“We Found Our Shambhala”

Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Ranked #9 of 402 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Chedi's hospitality began with their chauffeured Mercedes collection at Chiang Mai's airport. Sam their chauffeur kindly enquires of our flight is laden with cool drink and cool towel. Ahhh, we chorus - we've arrived! A short, smoothe ride and we are at the Chedi. Behind an understated entrance hides a Feng Shui heartland of tranquilty and peace. Easy on the eye with it's perfect placement immediately induces letting go and embracing the moment. The Australian architect had to have fullfilled his brief!?
It's our second stay here, and it won't be our last. As was last year we stayed 'Club'. We believe it is the only way to enjoy the Chedi.
Guest rooms are spacious and airy with excellent amenities. Room maids spin their magic while we are away and re-stock fresh fruit, tea, nuts, and the fully stocked bar, together with fresh towels and linen. Toiletries including lovely bath salts.
Wi-Fi a bit slow (best time early in the am), but it seems how it is in Thailand.
Breakfast in the club lounge has plenty of fresh tropical fruit, juices, cereals, yoghurt, cheese, cold meat, a small menu of individually cooked eggs which were always perfect. (I couldn't go past eggs florentine), high quality smoked salmon on the side. In the main alll staff made great coffee to individual's requirements (and remembered your preferance). French champagne at breakfast, also available. (a bit decadent, but we indulged!!!).
Magic time is their 6 - 8 pm cocktails and canapes, where the seven club staff gracefully tend you. Accompanied by candles and soft music we are transported into an intimate space of chit chat. The club staff have a refinement reminiscent of Japan's Geishas, and we felt very safe and comfortable in their presence.
The ambient pool is situated in q quiet private area, overlooking the Ping river and close to the hotel's shrine built as protection to the guests, staff and the environs. In the early morning staff place offerings in a state of reverence. We quietly observe while using the pool.
Chiang Mai's night markets are an easy three minute walk up the road, where there is excellent art galleries nearby. The Chedi will helps with elephant and tiger excursions which will fill your cup as well. Without hesitation we recommend the Chedi Chiang Mai to you.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank robynne s
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

Dear robynne s,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback here on tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to thank you very much for returning to The Chedi and I am glad to see that you have found The Chedi to be as enjoyable as you did on your previous visit, which set the benchmark for you to return.

I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of assistance with any of the arrangements.

Stefan Noll

Write a ReviewReviews (2,558)

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I had spent 3 nights in Club room of The Chedi, Chiengmai which is located in Chiengmai downtown. The hotel is located along the Ping river and the breakfast room has situated along a beautiful river view where we had a very delicious breakfast there. Club room is very spacious, they also provide Gin, Vodga in counter bar as complimentary. Overall atmosphere is similar to modern Japanese hotel. In conclusion, this hotel is very good if you want to stay in downtown, very convenience location, peaceful, exceed my expectation. Only a few things I dislike this hotel eg loud noise from motorcycle on the road, although the hotel has double doors for guest rooms(but not disturb much, only some vehicles with loud noise than normal will disturb you sometimes). And, due to the building shape of the hotel is L shape with the clear glass balcony which you will feel no privacy relaxing outside the room.

Room Tip: Choose the room facing the Ping river
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear JKVBangkok,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback here on tripadvisor.

I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated our Club benefits, such as free return airport transfer, complimentary minibar, complimentary laundry (7pieces per day) and free evening cocktails and canapes at the club lounge.

I regret that you felt not to have enough privacy, please allow me to suggest to chose one of our River Suites next time you wish to stay with us as their balconies cannot be looked into by any other room, furthermore they offer a direct view on the River Ping and a more exclusive minibar selection.

Once again many thanks for staying with us and for sharing your feedback.

