“Big and grand, a beautiful hotel”

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 20 September 2012

When I arrived the hotel, I thought it was converted from a historical site, but indeed it's not. It was built like an ancient Lanna city. You can take beautiful pictures in many places within the hotel and it also look like a botanic garden with lots of trees. In fact, this place is so big that you can call their golf cart service to take you around to any point, or you can get a free bike from the Fitness Centre to cycling within the resort. They offer free wifi at the library, where it has thousands of DVD for hotel guests. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. I'd recommend the afternoon tea set at the Cake Shop, the environment is cosy and elegant while the cake and scones are delicious. The pool is beautiful and they are so friendly to offer floating aids for kids. We tried their famous brunch and also a dinner at their French restaurant. The brunch is reasonably good but not comparable to their Bangkok one. For French dinner, the service is great and the food is at reasonably good quality, though may not be exceeding your expectation. Lastly, don't be scared if you suddenly find a cat in your balcony.

Room Tip: try low season and you may get upgrade, as we did.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen_Tem_Tem
Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Where do I begin ? I visited this hotel when it first opened around 7-8 years ago . It was such spectacular site that I completely got lost in its enchanting beauty.There were replicas of temples ,Pagodas and an actual rice field ( with rice farmers !) inside the vast hotel ground.

Fast forward to 2012 and upon my return I was shocked that what was once a pristine beautiful hotel is now a run down Disney theme park that is more shabby than super chic.

I booked a Villa for 2 with breakfast that cost me around 670 USD and also a round trip airport transfer which was around 76 USD. The correspondents between the hotel and myself via email was very clear and all my questions were answer promptly. The Reservation officer was so helpful in booking restaurants and giving suggestions that I had a great feeling about my one nighter at the hotel .

I arrived in Chiang Mai in the morning and was met with a representative of the hotel who showed me to my 'limo'- a stretch white Mercedes Benz decked out in a retro fashion . All very James Bond circa 1970s . I was greeted on my arrival with a Mali flower necklace , a cold towel and a cold drink . The check in process was swift and I was told that my room was upgraded to a Villa which made me a little confused as I had booked a Villa Room in the first place .

I was showed to my room and because of the vastness of the place we had to take a ride in a golf cart . That was when I noticed that something was a little off . The pristine white walls of the hotel are now covered in murky gray streaks . The intended unkempt lush tropical gardens now just looked like messy. The walls of the villas looked like they were in dire need of repairs .The red brick pavements were damaged and have been repaired but the workmanship looked so patchy that I began to question where I was . Was this really Mandarin Oriental or some broke down palace passing itself off as a luxury resort .

Upon entering my villa I was quite impressed . It was huge and split into two levels . The open air downstairs complete with kitchen and dining area and a swing . Lovely . The upstairs bedroom has a en suite bathroom with a whirlpool tub , separate shower and toilet . It was very big indeed . I unpacked my bag and decided to hit the gym before my friend's arrival in the late afternoon.

The gym is big and it was empty. There were various machines as well as a workout bench and row of free weights . The gym is next to one of the pools. I was told that this pool was more beautiful than the other pool which was just your regular infinity pool . I finished my exercise 1.5 hour later and decided to walk back to my villa which was not very far from the gym . I had bought some snacks from Starbucks from the airport in Bangkok and after my workout I was looking forward to munching them while sitting on the swing in the comfort of my villa.

I opened the villa door to my upstairs bedroom and I was shocked at what I was looking at ! A gigantic RAT was rummaging through my bag and Starbucks' goodies ! OMG " ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG " I yelled at the top of my voice prompting the rat to run towards me so I stomped my foot on the floor and it ran to the opposite direction ! I could not believe this. A BIG FAT RAT on the writing desk in my villa at the luxurious Mandarin Oriental ! OMGx10000 !!!

I called the hotel operator in a panic and asked her to send someone to catch Mickey who I assumed was still in my room . A gardener came and he asked me whether what I saw was actually a Squirrel as they have a lot of Squirrels on the property . I was so mad and that point and told him that I could tell the differences between a squirrel and a bloody big fat rat ! I was told that the GM would come to my villa shortly. The GM is actually a very pretty lady called Ms Champunuch who was very apologetic and told me that she would move me to another room. She informed me that they were rained out for two days straight due to a tropical storm and they had to use heavy duty pest control method to get rid of all the pests which evidently escaped into guestrooms !

