“Can't Imagine Staying Elsewhere in Chiang Mai”
Review of Rachamankha

Rachamankha
Ranked #9 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
New York
“Can't Imagine Staying Elsewhere in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

What a lovely property this is. After trying the Chedi last time, I found Rachamankha more to my liking. It's an intimate, peaceful oasis of authenticity. Loved the pool, library, breakfast, and overall aesthetic. Fun location, mostly earnest/excellent service. Breakfast good; didn't try the restaurant for dinner given our short stay. There were a couple of bumps with service but, really, I can't complain, particularly given the reasonable price. If you're keen on staying in town, look no further. It's a Relais Chateaux property, which explains a lot. GM Paul very nice, as well.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank kartwoman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I came to Chiang Mai to get away from the hustle bustle of my daily work and Rachamankha was the perfect place to stay at.
Within the old city of Chiang Mai, it offers nevertheless a very quiet and peaceful atmosphere. The breakfast in the patio is a delight and one can relax by the lovely swimming pool area.
The in room amenities are so cute it makes you want to buy them all and the comfortable bed and linen makes it hard to get out of bed!
Staff are always here to help and recommend any restaurant, tour or anything you may go to.
I certainly would return for another escape, hopefully soon!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 30 March 2010

After a hot and sticky day seeing the sights in Chiang Mai, it was a real treat to come home to the Rachamankha.

The hotel is really a beautiful resort. It’s decentralized, so we felt more like we were guests in an ancient palace than in a hotel. There is a small reception area, a separate restaurant building, two outdoor seating areas (which I think are the “lobby”), a pool area (with private Thai massage in a building upstairs), and a library with computers, current magazines and books to borrow, and a decanter of complimentary cognac. The plants were lovely, and there was an abundance of orchids.

The bed linens, towels, and furniture were all very high quality. The rooms were very clean, and amazingly insect-free. Just in case, the hotel staff drew the “curtains” on the beautiful bed, making for an elegant and romantic mosquito net. The hotel soap was lavender, so we were met with a slight spa scent when we opened our room. We would have liked if the room had more natural light.

The breakfast was really excellent (and included). The cappuccino and espresso were surprisingly good, as were the banana pancakes. The menu was extensive, and included American and Thai classics. We enjoyed it so much, we usually skipped lunch.

The pool area was very nice. At the most, there were two other couples, and the towels and chairs were kept neat and fresh. The greenery and atmosphere made use forget we were inside a busy city. The staff was attentive and unobtrusive.

I learned about this hotel from reading a New York Times article from a few years ago. It was hard for me to figure out the location and layout of the hotel online, and from Google maps, I was misled into thinking it was a few miles in the country, so I emailed the hotel. My email was returned very quickly, letting me know the hotel is within the city walls, close to the western wall, and within walking distance of several major sites in Chiang Mai. (We walked everywhere, including to a restaurant on the river, outside the eastern city wall). I think I got a better rate by booking with the hotel via email rather than using expedia.com.

Weak points: The wifi was a bit flakey, the mojitos we ordered to the pool were not the best, and it was unfortunate the hotel provided shampoo but not conditioner (since I packed two shampoos by mistake). I’m really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find some faults. The Rachamankha is one of the best hotel resorts I’ve ever set foot in.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 28 March 2010

I heard many good comments about this world-acclaimed best kept secret. Finally I stayed at Rachamankha for one day this March. That's one of the best hotel experience I ever had.

It's not something over-luxurious, but a comfortable, cozy and stylish retreat. You could easily find yourself getting touch with its unique ambiance. Like having a conversation, the charming Rachamankha's so connected to guests the moment I walked and checked in. Even I was alone, I enjoyed every no-pressure-minute here.

I love the fusion architecture design mixed with Lanna+Chinese style. Adore the swimming pool, thought it's so classic in temperament. The guest room provides an easy,elegant sense of artistry. The staff & general manager, Paul, are professional and always willing to help.

You can have a fantastic a la carte breakfast served with world-famous Jingdezhen porcelains in the morning. Spend hours in The Library with a huge collection of precious books. Do not forget an unforgettable moment in the swimming pool. Perhaps take a tuk tuk to the local famous Huen Phen Thai restaurant for dinner. Then have a walk in Old City Wall area and check the night market street.

It's kind of experience few hotels could offer and Rachamankha leaves me a "I wish I could stay longer" feeling. Highly recommend.

Thanks everyone at Rachamankha for such a gorgeous stay!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank jordychen
Reviewed 13 March 2010

An authentic Lanna Thai architectural genious set within the old city. Quiet, large spacious rooms, very comfy beds, fantastic pool accompanied with a massage pavillion elevated and overlooking the pool. A separate library is set adjacent to the pool with complimentary brandy, wonderful collection of books, and internet if you don't have you own laptop. Hotel provides wi fi for guest convenience. Architect is part owner and won awards. Owner has decorated with own artistic collection in furnishings, art and history. Staff wonderful. GM (Paul Walker) has created a fantastic property. If you like gems and semi prescious stones, Paul can give you an excellent overview of how it all works and where to go;) if you appreciate quality, architecture, boutique style hotels, this is a must visit in my opinion. Thank you Paul and staff!

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Bvhogen
Zoetermeer
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We stayed at the Rachamankha for my brothers wedding, which was held at this wonderful hotel. The wedding could not have been held at a better place then the Rachamankha. Our stay at this hotel was absolutely amazing. The staff and the management where very kind, helpfull and friendly. We met the hotel manager during our stay, Mr. Paul Walker and the owner/ designer Mr. Rooj Changtrakul. Two amazing people! The Rachamankha has a beautiful pool where one can relax and also enjoy a great thai massage overlooking the pool. A very nice breakfast is served in a beautiful outside area of the restaurant, where again the staff is waiting to provide you with their best service. The rooms are spacious, romantic and the design is very exquisit. We enjoyed our stay very much and would absolutley recommend this hotel for anyones stay in Chiang Mai. We will definitely be back at this hotel on our next stay in Chiang Mai. Thanks again to everybody whom made our stay so unforgettable!!

Martijn and Eva van de Crommenacker

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank MartijnenEva
UK
Reviewed 27 February 2010

This is a lovely hotel to stay in Chiang Mai centre. It's like a little oasis in the city centre. Great location within the old part of the city and just a short tuk tuk or nice stroll down into the main part of town.
We loved the hotel's stylish design and layout. It's based on a monastery and feels very peaceful, beautifully laid out and just gorgeous to wander around. Lots of open sitting areas, art, sculptures, pool and fantastic library. Rooms a good size with that old dark wood, white wall look. We had a room upstairs which was flooded with natural light. People working there were all very friendly and attentive in a discreet and efficient way.
I like boutique style hotels with a distinctive design and character - this is one of those places that just feels right from the moment you arrive.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple