“Great location but......”

Ranked #108 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
los angeles
“Great location but......”
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I recently stayed at the Centara hotel in Chiang Mai and wanted to share my thoughts. I did extensive research on this hotel and chose it because it was very cheap and its location. I would say this is a 2.5 star hotel. I paid about $40 USD per night including breakfast and booked directly through the hotel because their rates were the most competitive. Here's a breakdown of the hotel:

Location:
Literally 1 min walk to the night bazaar. 7-11 across the street which was very convenient.

Staff:
Very nice and answered all our questions when we were booking the tours. They spoke good english and were very informative when helping us with tours.

Rooms:
Very old and dirty. I never really felt clean at this hotel-I wore slippers the whole time I was there. The towels were old, furniture was dated and the shower was so tiny. The bed was very hard and the pillows were horrible and gave us neck pain. The elevator was super slow and took forever to arrive. I must say I had a nice view though-ask for a room with mountain views. This was the worst part of the hotel!

Breakfast:
They had a very large selection. A lot of it was actually lunch dishes which seems to be common in Thailand. There was an omellete station, lots of different breads and pastries, tropical fruit, cereals, juices, coffee, pancakes etc. The breakfast was exactly the same everyday but it was very good and there was a lot to choose from.

Internet:
I think it's almost triple the price at the hotel. Go across the street and it's 1BHT/min. Or make a left out the entrance and next to the Siam coffee shop there's one that's even cheaper than that.

Massage:
There's Thai massages EVERYWHERE! Take advantage because it's super cheap here (even more so than the rest of Thailand) and amazing!

Night Bazaar:
Save all your Thailand Shopping for here. There's so much to choose from and it's never ending. You could get lost in there! Tip: our tour guide told us you need to bargain down 70% of whatever price they initially quote you. It's very true-they really inflate the prices.

Airport:
It's a 15 minute ride from the airport and costs 150BHT.

Tours:
We booked tours through the hotel. The Elephant Camp was a full day tour and was absolutely AMAZING! This was the best thing we did in our 2 weeks in Thailand-it's an absolute must. Our guide also took us to a tiger place after where we played with tigers for 15 min! This was also one of the best things we did. This was something the tour guide just threw in-it was on our way back to the hotel and so we stopped by. My husband also went to the snake show which he said was something he'd never seen. They basically hypnotize these snakes and he said it was unbelievable. I hate snakes so I just sat in the car. The Doi Suthep temple is something everyone says to go to. I didn't think this was a big deal especially after seeing the Grand Palace in Bangkok but I felt we had to do it b/c we were all the way there. If you don't have time for it-it's not the end of the world-not a big deal at all. We also did the Chiang Rai tour which was a 14 hour day. This was the most tiring day ever. I don't know if I would do this again. The only reason why I would is for the 20 minutes or so we spent at the Long neck tribe which was AMAZING!! So basically I spent a whole day in a van that took us to places that I didn;t care to see, just to see this tribe. If your tour guide offers to take you to see them on the way back from the elephant camp (apparently there's a long neck tribe on the way back) -DO IT!! We didn't and I wish we wouldv'e just gotten it over with. The Chiang Rai tour took 3.5 hours to get home on a windy road the whole time!! The whole time everyone in the car looked like they were going to vomit. If you can see them somehow without doing this tour PLEASE do it.

I don't know if I would stay here again. If you pay anything over $40USD than it's not worth it. I couldn't really find any other hotels for a little bit more that were any better. If you can, then go for it. The Le Meredian across the street is brand new and gorgeous! I think it's around $150/night. The only reason to stay here is that it's cheap and close to the night market.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bonamak20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We stayed here for 7 nights on a bed and breakfast basis on our way around the World, and felt it to be good value for the money, rooms were comfortable and clean, the Buffet breakfast was very good, and a nice selection too. We would definately stay here again. The only fault I found was that I had prior to my trip here emailed the Hotel in advance to book onto the Hotel Shuttle bus, and this was Confirmed that I would be collected from the Airport at a cost of 120 Baht, unfortunately the Hotel forgot to collect us. A friend of ours has recently had a large house built here in Chaing Mai, and went into the Hotel and has aired our complaint to the Management. They have apologised to him since profusely, despite him having recommended the Hotel to us in the first place.

2 Thank BALI2007BALI
Perth
Reviewed 10 March 2009

This hotel was a bit of a flash back to the late eighties as far as design goes, a refurbishment is long overdue. The check in was quick although the desk staff where not at all welcoming. There are only 4 lifts for several hundred rooms which meant lots of delays especially around breakfast time and I was only on the 6th floor.

The room was adequate and looked over the pool which seemed a bit odd. The bed was comforatable, the bathroom was incredibly small and awkward to get into the shower which sprayed through the gaps in the door onto the floor. I am average height and had to duck to get under the shower head which was half blocked and desperately needs replacement. The cleaning service cleans the room at about 10 and takes away the towels not replacing them until around 3 so if you want to have a shower after a morning of sight seeing you get a unexpected surprise when you go to dry off.

The included buffet breakfast was typical of any chain hotel the waiters where very friendly and provided a great service with a smile.

Normally I avoid the mini bar for its high prices but here the prices are only marginally higher than the local shops which was a nice touch.

The location is good, close to the night bazaar although a tad touristy. I extended my stay by 3 nights and opted to stay in a guesthouse near Thae Pae gate which was a much better experience. I am glad I found a online deal and only paid 1000BHT a night for this place it isn't worth a cent more.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank daveaus2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2009

This hotel is about a 8 minute walk to the centre of town and 10 mins to Taipei Gate, about 2 mins to night market, so a pretty busy tourist area. I got what seemed a very good rate - about $40 a night - so was a bargain! I'd have paid that for the fitness centre and breakfast alone quite happily!

Staff were helpful and polite, breakfast buffet had massive selection and though busy was plenty of good food - from danish pastries and fruit to Thai fried fish and noodles, even bacon, eggs and pancakes!

Clean, large rooms with big bathroom and good range of useful things in room - e.g. haidryer etc.
Conference centre means alot of business travellers so pool area fairly quiet, fitness centre excellent (probably best around - over 10 top quality treadmills, bkes, weights etc - the lot) and even had free aerobics and yoga. Far to hot for steam room and sauna whilst I was there but looked very nice. Expensive spa treatments but plenty to choose from close by.

Yes the lifts are slow, but I used the stairs most of the time (I'd suggest asking for a room on a single digit floor - I was on 9 and as the pool is on 4, restaurant on 2 it was just about ok to use stairs most of the time; it does have 24 floor though!)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank cityrunner
bury st edmunds
Reviewed 28 February 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights at the end of Jan and the Centara fitted our needs perfectly for our stay. It is in a superb location with the night market just a 1min walk away. The rooms were clean and very spacious with separate shower and bath. As other reviews state-Be careful with the step into the bathroom!
The breakfast buffet was great with a good variety to choose from.
The hotel was busy but never felt overcrowded. The lifts can be slow at busy times but certainly didnt affect our stay.
We visited the hotel Spa and both had a Body polish. The treatment was superb, the therapists thoroughly professional and at a price of 495baht, not to be missed!
Overall, a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chocolateandlobster
Morro Bay, CA
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Maybe the best location in Chiang Mai since the night market is an important city attraction. Hotel caters to business groups. A good value and very comfortable. Rooms were large and clean. Breakfast buffet was very good.

1 Thank malolos
boxmeer
Reviewed 23 February 2009

If you are happy with the location and the price, ok for you.
Friendly personel but badly managed.
Quality of food of Dynasty Club floor is poor.

2 Thank JanWdeVos