“Quintessential guesthouse” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Libra Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Libra Guest House
Ranked #32 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Portland
“Quintessential guesthouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed at Libra Guesthouse during Loi Krathong- it was busy! The staff were excellent: friendly and patient- with lots of knowledge of Chiang Mai and all the activities that can be done in the area. They went out of their way, time after time, for the guests staying there. Prices were reasonable, the room I stayed in was very comfortable (room with A/C and hot water). The garden space was pretty and relaxing. I appreciated that I never felt pressured to do the activities they offered, yet all the information was accessible and easy to browse through. Overall, a very well-run place, I feel lucky to have stayed at Libra and I'd stay there again!

One thing- the travel agent adjunct to the guesthouse- I'm sure he is good enough for booking bus tickets and the like, however the price he gave me for a flight was 150 bucks over the ticket I bought online.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Moshi, Tanzania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

To start off, I have to say that the staff here are really what make this place amazing. Dow and her sister (who run the guest house) are two of the most friendly women I have ever met and our entire Chiang Mai visit was planned by them (which turned out UNREAL). The food was great, the rooms were good (very basic however you're in Chiang Mai.... go explore and use your room just to sleep). The food was always fresh and wonderful as well. My friend even accidentally left her hat on the bench in the main area before we left for Phuket and Dow had held on to it until one of our other friends got to Libra a few weeks after. It was refreshing to find such kind people in such a lovely atmosphere in the heart of Chiang Mai. I cannot praise this place enough. I will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: There are no elevators so those with heavy backpacks might want to chose to stay on the first or sec...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

What really makes this place special are the owners and the staff. They are willing to go up and beyond, and do everything they can to make your stay in Chiang Mai special. I travelled to Chiang Mai by myself with no definite plans going into the week. The owners right from the getgo sat me down and helped make an itinerary for my stay. I went on a 2-day trek, which was fabulous. It was more off the beaten track, and I would highly recommend going on their trek! When you go on the trek, you can leave your luggage in the room and valuables in their lockbox, without having to pay for the night. They even provide a little backpack for you to use.

The rooms are nothing to write home about, but they're clean, spacious, and everything worked. What more can you ask for at a guesthouse? There are some gorgeous gardens, with about 10 hammocks or so for you to lay back and relax.

The location is right at the northeast corner of the old city, about 10 minute drive from the airport. If you're staying 2 nights or more they'll even come pick you up at the airport. It's within walking distance to all the attractions in the old city, and very easy to pickup a tuk-tuk (and the owners will even arrange something for you if you're heading to Doi Suthep or Tiger Kingdom for example).

I only had breakfast there once, and it was delicious and large portions, at a good price.

Overall, nothing but good things to say! They all made my stay in Chiang Mai memorable with their kindness and sense of humour!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Had a great stay in libra house the food was delicious and the lady running the place was what made chaing mai such a lovely place we got there with no plans for our trip and she immediately helped us out. The room was immaculate and she has a great sence of humor. If im in thailand again this will be my first stop.

• Stayed October 2013
Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

This place (room with AC and hot water) and their treks might be more expensive than others, but worth every penny!!
I stayed at Libra with my husband, absolutely loved it, cant give them enough praise. We arrived around 7 am and our room was available immediately, allowing us to get some sleep. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. It is relaxing, quiet area, loved the hammocks in the garden. The lady who runs the place together with the others was so helpful and really made us feel welcome and took good care about us.
She sat down with us and showed us everything to do in the area, explaining how to get there, etc. We booked the two day trek with Libra (left our belongings in the room and were not charged) and it was fantastic!
They also paid for the tuk tuk which took us from the bus station to Libra.
I cant believe those negative reviews, especially the ones complaining about unfriendly staff!
I recommend this place, I would return there immediately. Do not hesitate and make the reservation!

Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The trek through this guesthouse was incredible!! However, the owners of the guesthouse are incredibly unfriendly which is unfortunate. Despite the fact they sell beer don't buy it or drink there. I watched a group of people staying there get yelled at for drinking the beer that they bought at the guesthouse.. super strange. Also there were a ton of ants in the our bathroom. But the trek was incredible so it's really a toss up! Maybe stay for the trek then leave after that.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Libra for 5 nights and absolutely loved it, I cannot give them enough praise. We arrived at 6 am from a night bus from Bangkok and were able to go to our room straight away for a sleep, even though we hadn't checked in properly yet! The staff were so so helpful and really made you feel at home and like they really wanted you to have a good trip.

The lady there sat us down with a map and showed us everything to do in the area and how to get there, prices etc. We booked all activities through the hostel which were great value and always excellent. The two day trek with Libra was the highlight of our trip! It was two days and included elephant bathing/elephant ride, bamboo rafting, visits to hill tribes.

The location is also great, just 5 minutes walk away from the central area of the old town.
Rooms were clean and perfect for what we wanted. Also a lovely garden area with hammocks!