“High quality, good facility”

Anantara Chiang Mai Resort
Ranked #10 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“High quality, good facility”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night and moved to Rarinlanna because Anatara had no more rooms. Comparing with Rarinlanna, here is the paradise. The gym is very new, staff are very helpful and the tea is very nice. I love their breakfast place, very contemporary with modern design. I will definitely stay here if I come to Chiang Mai again.

• Stayed December 2013
NickChiangMai, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear AntChan,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent experiences here in Chaing Mai. I am delighted to see that you found Anantara Chiang Mai up there with the best that the town has to offer.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in future.

ndowning@anantara.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We mentioned to the hotel that our baby is travelling with us. We were delightedly surprised by the service offered by the staff. A bathtub for baby and spare milk bottles (though we didn't use any) were placed in the room. Staff are professional and helpful. It's a real pity that as this hotel is fully booked, we can only stay for 1 night at their suite. The suite is huge and we enjoyed how the sunlight can get into the room with large glass doors. The facilities (esp gym) in this hotel are amazing. We also tried the afternoon tea which we found impressive compared to the tea set in another cafe and hotel in chiang mai. The only downside of this hotel is the room is a bit dim in the evening. Overall, we highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed December 2013
Dear Regqueen.

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your recent experience at Anantara Chiang Mai.

While we definitely tend to cater more for couples wishing to explore Chiang Mai from this beautiful riverside location centrally located in the middle of Chiang Mai, I am not surprised to know that our team was able to make your family comfortable during your stay with us.

I am also happy to hear that you experienced and loved our signature afternoon tea on the verandah of the Colonial House. It's certainly an experience many people (both inside and outside of the hotel) choose to reserve days in advance to ensure they manage to savour this experience.

Thank you again for sharing your comments here and we certainly hope to welcome you back in the future.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed two nights at the Anantara Chiang Mai (formerly known as the Chedi Chiang Mai). The hotel is a tranquil oasis in the Mae Ping riverfront area in downtown Chiang Mai, just a few minutes walk from the night market. Enjoyed a very spacious and beautifully appointed Kasara Suite, though the room was dark and dimly lit. The bed was comfortable, though, and there were numerous well-conceived lounging areas throughout the suite. The balcony was serene, but the river view was obscured by trees, and we were eventually put off by lingering cigarette odors. Hotel grounds are beautiful, especially at night. Enjoyed both the breakfast buffet and a wonderful riverfront dinner at the elegantly decorated main restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
NickChiangMai, General Manager at Anantara Chiang Mai Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear myangsf,

Thank you for your recent comments and pcitures about your experience with us here in Chiang Mai.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay overall. We are indeed lucky to be on the banks of the Ping River and to still have that serene and peaceful feeling even though we are minutes from the action of the markets and downtown. I do hope that the beautiful landscape within the resort assisted with that feeling and didnt distract too much from the view from your room.

I do wish you a wonderful Festive Season and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

During my honeymoon we stayed here for 4 nights during our trip to Thailand. One word: SERENE. The ambiance, the service, the food: all perfect. It was so relaxing and wonderful to be on the hotel premises including the open lobby, the hotel restaurant and the pool. The service was spectacular and everyone was extremely helpful and accommodating. The hotel was in a great location to walk to the night bazaar in addition to other local restaurants. We 100% recommend this hotel for future visors!

Dear AllisonEisenEshet,

Thank you for sharing your amazing review of your recent honeymoon experience with us.

I must admit that the resort is a favourite with honeymoon couples looking to enjoy their special Thailand escape in serene surroundings, but still close enough to enjoy everything that Chiang Mai has to offer.

I am delighted to know that you had such wonderful impressions of your special stay with us.

On behalf of the team here at Anantara Chiang Mai, I wish you many years of happiness together and we hope to welcome you back in the future...an anniversary trip perhaps?!

In the meantime, I wish you both a joyous Festive Season and incredible 2014 ahead.

Warmest wishes
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just coming to the end of an eight day stay (heading of to Krabi on Christmas Eve) and am so sad to be leaving Chang Mai which is my most favourite place in Thailand and this hotel is one of my most favourite hotels ever. We last stayed here in 2006, admittedly the soft furnishings are now a little bit worn but overall the hotel is just as beautiful as it was seven years ago. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Both this time and last time we paid extra for a suite and quite frankly they are definitely worth the extra cash. The view across the grounds of the hotel to the river and beyond are very relaxing. The riverside restaurant is also great both as a place to sit and enjoy the view and decor and in terms of the actual food. The pool is beautiful and very good for laps. The lobby is very photogenic and also a great place to simply hang out.

