“Good service right in the middle of it all!”

Duangtawan Hotel Chiang Mai
Ranked #104 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Southampton
“Good service right in the middle of it all!”
Reviewed 28 April 2009

In January 2008 I stayed here for about 4 nights with my wife, mum & dad. We had no problems at all. The hotel is situated right in the middle of Chang Klan road where the famous Chang Mai Night Bazzar is. Despite being right in the middle it wasn’t too noisy. The hotel was very easy to find (I kind of new where it was anyway) and an easy check-in led us to our rooms.

The rooms where large with big windows and a nice view of the city and had a good size bathroom with shower, a safe and tea/coffee facilitys. The hotel felt safe and comfortable. The lifts were very slow though and as it’s a big hotle with lots of rooms, in the peek season (when we were there) we had to wait quite along time to get the lift so most times gave up and just walked the stairs!

The entrance lobby was really nice and also very lively. There were obviously a lot of tour groups staying in the hotel and always a lot of people walking in and out and the door men were opening the doors and smiling. My wife and I were sat in the lobby one morning and there was a big tour group of teenage kids with their adult leader that had just checked out and he was talking to them about the importance of sun cream. (very true) They must have been American or Canadian I think. It made us laugh because he was saying to them “if you go out into the sun today, and you don’t where your sun block, YOU WILL BURN!” He kept saying it to the kids as they really weren’t interested. He also tried to explain that you are NOT aloud to help yourself to the mini bar in the room after you have checked out already! Lol (they must of check out the night before)

We rented a car from the rental desk in the main lobby so we could drive to Mae Teang/Doi Inthanon and the surrounding areas. There were no problems here and we were taken to the car in the hotels car park at the back. The car was nice and served us well for a few days. On the last day before we took the car back we had to fill it up with petrol, just as we received it. My wife and I stopped at a nearby garage to fill up and after paying for the petrol and driving back to the hotel I realised that the tank was not full and not even half full! It then accrued to me that the petrol had cost next to nothing, so the girl from the rental desk come back to the petrol station with us to see what was going on. It turned out that they had run out of petrol and just didn’t tell us! (This Is Thailand) After we all laughed and returned the car without a hitch.

Another plus point was the breakfast buffet. The full selection as you would expect from a good hotel and they can make you an omelette or eggs cooked to your liking.
The only bad point I can really think of is that our room had an adjoining door to the next room and the people next door were smoking so our room smelt of fresh smoke! (it’s not good for someone who just gave up the filthy habit!!) I did complain to reception after asking if the rooms were non-smoking, but I really don’t know if they done anything or not. – A minor bad point really.

Overall a good experience and good service, we would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Jon_Mak_Mak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Our tour group spent three nights in this hotel. My room was large and well-equipped with amenities. The bedroom and bathroom seemed to be clean. I didn't realize until my first morning, when heading for a shower, that there were no bath towels in the room. A call to housekeeping was quickly followed by delivery of the towels.

I used the hotel's laundry service at this hotel. This doesn't cost a lot in Thailand and is well worth the modest cost. We were actively touring around all day in high heat and humidity, and I was glad to have clean clothes without messing about washing them in the bathroom all the time. The laundry service was fast and competent.

The breakfast buffet was good, with a cook available to make omelettes or otherwise cook eggs to order.

The hotel has a group of computers in the mezzanine lobby on which you can access the Internet for an hourly fee. This was not very expensive and I used this service every day we were there.

I really liked the easy access to the Night Market and visited it each evening.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank Toofargone
Kungälv Sweden
Reviewed 13 April 2009

A rather big hotel, nice and clean. Right outside the door is the Night market. The restaurant had good food but not great. The room was nice and clean. They sold wifi but that did not work in the room, only when sitting in the lobby or the restarant floor.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert A
Thailand
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I will suggest you to bring your own towel and a pair of slippers to walk while you are inside the room.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank strawberrythailand
los angeles
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I recently stayed at the Centara hotel in Chiang Mai and wanted to share my thoughts. I did extensive research on this hotel and chose it because it was very cheap and its location. I would say this is a 2.5 star hotel. I paid about $40 USD per night including breakfast and booked directly through the hotel because their rates were the most competitive. Here's a breakdown of the hotel:

Location:
Literally 1 min walk to the night bazaar. 7-11 across the street which was very convenient.

Staff:
Very nice and answered all our questions when we were booking the tours. They spoke good english and were very informative when helping us with tours.

Rooms:
Very old and dirty. I never really felt clean at this hotel-I wore slippers the whole time I was there. The towels were old, furniture was dated and the shower was so tiny. The bed was very hard and the pillows were horrible and gave us neck pain. The elevator was super slow and took forever to arrive. I must say I had a nice view though-ask for a room with mountain views. This was the worst part of the hotel!

