“Sickest Hotel so far in my life. Very hard to give any other than the maximum amount of stars” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #2 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

If somone would have showed me that Hotel and told me that it is the temple of the King I would actually go ahead and say "Wow what a nice temple!".

Thats how amazing the building looks. Never seen anything like that during my trips around the world. It is just breath taking. There are different kind of accomodations from colonial suits to houses and stuff.

All 3 restaurants are good. I liked the thai one the best. Also there is a horse car and a minicar service that can transport you through the hotel.

The staff is extremly friendly just like you would expect it to be. Also more friendly than in other culture since south east asians are more caring and smiling than other cultures which makes the experience even better. Also one thing worth mentioning is that the staff could speak very proper english which is somewhat rare in Thailand.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

The majority of staff at Mandarin Oriental Chiangmai were well-trained and helpful which made its hotel guests feel welcome. The resort is huge with facilities and activities organized for meeting the needs of every hotel guest - family and couples. I in particular love the library - spacious & tranquil. The afternoon tea was worth trying too. After a long day, I would also immerse into the spa service for relaxation. The breakfast selection was fantastic which provided different types of fruits and oriental as well as western food. For the hot buffet section, the chef would make some changes to the menu everyday so that you would never feel bored should you stay for a week or so.

The downside was the mosquito problem. While the staff spray the insect repellent on a regular basis, it was still very serious. I was bitten 8 times in my room during my stay. One night I spray some mosquito repellent inside the mosquito net, I found 2 dead mosquitoes on my bed when I went to sleep. You might wonder why it only happened indoor. That's because I would spray the mosquito repellent from my neck down every time before I went out.

All in all, it is a lovely resort which is worth staying.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Karmaexplorer
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

The hotel is very amazing. Room is roomy and comfortable. Breakfast is one the best in Chang with good variety. Staff are very friendly and make a real effort. The SPA is little expensive but its one of the best. Everhting is perfect. I have a great time here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Staying at at this hotel was perfectly exceptional experience for us. The hotel's architecture itself is amazing. The ambience and atmosphere inside is peaceful. We like the big trees, beautiful gardens, and the interesting rice field. We stayed in a colonial suits and it was indeed a wonderful luxurious stay. The furnitures in the building and inside the room are in high quality with elegant designs.
The breakfast buffet was excellent. Staffs were very hospitable with warm welcoming in guests.
We were having a very good time while relaxing in this beautiful hotel. Staying at this hotel is a great value for money indeed.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sonita K
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

My sister and I bought our mother to celebrate her 90th birthday. We all had an amazing and very special time. The colonial suite accommodated the 3 of us very well. Everything was perfect from the moment we drove up and were greeted by very professional and friendly staff, the three restaurants were very different and exceptional and we had the best massages we have ever had . Our mother had one on one classes with the yoga master and he had her moving more flexibly than she had for several years. The week stay was an experience of a life time.

Room Tip: The colonial rooms next to the swimming pool was very convenient.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank susanne B
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed here to celebrate a friends 40th birthday, 7 of us in total and from the moment we pulled up the long drive and caught site of the hotel we knew we were onto something special. The hotel is Thai/colonial style, all wood and whitewashed walls, truly stunning. We stayed in the colonial suite and it was everything we expected and more, our balcony was so big we could have held a party on it and the suite was enormous with a lounge, dining room, bedroom, hallway, 3 toilets, dressing room and enormous bathroom. The staff here are so attentive, nothing is too much trouble for them, the pool guy was forever serving me bottled water and moving my sunlounger for me so I could catch the sun and when we swam in the pool we were delighted to hear underwater piped music! The food here is something else, our first night we dined Thai style and there was so much food that we couldn't eat it all and it was so well presented and Thai dancers too to entertain us!
We even went for a bike ride around the stunning grounds and (working) paddy fields, hubby had a massage at the spa and said it was the best he had ever had! The Horn Bar was great too as we made our way through the endless cocktail list. The second night we had a private BBQ on the terrace and it totally blew us away, the staff used dozens of tealight candles to spell "Happy Birthday Mr Robinson" to our friend and we had our own personal chefs to serve us the most exquisite food we have ever tasted. The week before we arrived Sylvester Stallone & Angelina Jolie stayed here (not together I hasten to add!) so if it's good enough for A listers then it's good enough for me!
A special place well worth a visit (we have been back twice since) especially for that special occasion.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Helen N
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is my 4th visit this hotel, the services is Excellect. Nice location, breakfast very nice.
Many activites for kids and family. My kids very enjoy with activites at Rice Field, Craft. ( making Kite). Good experice with Natural and Culture of North Thailand. M

Room Tip: Colonial Suite
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family