My only criticism of the hotel are the room beds, the mattress at least in our room is bit soft and the pillows are a bit hard .

Room Tip: Pay extra for a suite and always eat breakfast in the restaurant.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear BayswaterMum,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent experience at Anantara Chiang Mai.

It does not surprise me that you, like so many others, returned to experience the resort once again. I must admit that I too, used to choose to stay here as a guest over the years and fell in love with the people, the surroundings and the atmosphere. There is something stragely addictive about the riverside setting which allows guests to explore Chiang Mai easily.

I would also agree that our Kasara Suites offer the best the hotel has to offer with a beautiful open plan space with gorgeous balcony which is the perfect place to relax and recharge, not to mention all the additional benefits we include such as access to the Kasara Lounge overlooking the beautiful grounds of the hotel.

It seems you also enjoyed our riverside terrace at The Restaurant along with many of our guests and local residents. It is a favourite experience to sit and watch the river traffic float by leisurely while enjoying our signature afternoon tea or an evening meal experiencing everything from indigenous Northern Thai cuisine specialities to our unique authentic Indian cuisine, for which the hotel is known for since many years already.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we certainly hope to welcome you back soon.

In the meantime, we wish you a wonderous Festive Season and a happy and prosperous 2014.

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

This was our first experience of Chiang Mai. We had a fabulous time staying for three nights at the Anantara hotel. Our room was large with a bath in the middle of the floor which could be closed off from the bedroom area. There was a huge rain shower which was gorgeous. All the toiletries smelt wonderful and were presented in heavy ceramic pots. The breakfast was absolutely amazing and served while we sat overlooking the river. Both myself and my husband felt we received a superb service whilst staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies with day beds. You may wish to request a room according to the position of...
Dear Sarah B,

Thank you for sharing your surperb thoughts about your recent stay with us at Anantara Chiang Mai.

I am delighted to know you left with such positive impressions overall. Breakfast overlooking the Ping River is a special experience. I do hope you took the opportunity to experience made-to-order favourites such as our eggs benedict or pancakes with banana!

Thank you again for sharing such wonderful thoughts and we wish you a happy Festive Season and safe and prosperous 2014 ahead. And we hope to welcome you back soon!

Warm wishes,
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I had booked the Chiang Mai Chedi hotel early in 2013, for a December stay. About a month before my planned arrival at the hotel, I was notified that the Chedi group had lost its management contract at the hotel and that the new manager was the Anantara group (about which I knew nothing). Predictably, I was very troubled by the change, since the hotel -- under Chedi management -- had received glowing reviews.

IStill, I kept my plans and am glad that I did. The hotel remains a "wow." I have no way of knowing if Anantara has changed anything or simply kept everything in place, But whatever it is, the hotel is a winner.

As other reviews correctly have noted, its location is terrific. It is near the center of town -- though removed enough by its spacious grounds and riverbank location to be away from the bustle of Chiang Mai. Thus it is a true resort and, at the same time, is convenient for walking (or taking a tuk-tuk) just about anywhere.

The grounds are lush and tranquil. There is a sense of zen everywhere. The restaurant is truly of international standards, offering creatively prepared and very tasty Thai, Indian and some western food. Service is great. Breakfast buffets are bountiful.

My room -- a suite -- was huge, with a terrace, sitting area, rain shower, bathtub, double vanity/sink -- and so forth. All the standards of 5-star travel. The suite gave me access to the lounge, whose attentive and competent staff could handle every request and solve every problem. In a sense, the suite/lounge arrangement created a hotel-within-a-hotel. Other reviews have complained about the lounge's "meager" food offerings in the early evening. Yes, they are meager, but very tasty -- accompanied by unlimited beverages, including wines and liquor. But this is not a businessmen's hotel, whose lounge's evening snacks often is a substitute for dinner. The Anantara lounge snacks are just that -- a tasty prelude to dinner.

The suite also offered some unusual perks -- such as free laundry (up to 7 pieces daily), a free mini-bar.

Of course, this is not a back-packers hotel. Prices, by Chiang Mai levels, are high (though low by levels of 5-star hotels in world metropolitan locations). But I felt I was receiving great value for my money. The Anantara Chiang Mai is almost reason alone for me to return to Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: Splurge for a suite.
Dear ChuckNYC,

Thank you for sharing your WOW review of your recent experience with us.

Needless to say I am delighted to know that Anantara Chiang Mai left such a wonderful impression on you, especially in light of the recent management change here at the resort. It is a great vote of confidence in the team here that guests such as yourselves continue to be impressed by the property and the team.

We do hope that you have a wonderful Festive Season and hope that we have the chance to welcome you back in 2014.

Until then, thank you again and warmest wishes from us all.