Soso hotel ideally situated near old town and at 20 min walk from night market.
Sort of no nonsense family-backpackers hotel.
Laundry and pharmacist at the opposite side of road. Pubs restaurants, scooter rentals nearby. Foodshops at chang mai gate nearby.
Good wifi at the lobby, not in rooms.
Room was not ready when we arrived, but we were offered to shower and change clothes at the pool. And were offered a free upgrade to superior room. Good reaction from the staff. Friendly and active staff, clean rooms. A bit of hard beds. Good tv set , nice rooms, a bit outdated, but original and authentic in opinion.
Nice public space with cosy and no nonsense tv corner, bar, next to the pool, ideal for following sports events as" tour de france".
The hotel gives the impression of a lively and no nonense backpackers and family hotel.
Cons and advice to the staff:
- you should have serious word with your neighbours: the simple fact of being waken up every morning at 5 AM by the noise of at least 5 competing roosters is not my idea of a good holiday. If I would have known this issue on beforehand, Chiang Mai Gate hotel would have been a nogo for us. Good sleep is very important, and crowing roosters are incompatible with this.
- the breakfast is frankly said lousy and some small steps can make a big improvement. Provide yoghourt and or cheese. Set some cornflakes for the kids aside (the cost is not so big, isn't it?). I agree that you don't want to win a gastronomical prize with your breakfast, but the service now is simply sub-par. When you see guests bringing in their own supplies, then you should do something about it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chiangmai Gate Hotel is nicely decorated in traditional Lanna (Nothern) Thai style with 121 rooms ( Standard, Superior, Deluxe, and Suite ). Chiangmai Gate Hotel is centrally located near the heart of the city with approximately 20 minutes walk to historic Thapae Gate, old Temples and only 10 minutes ride to the airport and famous Night Bazaar. Apart from providing clean and nicely decorated in traditional Lanna (Northern) rooms, we also offer wide range of basic amenities, facilities and services including a restaurant, meeting facilities and swimming pool. So, whether you are on vacation or business trip, think of Chiangmai Gate as your first choice and you will ultimately experience friendly & warmth atmosphere, customer care and plenty of smiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, HostelWorld, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chiang Mai Gate Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.