“FLAWLESS SERVICE!!!!!!”

The Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai
Ranked #1 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Absolutely FLAWLESS service!!! This is the first time this has ever happened to us. The service was perfect in every way, not a single mistake of any kind. In fact it was literally “word” perfect – every order or instruction was repeated back to us without the slightest error. I thought I understood what five star service meant, but apparently not. For example, not only was laundry done very well – they removed an ink stain that a previous hotel failed at – they even took the time to unwrap it, and hang each item in the closet with other similar items. I have never seen that done before.
I must correct a misrepresentation in the current edition of a major guide book – this hotel is not hard to get around. Walking was not a big deal, and enjoyable as the property is beautiful. When we didn’t want to walk, we needed to only pick up the phone and a golf cart was there within 5 minutes to take us wherever we wanted to go. They offer horse and buggy rides, and bicycles if you wish.
We received a complimentary upgrade (which we appreciated immensely) to a villa with the jetted private plunge pool and two story gazebo. We could walk out of our second story bedroom, and then walk across the wood bridge to the second level of the gazebo – which was our favorite place to sit outside. Our villa was very large with more space than two people will ever need. The bathroom area was awesome with a large closet and dressing area, and a stunning corner Jacuzzi bath tub which was huge. I want that tub in my house! We had an indoor/outdoor shower and a steam room. There was a mini bar on each floor, plus a really good espresso machine. We had lots of water features, with streams flowing past the front and back of our villa. The villa has been finished to a high standard with quality wood work throughout. We had a nice desk in a separate office area.
Here’s something you must try – we ordered the afternoon tea service. They sent two people to set up an elaborate white table cloth spread, with a tiered silver serving tray full of an assortment of biscuits and treats. We asked to have the tea outside on the upper gazebo, which was no problem. Not a single detail was over looked here either. They rolled down the blinds so the late afternoon sun wouldn’t be in our faces, set the ceiling fan going, put the lights on… the whole set up was perfect. The tea service included some ice cream, the best coconut ice cream we had on the trip, and probably ever. It was very reasonably priced.
My wife liked the daily turn down with little pillow gifts. The in room dining is great, the service prompt and the dishes were collected promptly. I liked the two floor villa layout - we ate our room service dinner down stairs and then retired upstairs allowing the table to be cleared without intrusion. A great complimentary espresso coffee machine is supplied. The concierge service was excellent - I rattled off a list of things we wanted and everything was done exactly as we wanted with no trouble. The buffet breakfast was excellent. My wife inquired about a buffet item and ended up with a server walking around with her explaining each dish as they went. We even had a flutist playing for us while riding a buffalo in the garden below. I guess this is what a true five star hotel is all about – exceeding expectations we didn’t know we had!
I really liked Chiang Mai town. While my wife did a jewelry making course at Nova Collection (highly recommended) I walked around, got massages, had lunch etc. without anyone approaching me or bothering me in anyway. This is a nice area to poke around safely.
Skip the tour to the Golden Triangle, there is nothing there to justify the very long drive. The tribal villages are not very good - we thought they were a waste of time better spent in the hotel. Avoid the Cabbages and Condoms restaurants on tours in this area, they are not very good, so let your guide know up front. Do go to Tigerland – we were thrilled. The market at the Burmese border is very lively and interesting – our favorite on this trip – ask your guide to allow a couple of hours to explore, shop for reasonably priced souvenirs, and check out the unusual foods.
One last thing - the spa is amazing. The facilties are awsome, and the service providers are trained well beyond typical North American luxury spas. Expect to pay U$100 to $150 an hour, but it is well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Piggy-can-fly
Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was not fortunate enough to stay at this magnificent hotel, just went for dinner at their Thai restaurant. The food was great and was accompanied by a local dance performance that was very good. Our local host advised he had been there many times and the performance was different each time. Staff were excellent, very friendly and incredibly helpful when ordering.
Had a look around the hotel which looks fantastic. The Horn Bar is particularly worth seeing.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This spectacular resort hotel was built only nine years ago, but looks like a storybook setting from the kingdom of Siam. It is centrally located in Chang Mai, but once you enter its gate, you are truly in a different world. We hated to leave the property and our gorgeous suite of rooms during the day, but we were there to sightsee. We did manage to enjoy the beautiful swimming pool a couple of times. The international buffet breakfast is probably the most elaborate and extensive - and delicious - we've ever had anywhere in the world. We had a wonderful dinner in their Thai restaurant and enjoyed a stunning show of traditional Thai dancing while we dined there. They also offer set box lunches at a very reasonable price and we were happy to be able to take advantage of that one day. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and buggy rides are provided to ferry guests around the property. Our visit to Chang Mai was memorable, in large part because of our stay at this amazing hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dobbstraveler
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The good: The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and the food is great. I loved the bar and enjoyed spent time in the beautiful lobby area watching the rains fall. The pool overlooking the rice paddy is picture-perfect. We had a suite and the room was very spacious and comfortable.

The weird: We had something go wrong every single day that we were at the hotel -- bikes, food orders, poolside service, room issues, etc. Also, the most absurdly expensive and bad hotel-arranged tour I've ever had. Tellingly for a luxury hotel, we never met a single manager in five days there. I got an email the other day saying it's no longer a Mandarin Oriental -- there are obviously issues with the property.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank marmaduketravel
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Stay for 2 nights in a Deluxe Colonial Suite as weekend break from Bangkok.

This amazing place has truly beautiful and elegance Lanna style architecture. Once we pass to front door, we have to say "WOW" and "WOW" and "WOW". It is expensive place, but compare with great service and large room, it is well worth the price.

Having try Spa and Sunday brunch, both of them are good and reasonable price. The fujian Chinese restaurant is probably one of the best in Chiang Mai, but we did not try Le Grand Lanna for Thai food.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kengkla
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We went to this superb hotel last january with children and it was one of the best places I have ever been.... Fantastic swimming pools, the restaurant close to the rice plantation is the most beautiful I have been in life!! Nice Gym, good area to ride the hotel bike, fantastic SPA... The colonial suites are huge and very nice decorated.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank juliana v
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed there for 3 times. First 2 times with my friends (and hmm.. they heard/saw something .....!!. Another time I went with my boyfriend. I personally like this magical outstanding beautiful place that much so I still choose this place for my next trip around this new year :)
Breakfast is not 10/10 but 100/10 I fall in love with many premium, fresh and healthy stuffs there.
Use bicycle and ride to every areas in there, some ways are so deep and dark, and no people, just keep going and you will see that it worths to do that. You will touch/do/see things that you havent tried/seen before.

Room Tip: Stay at the villa with private pool which faces swimming pool of fitness and farm view.