“Disappointing”

Lai-Thai Guest House
Ranked #304 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 29 March 2014

When I noticed that the receipt had "No Refund" stamped on it I realised in my heart that I'd made a mistake by paying for four nights straight away. One should test a place first.
It's noisy, my room was hot but the air conditioning did an adequate job, and I did not have a good night's sleep.
I was asked if I'd been here before, I answered "many times" but I had not stayed here before. I had a girlfriend who once worked at Lai Thai and so I was there many times.
The food was alright back then, but I'm not so sure now. I had muesli and yoghurt for breakfast the first morning and ate elsewhere the next. There are a lot of good breakfast options in Chiang Mai.
Last night I returned to find a bill on my bed for 20 Baht for water from the fridge. Every other place I have stayed here in Thailand has given you free water.
There are a lot of much better accommodation options.
I left there the second morning, accepted that there will be no refund. I left quietly, never to recommend or return.
I went to the Riverside House where I pay less for a nicer room and with breakfast included.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael P

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed for one night and found the bed the most comfortable of any place we'd stayed in Thailand. Drinks in the minibar fridge (not so mini) were fairly priced rather than overpriced. The pool looked nice, but we didn't have time to go in, because the guest house is located right outside the old city near the night bazaar, and an easy walk to everything else.

This guest house is a little run down, lovely on the outside and with cool woven wall decor on the inside. If you want super-polished, this is not for you, but it was good enough for us!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank GB7264
Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

I just recently stayed here for 7 days. Upon arrival, I was excited, because the front of the hotel looks amazing. However, pretty quickly I learned that looks can be deceiving.

I booked my room through agoda. I'm 6'7". The room they put me in was very small. The bed wasn't too bad but it had a headboard. When I asked them to switch me to another room with a different bed, they told me I would have to sleep there one night and they would have a different room for me the next night. My room was near the pool. The noise was so loud. The windows are only slats and don't close all the way. You could hear everything from people to traffic. I had ear plugs in but it was still loud. The noise inside the building is just as bad. I was on the first floor and could hear people walking above me.

The next morning they gave me room #436. It had a small deck leading off the back. The bed was a double. It was really soft, but the mattress was old and looked dirty. The sheets were always clean. The room was bigger. The air worked fine (also had a ceiling fan above the bed), but it would turn off when you pulled the key out. You have to charge electronics at the front desk if you have more than one to charge at a time. The restaurant is overpriced and one server is really really rude. They served me terrible eggs that first morning. They gave me attitude when I complained. They act as if we should just take whatever they give us. I asked about laundry service and they wanted to charge me by the piece. It's usually standard that you pay per kilo. Their trips are well organized. Many foreigners stayed here while I was there. The bathrooms are terrible. I can't say they clean the room because it looks the same. The mirrors are rigged to swivel, but if your tall then you have to put something behind it to keep it pointing up. They often forget to replenish soap, towels, or toilet paper. They make you pay for water (20 baht per bottle--you can get a bottle 2 times that size for 14 at 7/11) and a lock box to store valuables (140 baht for 7 days). I turned on the faucet and the sink filled up with black water. I asked them about it but they seemed indifferent. The shower has mold and scum growing in it. They say that they will charge you for stains on sheets or towels. This might be because there are man lady boys that hang out looking for tricks near the building.

I must caution you about the pool. I think that they put way too many chemicals in it and I almost fell getting into it. There are no handrails. The tiles near the edge slope down and are really slippery when wet. You wouldn't know this until it's too late. So many other people also fell.

The location is not bad. I would not ever stay here again. This is a 3 star hotel, but could stand to change some things in order to keep that status.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The service was generally indifferent, almost rude. Room was not prepared - garbage was not emptied. The room seemed dank and run-down. There were odd signs enumerating the penalties of staining the sheets, mosquitos in the room. The location is fair - not far from the old city, not far from some of the tourist bars just outside the old city. With so many good options, Lai-Thai is not recommended.

Room Tip: Pool is noisy in the evening.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brendan H
Reviewed 13 February 2014

First of all the price. For the same amount (or a little bit cheaper) you can get a three times bigger room in a real hotel like the FX Penisula or Panerai with real bathroom and A/C. For the half price (400-500thb/night) you can get the same style simple room inside the old city's wall in any guesthouses, maybe without swimming pool but still better offers!.

So when I arrived to Chiang Mai it was almost midnight and I was too tired to looking after accommodation so I just asked the taxi driver to bring me somewhere inside the city center around 1,000thb/night. Actually Lai-Thai is located outside the old city so it is not really the centre but close to it. So he brought me there and now I know that most of the drivers will do the same simply because they can get good commission here. This is a fact which is based on my questions the next day when every taxi, songthaew (red car) and tuktuk drivers were recommended the Lai-Thai...interesting isn't it?

The price was 890thb and however it is not expensive for a hotel with swimming pool I decided to move on after the second night.

My biggest problem was the noise. The pretty nice looking wooden floor brings the noise of steps all around the house directly to your ears from around 05:00 in the morning so it was absolutely impossible to sleep well because of this. And than the loudly speaking cleaning staff who they start also early...terrible.

The room was very simple but ok, and the swimming pool was clean but the noise is something what I could not respect sorry.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The price was really reasonable at 890 baht (less than $30 USA), but it wasn't very clean. Meals were good. Sheets were very clean. Okay for young travelers trying to save a few bucks, but not for me. I tried to change my hotel, but everything around there was booked up for the Chinese New Year.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor, so you don't hear the people above you walking across their wooden floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights and aside from the decor that could perhaps benefit from a little updating it was all good. The restaurant food was decent and the wait staff efficient. It is a super convenient location, easy to get into the walled city, to restaurants and the night market too. Good value.

Stayed: January 2557