Chiang Mai Gate Hotel
  • Restaurant
US$676
US$299
Agoda.com
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$123
US$91
US$455
US$403
Agoda.com
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$147
US$101
Rainforest Boutique(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
US$32
US$30
All reviewsg adventures tournight markettuk tukstandard roomnice hotelswimming poolold cityroom safetravel deskthe hotel offerswi fiwalking streetminute walknice poolbuffet breakfaststayed here for nightssmall balcony
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here in February for two nights. First impressions of the hotel is it's in an ok position not to far from the hustle and bustle of the town but far enough not to hear it. The rooms are very small and you would struggle to swing a cat in the bathroom, though they are clean and tastefully decorated. Breakfast is very good with plenty of choice and all cooked very well. Pool area is ok with a few tables and chairs to sit at, and the pool is clean. Wifi is only available in the reception area, but it us free. We would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bolton737
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The chiang mai gate hotel is a good starting point in chiang mai. Rooms were nice, the bathrooms with a nice twist. They were reasonably sized and clean. Breakfast was according to thai standard with limited choice for the european/italian stomach. The restaurant was ok. I didn't use the pool, but it looked nice.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The hotel has potential to be excellent, but there were too many issues to give it more than an average rating. The rooms are nicely decorated if a little small, and it can be difficult negotiating the bathroom in the dark. The cleaners are not very generous at replenishing toiletries. No tea/coffee making facilities in rooms. Beds were on the firm side as seems the norm in Thailand, but the pillows were also very hard.

The hotel is well located close to the Chiang Mai Gate itself, and in a not too touristy area.

Breakfast offers a very limited choice if you prefer Western breakfast, with no croissants/pastries, and only eggs and mini frankfurter sausages for 'English' breakfast. There is an egg cooking area outside the dining room (we missed it first day) but the egg chef seemed reluctant to make omelettes and looked knowingly at the pre cooked fried and scrambled eggs when I requested one, and he/she wasn't even present much of the time.

The reception area is usually packed with cases/rucksacks, and gives the impression of people always leaving rather than people arriving. I would not normally comment on wi-fi as I take it or leave it, but every other hotel has it so it became an expectation. Wi-fi was only available in reception without extra payment, and was very poor other than very early morning.

Surprisingly the hotel has no evening dining, only snacks, and though we would not dine at a hotel, some people may find this a problem. The pool area is average, with many of the loungers being broken. Another problem that we didn't encounter elsewhere was many guests talking loudly to each other from opposite ends of the corridor despite signs asking not to make noise. This hotel must attract a certain type of guest.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I used to stay at this hotel while living in Bangkok, circa 1997-2001; and stayed there again in 2004. I used to like it as I felt it was good value (then about 700 baht a night); but I would stay in the old part on the back side, which I actually preferred, which used to be called Chatree Guest House. They added the new portion about 15 years ago. The new portion was much more expensive and looked like any run of the mill US hotel. This time was a big disappointment; the rooms start at 1800 baht; about 55 USD and even the rooms in what used to be the new wing were not near worth the price; carpets at this point are stained and dirty; bed very very average or less; windows dirty; dirt and stains on wall around light fixtures, etc. Room really a bit drab. If I am going to pay 55. USD for a room in Thailand, it should be MUCH MUCH nicer than what Chiangmai Gate is charging. Breakfast is okay; nothing special. Front desk helpful. Pool area is now looking tattered, worn, dirty. The lounge chairs are old and breaking down; one came apart when the guest next to me pulled on it; all the pool furniture needs to be replaced and the whole pool area refurbished. So skip this hotel; I only went there because I'd had previous good experiences on many occasions, but it has deteriorated and the price is really over the top. Go across the street to Smith Residence and book a cleaner room and enjoy the small but clean roof top pool; and the price is 650 baht, one third of the price I paid. No breakfast, but really, with the heaps of great cafes in Chiang Mai, you can get a lovely breakfast with coffee for 100 baht or less. SKIP THIS HOTEL; you have so many choices of better guest houses and hotels in Chiang Mai; I found lovely gorgeous Thai style hotels and Guest Houses.

Room Tip: I like top floors of hotels and end rooms, away from lifts and noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I didn't like it here. Smelly rooms, awful breakfast, cigarette holes in furniture. The best about the hotel might be the location: close to night markets, temples, restaurants. Pool ok for a swim after 2 day hike.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple