“Average”

Ranked #108 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Torquay, England, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed for four nights in early July, after a previous four nights in Bangkok. Much preferred the Bangkok hotel (Bel Aire Princess), however there were some advantages such as a warm shower (in Bangkok only had cold water for some reason!) and the tv showed Fox Movies in English, so we constantly had films on in the background.. And they were showing good new ones as well! On the other hand the rooms and as soon as you step out of the lift it smelt of smoke! I think we were on floor 4 and the day after we noticed a cigarette ash tray vase thing by the lift. We are non smokers so this was very annoying. Also our room was right by the pool so we felt like we couldn't open our curtains as it was awkward. A few stains up the wall and the sheets although changed daily. Old style key instead of key card. No free wifi - we paid around £13 for 12 hours and had around 3 hours left over at the end. It can only be used on one device at a time so you and your partner can't go on at the same time. We paid breakfast but didn't really like it - I only had watermelon, but I am quite fussy. They did have toast and occasionally bacon as well. Also had dinner one night and didn't like it.. We ate at the Teak House Restaurant 5 mins walk away twice during our stay. Overall the staff are very friendly and it's in a good location, but I think I would look for a nicer hotel if we went to Chiang Mai again.

1 Thank Chloé M
Centara D, General Manager at Duangtawan Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your constructive feed back with suggestions as
To how we can improve our products and services

All of the points you were confronted with have been shared with the
Appropriate Department Heads and please be informed that a renovation of
Many rooms and facilities were started last year and are scheduled to continue
This year - similarly we have begun an immediate and full inspection of all
In room facilities as well as the corridor area to ensure your own experience
Is not repeated for any other guests

Your comment regarding the charge of internet and key system is well noted
And we are presently reviewing our current policies to gauge how to manage
Those services

Our Executive Chef has recently reviewed and changed many of the menu items
Including the breakfast and dinner, the overall ambience and presentation of the
All buffet items along with all other menus which we are now in the process of
Implementing

We trust in the future you will decide to stay with us again so as we can show
You the improvements made within the hotel of many products and services

K Boonchai – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kiryat Tivon, Israel
Reviewed 20 July 2013

As a family of 3 we've stayed 4 nights during July 2013 in this hotel.
Location is really great, right in the night bazaar and a 5 min walking distance from the old city with all it's temples. The hotel is equipped with a really nice exercise room and swimming pool and the service there is impeccable. However, Wifi service is slow and very expensive! When paying so much for an hotel, I expect free WiFi in my room or at least in the lobby.
The breakfast service that is included is very rich and we liked it. We've also used the restaurant in the piano bar and ordered some "Italian" food. It was the worst pizza I've ever had. Definitly a microwave one which wasnt even prepared correctly. We've had some good pizzas in Thailand, so I guess this only the case in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

With regards to the charging of internet services throughout the Hotel, we
Are presently reviewing our current policy in line with a number of other
Guest commentary received that matches your own sentiments - In the same
Vein, your comment on the slow WI-FI signal has been discussed and we have
Found that some of the service areas are unstable – our technical team will
Inspect all spaces of the hotel and work with our internet provider to improve
This service

Similarly, our Food and Beverage Team are receiving additional training to assist
Them in delivering higher standards of food and Beverage – in particular the pizza
Product and we trust that in the future you will again stay with us and allow us to
Show you the improvements made.

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Recently celebrated my 60th birthday in Chiang Mai. The price to use the internet was disgusting, mostly places have free wifi these days, I did buy a prepaid voucher but it was difficult to log on to. The rooms were dated, the plumbing leaked both from the toilet and bathroom basin. Yes, and I had to pay for Ice also, having travelled 5 times to Asian countries in the past four years, I have never paid for ice previously, some hotels provide free ice machines. The windows were filthy. The air conditioning was inadequate and noisy. There was a step into the bathroom which was broken away and dangerous. The place is very central and the staff were pleasant enough but I would look elsewhere next time. We travelled in a group of 5 people occupying 3 rooms and we all felt the same. The hair dryer was broken in one room and glowing which meant there was some electrical problem and no bacon for breakfast.