Reviewed 15 May 2012

The Chedi was a really nice hotel, clean rooms and friendly staff. Breakfast didn't have a lot of options but the french toast was great and the view of the river was really calming. Our room didn't have a dvd player which was stated in one of the brochures. When I called reception they said they were only available in the deluxe rooms. There weren't many channels on the tv and it rained for our entire trip so we weren't able to do much and had to watch movies on our laptop. The staff were really nice and if ever we asked for something they got it to us quite quickly. When we ordered room service they saw we had eaten all of our fruit and continually topped it up for us. Nice and close to the markets and many other really nice restaurant's.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
CCMGM, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear EDC83_12,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor.

I am glad to know that you have overall enjoyed your stay with us.

I regret that you have not been shown that the BOSE sound system is a combined DVD player, which is connected to the television, furthermore all Suites have an ipod/iphone docking station which allows you to play your music, as well as watch any films you have stored on your ipod/iphone. My apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Our french toast at breakfast is often mentioned by our guests, there are even residents in Chiang Mai, who come to join our breakfast only for the french toast.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Chedi for 4 nights. We loved it there. The cool zen look was a great respite from the bustle of Chiang Mai. The staff was amazing. They always greeted us and were super helpful. I felt they were always looking for a way to enhance our stay. We were upgraded to a large suite and it was gorgeous. I liked the location. You could walk into the central city easily or hire a cab for $3 to take you anywhere. It was nice though to be a little bit removed and along the river. The location made it feel like a complete getaway.
We visited the spa twice. Once had the Thai massage and the next time the Chedi ( 2 therapist/ 4 hands) wow is all I can say. The spa itself is gorgeous and the therapist excellent. Both times my husband and I were placed in the double room and they gave us our treatments at the same time.
Fabulous and amazing! A must do!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dora F

Dear Dora F,

I appreciate your kind comments on the hotel's design. Kerry Hill, an Australian architect with an office in Singapore, was appointed for this project. He is well known and much respected for his designs.

Like yourself many of our guests enjoyed The Chedi Jade massage the most. The combination of techniques and the synchronised movements of the two therapists are ideal to relax.

Once again many thanks for your kind comments and I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Chedi in Chiang Mai for one night on April 19, 2012, and again for two nights, April 21-23, 2012. (In between, we stayed overnight at the Elephant Nature Park, outside of Chiang Mai, and left some of our luggage behind while we were gone.)

We loved The Chedi. The service was impeccable, with special acknowledgement to Oily and Kevin in the Club lounge. The Club guest rooms are large, well appointed, spotless, and very comfortable. It was very hot outside during the day (38C or so), but we were very comfortable indoors in our room, the exercise room, and the Club lounge for Happy Hour and breakfast, as well as outside by the river for dinner.

In the guest room, there was a complimentary mini-bar, great Jura coffee maker, free Wi-Fi, and seven pieces per day of complimentary laundry.

Stefan, the manager, made a point of introducing himself to us and was very nice.

My wife was thrilled with the four-handed massage that she had twice (there being a two for one special at the time.) She also enjoyed a yoga class, although there was a small extra charge for that. The treadmills were perfect and I was provided with headphones for use with them..

We highly recommend The Chedi Chiang Mai

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimAndDenise51

Dear JimAndDenise51,

Your very kind comments on our Club Lounge team members are very much appreciated.
I am glad to know that your wife enjoyed our signature treatment The Chedi Jade massage, which is a real favorite at our SPA.

Once agin many thanks for staying with us and I do hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

We spent 3 nights at a Club Suite in early May and were completely happy with our stay! It is very recommendable to get a Club Suite, not just for its size (double of standard room) but also for the added benefits.

The hotel is a few minutes drive from the Old City but you wont have a problem to get there by taking tuk tuk or taxi. Very cheap fare so no worries.

The lobby was simple and stylish, with a very quiet and beautiful view of the historical building which is the restaurant. (See pix) Front desk staff are very friendly and helpful, speaking very good english.