Breakfast:
They had a very large selection. A lot of it was actually lunch dishes which seems to be common in Thailand. There was an omellete station, lots of different breads and pastries, tropical fruit, cereals, juices, coffee, pancakes etc. The breakfast was exactly the same everyday but it was very good and there was a lot to choose from.

Internet:
I think it's almost triple the price at the hotel. Go across the street and it's 1BHT/min. Or make a left out the entrance and next to the Siam coffee shop there's one that's even cheaper than that.

Massage:
There's Thai massages EVERYWHERE! Take advantage because it's super cheap here (even more so than the rest of Thailand) and amazing!

Night Bazaar:
Save all your Thailand Shopping for here. There's so much to choose from and it's never ending. You could get lost in there! Tip: our tour guide told us you need to bargain down 70% of whatever price they initially quote you. It's very true-they really inflate the prices.

Airport:
It's a 15 minute ride from the airport and costs 150BHT.

Tours:
We booked tours through the hotel. The Elephant Camp was a full day tour and was absolutely AMAZING! This was the best thing we did in our 2 weeks in Thailand-it's an absolute must. Our guide also took us to a tiger place after where we played with tigers for 15 min! This was also one of the best things we did. This was something the tour guide just threw in-it was on our way back to the hotel and so we stopped by. My husband also went to the snake show which he said was something he'd never seen. They basically hypnotize these snakes and he said it was unbelievable. I hate snakes so I just sat in the car. The Doi Suthep temple is something everyone says to go to. I didn't think this was a big deal especially after seeing the Grand Palace in Bangkok but I felt we had to do it b/c we were all the way there. If you don't have time for it-it's not the end of the world-not a big deal at all. We also did the Chiang Rai tour which was a 14 hour day. This was the most tiring day ever. I don't know if I would do this again. The only reason why I would is for the 20 minutes or so we spent at the Long neck tribe which was AMAZING!! So basically I spent a whole day in a van that took us to places that I didn;t care to see, just to see this tribe. If your tour guide offers to take you to see them on the way back from the elephant camp (apparently there's a long neck tribe on the way back) -DO IT!! We didn't and I wish we wouldv'e just gotten it over with. The Chiang Rai tour took 3.5 hours to get home on a windy road the whole time!! The whole time everyone in the car looked like they were going to vomit. If you can see them somehow without doing this tour PLEASE do it.

I don't know if I would stay here again. If you pay anything over $40USD than it's not worth it. I couldn't really find any other hotels for a little bit more that were any better. If you can, then go for it. The Le Meredian across the street is brand new and gorgeous! I think it's around $150/night. The only reason to stay here is that it's cheap and close to the night market.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bonamak20
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We stayed here for 7 nights on a bed and breakfast basis on our way around the World, and felt it to be good value for the money, rooms were comfortable and clean, the Buffet breakfast was very good, and a nice selection too. We would definately stay here again. The only fault I found was that I had prior to my trip here emailed the Hotel in advance to book onto the Hotel Shuttle bus, and this was Confirmed that I would be collected from the Airport at a cost of 120 Baht, unfortunately the Hotel forgot to collect us. A friend of ours has recently had a large house built here in Chaing Mai, and went into the Hotel and has aired our complaint to the Management. They have apologised to him since profusely, despite him having recommended the Hotel to us in the first place.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BALI2007BALI
Perth
Reviewed 10 March 2009

This hotel was a bit of a flash back to the late eighties as far as design goes, a refurbishment is long overdue. The check in was quick although the desk staff where not at all welcoming. There are only 4 lifts for several hundred rooms which meant lots of delays especially around breakfast time and I was only on the 6th floor.

The room was adequate and looked over the pool which seemed a bit odd. The bed was comforatable, the bathroom was incredibly small and awkward to get into the shower which sprayed through the gaps in the door onto the floor. I am average height and had to duck to get under the shower head which was half blocked and desperately needs replacement. The cleaning service cleans the room at about 10 and takes away the towels not replacing them until around 3 so if you want to have a shower after a morning of sight seeing you get a unexpected surprise when you go to dry off.

The included buffet breakfast was typical of any chain hotel the waiters where very friendly and provided a great service with a smile.

Normally I avoid the mini bar for its high prices but here the prices are only marginally higher than the local shops which was a nice touch.

The location is good, close to the night bazaar although a tad touristy. I extended my stay by 3 nights and opted to stay in a guesthouse near Thae Pae gate which was a much better experience. I am glad I found a online deal and only paid 1000BHT a night for this place it isn't worth a cent more.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo