“Good location with modern look”

Dusit D2 Chiang Mai
Ranked #27 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good location with modern look”
Reviewed 15 December 2010

This is my 5th visit to Chiangmai and I never get bored with this province. I stayed at D2 for 2 nights in the Deluxe King room. We booked directly with the hotel.

I was not much impressed on the outside of hotel on my first visit since it was old building which was renovated. However, when I walked into the lobby, the decoration looks very modern and new. I was a bit impressed with the fast check-in service and nice welcome drink in stylish glass from the staff. Hotel's location is very excellent. I could walk to night bazaar with just a few steps. The hotel is surrounded by many shops i.e. Starbuck, Boots, and convenient stores as well as foot massage places.

For the room, it was clean, stylish, modern and very comfortable. There are all amenities that you need in the room. However, the towels were old and looked really grey. I saw a tag that they were used since 2008. In addition, the view from the window was not that great since it was surrounded by the buildings. The tv's size is a bit too small. The hot water in the shower room was not quite stable. It turned too hot and too cold sometime but that seems not to be the case.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I and my friends asked for the late check-out at 2 pm and that was fine for all of us. I may come back to D2 once again for my next visit to Chiangmai.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank kate1819

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Very good location, professional staff, great welcome and service, excellent room deco and toilet was really 5-star too. Simply put, really amazing and I really wanted to stay here more than 1 day if I could. Location was also great in the center of the city. 2 issues though, 1 is that the TV is too small and thus hard to see from the bed or from the couch, 2nd is that the internet, even though free, has such a poor signal to the point whereby it was unusable in my room!! I cannot live without internet so it was a major letdown for me.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Gerald88
hisar
Reviewed 1 December 2010

after a day's stay in grand hyatt ,bangkok ,we travelled to chiang mai where we were booked in dusit d2 ... obviously it got compared to the hyatt !! and it gave a stiff competition . the staff was courteous . room ,very comfortable and bathroom ,though a bit cramped ...was designed nicely and kept well . i missed the jacuzzi in the health centre . food was good . would love to stay there again ,anyday .

Devon,UK
Reviewed 30 November 2010

The Dusit D2 is a modern yet comfortable hotel in Chiang Mai. The location is excellent right by the night bazaar, whilst we were there there was a festival and the parade went down the street of the night bazaar which we were able to watch from the hotels outdoor bar. We were also given a free meal in the hotel restaurant as we were a honeymoon couple as well as a delicious cake and small gift each day in the 'orange box' in our room.

The rooms were a good size with a shower room which you could see into from the bedroom, dependent upon if you had the blinds open?!

I would definately stay in a Dusit hotel again and we thoroughly enjoyed or stay - especially the Big Apple cocktails.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 29 November 2010

It's a terrific hotel with beautiful modern design, so the lobby and the rooms are a joy to be in. The location with immediate access to the Night Bazaar was great for us, so that in the evening we could just stroll out the door. Awesome water pressure in the shower, which is always nice. Nice touches like little "gifts" every night and the turndown service included extra bottles of water for the next day to take out with you. The room was big enough with space for my little one to feel like she could roam and play.

Service was wonderful, with one-on-one check-in at the couches in the lobby, with nice welcome fruit drinks. But what topped it for us was the concierge service on the 7th floor. We went to Chiang Mai on the spur of the moment, so did practically no planning, other than to find the hotel before hand and grab a little Berlitz guide to Thailand. The concierge was super helpful with all kinds of planning, from trips to see elephants, monkeys and tigers, to a place for manicure / pedicures, to family-friendly restaurants. Quick and helped us get what we wanted, whatever it was.

The only downsides: the buffet breakfast is not included in price (at least in our pricing) and is quite expensive. However, we splurged and did Sunday brunch there, and it was quite delicious and enjoyable, but probably still not worth the price, just b/c there is such terrific cheap food in Thailand. (If you were yearning for a western breakfast though, maybe it's a go.) The wireless never really worked for us, but you could plug in for access in your room and they provided the cable. At night, they play club music in the lobby, which is no longer my thing after having a child, but you don't hear it after you leave the lobby. The spa is waaaaay expensive, and doesn't do basic services like mani/pedi/waxing. But spas are all over in Chiang Mai, just ask the concierge.

Overall, it's definitely a 4.5 star hotel and really made our trip. For the price, it felt like amazing value. We would stay there again, no question.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank gangstawong
curlyrainbow
Reviewed 18 November 2010

I am currently writing this review from my room in the dusit d2. Let me detail my trip from the begging.
After arriving in chiang mai (For the first time) we were greated by a friendly D2 Transfer guy who took us to the hotel - a super swift check in led us to our "upgraded room". We were upgraded to a studio suite - ohmygod - its beautiful. We were so shocked when we walked in, its got the most amazing bathroom, living room, bedroom, walk in wardrobe, two plasma tvs etc.
The staff here are so friendly and always willing to help. The night markets are right on your doorstep. We planned to hire a scooter but haven't needed to in two days because everything is so close to the hotel.
The breakfast is great with lots of choice - Have not ordered the room service yet- but I think we will on one night as the pricing are so reasonable.
There are so many amazing fresh seafood places to eat so close by so the food choices are perfect for anyone who is all about the food on a holiday (like me :)
Cant fault the hotel so far - its right up there for me!

PNG
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My husband and I traveled with our friends to Chaing Mai and stayed at D2 for 3 nights. We are so impressed with the services, rooms, food, spa and we really had a good time. the final day, we were rushing to leave the hotel and I forgot my travel bag (I kept passport, tickets and money- thousands of US$) in the room. We traveled by a private bus to Chaing Rai. An hour later, on the way to Chaing Rai, my mother who lives in Chaing Rai called me that the hotel reception has informed her that I left my important documents and bag at the hotel. So we returned back to the hotel and found that the hotel has tried to find my contact via many channels as I did not write my mobile phone in Thailand on checking in. Luckily, they found my late father ID card in my travel bag (which I kept with me since he died) and they search the contact details via internet and found the number to call my mother. I have checked, nothing was missing from the bag.
This is an impressing service beyond an excellent services they provide. They have put their heart to provide the best service even after we left the hotel. I am thankful and congratulating for their sincere and heartful service. Suparat P.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple