave me my change back with an angry look.

So in short this place brings food to the table you haven't ordered, then charges you for it, then tries to steal your money, and on top of it has a horrible idea of customer service. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.