The Club Suite was very spacious as it promises, with a big balcony, a double day bed, king-size bed, small pantry, luggage corner and a decent bathroom with tub. The minibar is complimentary, along with all the liquors provided in room. We also got a complimentary bottle of Champaigne. The only complaint might be the mosquitoes - there were way too many of them. The hotel did try its very best to tackle that by installing lemongrass essential oil and electrical repellent in the room,but it's simply too many of them. So you might want to protect yourself with spray repellent even in the room.

Breakfast was nice done, with all hot dishes made to order at your wish. We found local dishes prepared particularly well - do try their stir fry noodle with seafood. Muesli, french toast, pan cakes and egg benedicts are all delicious and nicely presented. (See pix)

The swimming pool was not a big one and yet very nice and beautiful. The Spa at Chedi was a very good value of money in my opinion!! My husband and I got a double room for an oil massage for 90 min at THB4500 which was such a bargain for a place like this. We are perfectly happy with the service. Of course, if you just need simple foot massage or Thai massage, you can find a lot of local massage house offering them with just a fraction of the price.

If anyone care to know, I would recommend the Lila Thai Massage Centre at ratchadamnoen road of Old City, THB180/hr. Unbelievably good skill and service, clean and decent setting, unbelievably cheap price!

Also recommend a very nice local tea house called Raming Teahouse, which is 5 min drive from Chedi Hotel. The place was very nicely appointed in a truly relax setting. It offers simple local dishes like Tom Yum Kung and Thai Curry on top of sandwiches and burgers. Tea, cakes and juices were all of good quality. The price was SO CHEAP that we couldn't believe it the first time we were there.

The Night Market and Night Bazzard were both within walking distance from the hotel. Unlike those in Bangkok and phuket, the night markets here look more in order and clean. Try your luck bargaining!!

All in all, we love the hotel and would certainly come back!!

Room Tip: Get a Club Suite!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear kosmhongkong,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor.

It is a great pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and your kind comments are much appreciated.

I regret that you have been inconvenienced by the mosquitoes. We have measures in place with our pest control team and as you mentioned provide guests with mosquito repellent. Your stay coincided with a time when they are most evident, but we will be well over it by the end of the month.

I am happy to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your SPA treatments and that you considered them good value for money. Obviously there are a number of much lower priced massage places around in town, which we do not compete with. We use the most high quality oils for our treatments and all of our therapists are trained and certified SPA therapists, both ensures the quality we are aiming to achieve.

Once again many thanks for staying with us and I hope we may welcome you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

We have just returned from an 8 night stay in the Chedi at Chaing Mai and it is quite simply one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. We booked on the basis of previous Trip Advisor reviews and the hotel certainly met if not exceeded our expectations. On arrival we upgraded to a Club Suite (room 406 was a delight) and were not disappointed, the room offered a lovely coffee machine, free daily laundry service and a free minibar re- stocked daily. In the evening we enjoyed free canapés and cocktails in the club room which was a delight. The staff are so attentive and hugely welcoming and they made our stay very special. A special mention must go to Kwan in the Club room who was a delight. The quality of the food in the restaurant was stunning as was the service, yes it is more expensive than other places in town but you get what you pay for! Stefan the hotel manager also deserves a special mention, he was visible to guests and made sure our stay was memorable. We have also stayed in the Chedi in Oman and this one knocks the socks off that hotel. We are fortunate to have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and this one is probably the best we have been too. It is rare fIor us to find somewhere where we want to return again. We will definitely be back, thank you to all at the Chedi for a wonderful time. We have absolutely nothing negative to add, the hotel is faultless.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cantium

Dear Cantium,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on tripadvisor.

We are all delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

I do hope that we may indeed welcome you again to The Chedi Chiang Mai. Perhaps visit us during the Loy Krathong period this year at the end of November. This is one of Thailand's most beautiful festivals. Chiang Mai is a magnet for Thai's around the country during that time. Watching thousands of lanterns in the sky is a once in a lifetime experience.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and best regards