“Best Guesthouse In Chiang Mai.”
Review of Libra Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Libra Guest House
Ranked #34 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Edmonton
“Best Guesthouse In Chiang Mai.”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I've had many wonderful stays over the years at Libra. Sometimes for only a night, and sometimes for up to a month. Dao and her staff have always gone over and above to make mine and everyone else's stay memorable and easy. The rooms are always clean and a great value as well. The staff here are more than willing to go out of their way to help you plan activities and make bookings and will always ensure you get a fair price from the tour operators. I've also done many treks through Libra and their trekking service and guides are also top notch. It seems strange to find a reviewer getting upset about not being able to find English speaking staff at 1 AM. This is pretty standard in Thai guesthouses besides in an emergency situation. The staff here have always made provisions for myself and my friends if we're going to be arriving late, such as setting out our room keys and wifi codes with the security (who doesn't speak English). Just another example of how Libra's staff goes out of their way to make sure you're looked after. Can't wait to get back here!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Victoria
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed in this guesthouse for 2 nights, and the draw for me was the 24 hour reception. On my second night I arrived back at the hostel at midnight and asked the person working reception for more toilet paper. I only asked once, but he didn't understand, so went to ask someone else who lives at the guesthouse (I'm guessing his father) if he understood. I never asked him to ask anyone else. As he was asking about the toilet paper, another lady who worked/lived at the guesthouse came out from across the courtyard and yelled "its 1am and we need to sleep too." I honestly didn't make any noise coming in and only attempted to ask once about the toilet paper before I tried to say don't worry about it. It was incredibly unfriendly and really made me feel unwelcome in the guesthouse. We checked out the next day.

1 Thank jesstoyn
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights whilst visiting Chiang Mai. After a hectic time in Bangkok, we finally found a place we could relax in. We were greeted at the train station, even though our train was 2 hours late, and driven to the guesthouse free of charge. It was only 10.30am but we were checked in straight away. We were told to go up to our room to shower and sort ourselves out and come back down when we were ready to fill in the usual bits of paperwork.

The room itself was basic but what do you expect for 1500 baht for 2 people/3 nights?? It was however very clean, had towels and toilet paper and a fully functionally a/c unit. It had everything we needed as a base in Chiang Mai.

The staff did not hesitate to immediately sit us down with a city map and circle all the places worth visiting - particularly the Saturday and Sunday night walking markets! We had planned to book an elephant trek and a cooking class through the guesthouse too. They booked these easily for us, without pressuring us into anything else - they pretty much sorted us an itinerary out from the start! We did the mahout training (1800 baht each) which was well worth the money. This included travel, an amazing thai lunch, a full morning being hands-on with the elephants, a trek to a waterfall, a visit to a hill tribe and bamboo rafting, as well as, a disk of photos from the day.

We ate breakfast at the guesthouse each morning as it was cheap and just what we were after.

Location-wise it was perfect for us. Just within the walls of the old town, close enough to walk everywhere but far enough to be quiet.

All in all, a great place to stay, run by a great family. So cheap and we have no complaints!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was traveling solo for the first time when I arrived at the Libra house. There is no doubt that this was a perfect choice. The staff were so friendly and helpful. When I first arrived they sat me down and reviewed a map so I knew where everything was. People often sit out in the front so it's a great way to meet other travelers. The staff is also happy to introduce you to other people if you want company. The staff did forget to pick me up at the airport, but were happy to pay for my cab ride. They felt really bad, but we all laughed it off and getting there was easy.
The rooms are extremely basic with a bed, two wood chairs, and a combo bathroom/shower. Everything was very clean and tidy. I slept very well each night and was happy to stay where I also felt very safe.
Make sure you tell the staff anything you might be interested and they will be happy to set you up. The location is great and you can easily walk around to see temples and street food. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: May not want to take the third floor if you have heavy suitcases. There is no elevator!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 17 September 2013

just finished an amazing stay at Libra!! The accommodation is comfortable and clean allowing me to get a good nights rest so I could wake up in the morning ready to take on the day and the many activities Chiang Mai has to offer! The staff are more than helpful with arranging anything you may need, from transportation to activities to something as simple as directions.
The food is phenomenal and priced well.
the location is perfect on a quiet side street but not far from the bar district or a main street to grab a soong thaw or tuk tuk.
Libra is easily able to accommodate any style of traveler from a soloist, a few friends, a couple, a large group or a family.
stay at Libra!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Libra Guesthouse is such a welcoming place. As soon as you arrive to Chiang Mai, if you have pre-booked with them, they will be waiting to pick you up from the airport, bus station, or train station. The rooms are standard fan and hot or cold water, but are kept clean. The restaurant makes great food, coffee, and shakes.

The staff at Libra help make the guesthouse. Everyone is super friendly and will spend the time to get to know you! Libra offers jungle treks and have guides that are a lot of fun and will stay up on your trek playing guitar, singing, and chatting.

Overall Libra Guesthouse is a great place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone going through Chiang Mai.

Sligo
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Libra Guesthouse in August 2012. The staff are really friendly and helpful and the guesthouse is well located. We were recommended this guesthouse by a fellow backpacker and were not disappointed! When we arrived, the staff spent 20 minutes showing us all the cool things to do in Chiang Mai on their laptop. The room was pretty basic but it was the friendly atmosphere and the staff who really made the place! We did a cooking class that they organised for us that was really well taught by a lovely lady! We loved it! We were about a 7-8 minute walk to the city and about a 5 minute walk to a clutter of restaurants and bars! The highlight of our trip to Chiang Mai was our two-day trek which was again organised by the lovely staff at Libra. Nu was our guide and works with Libra Guesthouse. He was an excellent guide and we had two unforgettable days visiting waterfalls, hot springs, trekking, staying with a local hill tribe(there are loads of different tribes who all have their own languages), washing elephants in the river, water rafting. During the trek I dropped and damaged my camera. I was very anxious that my memory card (with a months worth of travelling photos) was damaged. On returning from the trek one of the staff members let me use her own personal laptop even though there are computers to go on the internet which you pay a small fee per hour. She insisted I use it as long as I needed and I uploaded all my photos before I could lose them. I was so grateful and she wouldn't take any money although I had spent a few hours on it. It's acts of kindness like this that you really take away with you and help add to a wonderful, memorable stay. Definitely stay at Libra guesthouse-you won't be disappointed! Abuja!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
#130 of 736 in Chiang Mai
Teak House Chiang Mai
Teak House Chiang Mai
#11 of 26 in Hang Dong

Been to Libra Guest House? Share your experiences!