Stayed July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback which allows us the
Opportunity to listen to our guests and improve any areas highlighted as
Not reached or exceeded expectations

We have asked our Housekeeping Manager to re- train all of the housekeeping
Staff to check that all guest room amenities are of a high quality and that rooms
Are always clean – while we acknowledge that our hotel hardware can be
Improved, Please be informed that renovation of many rooms and facilities
Started last year will continue until they are all completed

With regards to the charging of internet services throughout the Hotel, we are
Presently reviewing our current policy in line with a number of other guest
Commentary received that matches your own sentiments - In the same vein, our
Internet provider has been tasked with immediately reviewing the internet signal
And it will be fixed straight away.

The Restaurant Managers have been tasked with setting remedial training for all
Service staff to make sure that all food items are regularly checked and refilled in
The peak periods of service

We are extremely sorry that you experienced a stay that was clearly very negative
And concerning and I am personally following up on your review to receive succinct
Answers and solutions with our entire team

Travellers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I am really disappointed abut Centara Hotel in Chiang Mai. Let start with the fee for the Internet: it is too expensive! Look attachment and the prices… Hotel does not give you any possibility to access Internet for free. Internet didn’t work in my room. Staff in the reception suggested me to use it in the lobby. Nobody repair router on my floor. Disappointing and unpleasant.

Can you believe that they charge you for bucket of ice cubes? Usually it is for free! In my opinion such treating is inappropriate.

Design of rooms is out of date.

1 Thank TomekGa
Hallidays Point, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

From our very early arrival, documented and booked well in advance nominating our expected arrival time, hotel staff were kind and friendly but they could not see past our tire eyes knowing we had been up half the night flying and just wanted to sleep for an hour or two. Instead Reception just said our room will not be ready until after 12 noon, that meant we had to fill in 5 hours. (Not happy) So off we went into the streets of Chiang Mai to wind down the clock. On our return we were booked in and showed our room. The carpet was stained and appeared old in the hallway, the carpet was stained in the room and had a musky damp smell upon opening the door. We soon found out why. The air conditioning after being on for a short time started to drip water from an obvious blocked drain hose. We called reception and the duty maintenance man turned up within a very short time armed with a ladder, a bucket and a ac blower. He was in the room for only a minute or so and said, "All fixed" then left. My first thoughts were wow how good is this guy but that soon changed to he knows what tools to bring to the room because I presume this is a daily, if not half daily duty and that confirmed the musky damp smell. On closer inspection there was evidence of this somewhat failing AC unit with water stains on the air intake grill. Next we went to take a shower and soon found out there were no bath towels in the room, so we called reception and moments later they were delivered. Great but to have to call reception each day was a joke and not what one would expect. You would think after not replacing our towels for the second time they would try a little harder to please, unfortunately not and we were not impressed as the third time we were waiting for some time dripping. Okay its 30 deg you might say, what's the big deal. I'm just telling it how it was. We didn't try to complain as we were told on our arrival that the hotel was full, so to get another room I think was out of the question. Now its the middle of the day and from our 10th floor window the pool looks very inviting, so off we go. Pool staff were kind and friendly and assisted with pool towels. Then its outside and into the water to cool off. After putting my head under the water for the first time knowing this would also be my last as the amount of fine garbage that was floating just below the surface made me think immediately, "How long has it been since the pool was cleaned?" (Many Photo's to support this claim) Visibility was down to only a few metres but from the room window it appeared clear, somewhat an illusion. Breakfast each morning was good and I have to give credit where it is warranted. Location of the hotel is also good and reasonably central. We hired a moped and free parking was nice too with the bike hire directly opposite the main entrance. I do not normally complain about things but with the combination of everything I thought it was only fair to give an honest review. If this hotel was to bring things up to a higher standard then it should deserve a follow-up review from other travellers. When I travel all I want is a neat and tidy room and a clean pool, this hotel when I booked was rated 5 stars???? Sorry, I think not.