She got me on her golf cart and drove me to my new room which is this lovely pool villa that comes with its own steam room and a huge four poster bed. Ms Champunuch also sent over some treats ( cakes and fruits ) to make up for my Mickey Mouse run in . My friend arrived a few hours later and we went to have dinner at one of the hotel's restaurants called Le Grand Lanna which serves traditional Northern Thai food and regular Thai food. The food was very nice and the staffs were very charming . We walked back and I realised that what was once a spectacular site is now a Disney-fied version of its former glory . It was almost like being in a movie set and not in a good way.

We had a pleasant sleep and went for breakfast in the morning . It was pitiful. There were many choices but I thought the presentation was just awful for a Mandarin Oriental. The fruits were left on trays without any covers and had swarms of flies al over them . The staffs were very helpful but I couldn't stop reminding myself that this is THE MANDARIN ORIENTAL ! For heaven's sake ! I have come to expect a certain standard from this chain . I have stayed at Mandarin Oriental all over the world and this breakfast to me would not look out of place at a naff resort hotel.

I checked out and they charged me the price of the villa , my round trip transport and my dinner with absolutely no discount for my encounter with a field rat which was fine. I could afford it but it's also safe to say that I won't becoming A FAN of this Mandarin Oriental .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
16  Thank kade9
Reviewed 15 September 2012

If somone would have showed me that Hotel and told me that it is the temple of the King I would actually go ahead and say "Wow what a nice temple!".

Thats how amazing the building looks. Never seen anything like that during my trips around the world. It is just breath taking. There are different kind of accomodations from colonial suits to houses and stuff.

All 3 restaurants are good. I liked the thai one the best. Also there is a horse car and a minicar service that can transport you through the hotel.

The staff is extremly friendly just like you would expect it to be. Also more friendly than in other culture since south east asians are more caring and smiling than other cultures which makes the experience even better. Also one thing worth mentioning is that the staff could speak very proper english which is somewhat rare in Thailand.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The majority of staff at Mandarin Oriental Chiangmai were well-trained and helpful which made its hotel guests feel welcome. The resort is huge with facilities and activities organized for meeting the needs of every hotel guest - family and couples. I in particular love the library - spacious & tranquil. The afternoon tea was worth trying too. After a long day, I would also immerse into the spa service for relaxation. The breakfast selection was fantastic which provided different types of fruits and oriental as well as western food. For the hot buffet section, the chef would make some changes to the menu everyday so that you would never feel bored should you stay for a week or so.

The downside was the mosquito problem. While the staff spray the insect repellent on a regular basis, it was still very serious. I was bitten 8 times in my room during my stay. One night I spray some mosquito repellent inside the mosquito net, I found 2 dead mosquitoes on my bed when I went to sleep. You might wonder why it only happened indoor. That's because I would spray the mosquito repellent from my neck down every time before I went out.

All in all, it is a lovely resort which is worth staying.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Karmaexplorer
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The hotel is very amazing. Room is roomy and comfortable. Breakfast is one the best in Chang with good variety. Staff are very friendly and make a real effort. The SPA is little expensive but its one of the best. Everhting is perfect. I have a great time here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Staying at at this hotel was perfectly exceptional experience for us. The hotel's architecture itself is amazing. The ambience and atmosphere inside is peaceful. We like the big trees, beautiful gardens, and the interesting rice field. We stayed in a colonial suits and it was indeed a wonderful luxurious stay. The furnitures in the building and inside the room are in high quality with elegant designs.
The breakfast buffet was excellent. Staffs were very hospitable with warm welcoming in guests.
We were having a very good time while relaxing in this beautiful hotel. Staying at this hotel is a great value for money indeed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sonita K
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My sister and I bought our mother to celebrate her 90th birthday. We all had an amazing and very special time. The colonial suite accommodated the 3 of us very well. Everything was perfect from the moment we drove up and were greeted by very professional and friendly staff, the three restaurants were very different and exceptional and we had the best massages we have ever had . Our mother had one on one classes with the yoga master and he had her moving more flexibly than she had for several years. The week stay was an experience of a life time.

Room Tip: The colonial rooms next to the swimming pool was very convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family