Room Tip: I cannot give further advise as this review reflects poorly on this hotel. Photo's of the AC, st...
3 Thank Robert W
Centara D, General Manager at Duangtawan Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Quite clearly our overall standard of service and product presentation
Was extremely negative when you stayed with us recently and we
Apologize most sincerely for the wrath of challenges you experienced
When you stayed with us

Check in time is 2 pm however if guests request an early arrival we will
Always try to do this – our staff clearly overlooked your request when
You first contacted us through our reservation system – regrettably on
The day you arrived the hotel was experiencing very high occupancy and
Thus we were unable to issue the room to you upon your arrival. Certainly
Then it was disappointing that when you eventually got to your room it was
Not properly prepared - again, my sincere apologies for this situation - I have
Spoken with the House Keeping Team to inform them of the importance of
Checking and then double checking that guest rooms are 100% in order before
Guests arrive. It is unforgivable that after such a long journey to arrive here
You were subjected to not one but two issues in your room. I totally concur
With your comments and will use your case as a training subject for all our staff
On the importance of maintaining the brand standards we set with regards to
Products and services at all times

We have also recently restarted the refurbishing of rooms so as the issues you
Experienced with the room quality can be erased as the refurbishment becomes
Complete. In the same vein our Fitness and Pool Manager will relate your comments
To all of his service team so as he may improve the cleanliness of the pool area
And throughout the hotel Fitness centre at all times

Our entire team is embarrassed to learn that your holiday in Thailand was
Perceived as an unpleasant experience and I can assure you that we will place
Immediate emphasis on the points you have raised so as we might prove to you
In the future that your comments have led to significant improvements in our
Overall presentation of products and services

The General Manager – K Boonchai
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Staff friendly enough. Room was clean enough. Disgusting smell in corridor - don't know what it was - smelled like heavy duty chemical of some sort - I would go so far as to say that I felt it smelt almost toxic. Carpet in corridor very stained even after steam cleaning that was taking place when we arrived. Maybe the cleaning chemical accounted for the smell. Unfortunately the smell permeated the room to some degree as well. Aircon struggled to do its job. Bathroom was clean but very tired and in desperate need of repair (shower lever handles kept falling off) and upgrading. Bed linen was clean - however the towels smelled of stale cigarette tobacco even though they appeared clean enough. Breakfast was just ok. Concierge staff very helpful and friendly. Internet was a complete rip-off. Don't know why they don't provide free wi- fi when you can walk outside to a cafe and get it easily. Apparently the hotel is being gradually renovated - pity we didn't get one of those rooms. Unfortunately i am sorry to say that going on this experience I would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pamela W
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your constructive feed back to let us know
How we can improve our services

Appropriate Department Heads, as you had already heard, a renovation
Of many rooms and facilities was started last year, and we are pleased
To inform you that the remainder of rooms not already completed are
Scheduled to be completed within this year – similarly we have begun
An immediate and full inspection of all hotel rooms to ensure your own
Experience is not repeated for any other guests

Your constructive comments regarding the charge of internet as well as
The breakfast service are well noted and we are presently reviewing our
Current policies to gauge how to manage these services more
Professionally

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experiences that
Marred your stay with us, we trust on a future occasion you would again
Stay with us and allow us to show you the improvements made – your
Comments and critique assist us to identify both negative and positive
Aspects of guests stays, Thank you

Yours sincerely

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here before great location but has not changed in five years. Staff still very friendly pool great, coolest place is in the lobby room very hot after to visits from hotel maintenance . And no free WI FI when it is every where in the streets.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank warb1278
Centara D, General Manager at Duangtawan Hotel Chiang Mai, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your constructive feed back with suggestions
As to how we might improve our products and services.

Appropriate Department Heads and please be informed that a renovation
Of many rooms and facilities was started last year and is scheduled to
Continue this year - similarly we have begun an immediate and full
Inspection of all in room air conditioning units to ensure your own
Experience is not repeated for any other guests.

Your constructive comment regarding the charge of internet is well noted
And we are presently reviewing our current policies to gauge how to manage
This service to meet all guest satisfaction

Sincerely