“Great hotel away from the tourist areas”
Review of Viangbua Mansion

Viangbua Mansion
Ranked #82 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great hotel away from the tourist areas”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed as a couple for five nights at the Viangbau Mansion.

The rooms were massive the biggest we stayed in while traveling in asia, we had a sitting area and bedroom as well as a balcony. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was good.

This hotel was a little bit more expensive than others we stayed in thailand but coming from Bangkok it was exactly what we where looking for away from the main tourist bars and restaurants but with one good and one excellent restaurant just outside.

The downside when we were there was they were doing work outside, pipes of some sort so the street was partly dug up. The noise wasnt bad in the hotel and work stopped and started at a reasonable hour so it didnt affect our stay other than physically getting in and out.

The location was ideal for us it is a bit of a walk to the main town but we did it most of the time we were there and you get a look at areas you probably wouldnt otherwise and there is usually a taxi or tuk tuk nearby if you get tired.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterGlasg0w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The best thing about Viangbua Mansion are its staff. The Housekeeping Manager is on top of things which explains the high standard of cleanliness. The reception staff are always responsive, friendly and try so hard to help. There are many long stay guests who are retirees so there is a kind of "community feel" and hardly any noisy young guests running around. A big plus is the fab Tanin Market 2 mins away. Fresh vegetables and fruit, all sorts of snacks, and you can order a stirfry for USD1 ready in 5 mins washed down with iced coffee costing 50 cents. Bottles of beer are available in the grocery shops which you can chill in the huge room fridge. I also appreciate the well-lit and safe parking for motorbikes. There are many other places which charge similar rates but cannot match the service and facilities. I hope Viangbua keeps its rates fair because this will keep customers coming back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Jennifer H
Glendora, CA
Reviewed 20 February 2014

First of all, reviews are pretty much subjective, and based from your other experiences with travel and vacation. I'll be as neutral as I can.

The Viangbua Mansion for my needs hit the spot for several reasons. First off, I loved the location. Some people don't like that the VM is a little out of the touristy areas, but for me, that was a plus. All of those areas are chocked full of tourists, and at times seemed as if there are more tourists than Thais, which leaves you with a different perspective and experience. So for me, to be away from those crowds was nice. When the time comes and you want to hit the tourist spots, there always seemed to be a Tuk Tuk or Songtow nearby to take you wherever you wanted to go. Thapae Gate is not more than a 10 minute ride, and if you are a walker, you can easily walk there in about half an hour if so inclined. The north end of the Old City, or moat is a short walk as well. All of the malls are within a 10-15 minute ride, although I do know those who walk... at least one way.

The residence: VM seemed more like a guest house to me. There are people staying there from all corners of the earth... don't know why people say that since the earth is round, but anyway, there was always someone to talk too. You could find those who rent on a yearly basis, monthly basis, or for just a few days. But with that said, you would never realize there were long term residences. VM manages to keep its charm. There is a nice restaurant (small) on site that serves both western and asian meals. The Thai menu items were the least expensive, but that holds true wherever you eat. I wish they were open for dinner, but as of this writing, they only serve breakfast and lunch, closing at 3 pm, or 15:00. As a guest staying there for less than 30 days, breakfast is included in your daily rate. The wifi is "okay", but I have travelled enough to realize that I will not get blistering speeds when abroad, so even though I would have like more bandwidth, what they offered was adequate.

The Staff: Awesome. I never really felt as if I was a guest there. They make you feel at home as best they can, were always welcoming, and incredibly helpful. Sometimes I wished I could communicate a little more, but then again, I am the guest in Thailand... and ultimately, there never really was a problem. It is the staff and ambiance of the VM that keeps bringing customers back.

The Food: The food in the restaurant was good, I never had a bad meal. You can choose, like I mentioned above, American style breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast), or lunches (tuna or a club sandwich), or a number of Thai and other Asian dishes. For those of you who wonder about the water, drink up. I always drank their water, and so does everyone else... with no problems. I still do whenever I drop in for a quick breakfast or lunch. Just a short walk away is another world of choice at the local market, or at many of the small eating establishments all around the area. A word about that... not all have menus in English, for those of us who are English speakers. Most here do not speak English either, so communicating what you want or if you have a question... it might not be answered. But with that said, most places have pictures on the menu, so you can always point.

The rooms: The rooms were large by my standards, much larger than a room you would get in the states. The corner rooms were larger, but for a single traveller or a couple, a regular room is fine. Mine had a queen sized bed, desk, sofa, chair, lamps, two large closets, two dressers, and a TV that had a few English channels. The room was fairly clean (shower and bathroom), but then I am not too critical. I suppose if you wanted to give the place the 'white glove' treatment you could, but for me, I didn't think spotless... as it showed a little wear. But that is acceptable for me... that is where the subjectivity comes in. The bed was always made, fresh water was in the room daily, and I never had a fear of something turning up missing. They also had a small room safe you could use as well.

Over all, I would stay there again. I really found no negatives. Sure a pool or something like that would be nice, but I knew they didn't have one, so it wasn't an issue. Location for me, was fine... I don't have a problem walking, and if I didn't want to walk, there was always alternate transportation.

Room Tip: I prefer the north side, at least you have a view of the mountains. However, with that side of the b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank slc12312
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at Viang Bua Mansíon some time ago and liked it. It is a bit pricy and old style, but it has STYLE, charm and calm.

I had a spacious corner apartment which was clean and really nice. I saw another room which was smaller and more simple. I will recommend the bigger rooms.

The staff was smiling and very helpful.

The GYM had a treadmill and a few dumbbells and that's it.... wouldn't call it a gym though.

The food is nice, but around the corner there is a market where you can buy the most tasty food for almost no money.

It is a bit out of the town center so you need to rent a motorbike. Or be prepared for other kind of transportation

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Søren J
Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed here last month, having decided to give it a try after recommendation from friends who stayed here before. It is located outside the old city centre, which means either a long walk to, or a red-bus "taxi" or tuk-tuk ride to get to "the moat" which surrounds the old city is located.
The establishment is well maintained, clean, and well-run.They had records of my booking and had no problems with my checking-in before the official 2 pm time (I e-mailed before-hand to ask if it is ok to be there before 12 pm).

I had booked a one-bedroom apartment which is very spacious, comes with a kitchenette ( a microwave, 2 electric cooking "rings",pot and pan, cutlery, an electric water kettle, a big fridge, and 2 tv's (one flat-screen in the sitting room area, and one old box tv in the bedroom). It is spacious, with room for dinning area, sitting area, and the bedroom is huge with plenty of storage, not to mention the large bathroom with a separate glassed in shower, on one side, and a big bath on the opposite side, and a separate w.c.

A word of caution about hot water shower: not sure what the reason is, but the shower water takes a long while to heat, and then it comes suddenly in a big hot flow for several seconds before it starts all over again. It is also not possible to regulate the temperature of the water.

There are 2 airco's - one in the living and dinning area, the other is in the bedroom. I did not turn them on as the room temperature suits me fine. I did hear however, the rumbling noise of the air-co in the apartment next door. There is also a noise factor, that is I could hear my neighbour-guests opening and closing wardrobe doors, and when they are talking to each other.

House-keeping is efficient, done on a daily basis, and 2 bottles of water per day are placed in the fridge, which is handy for when one returns to the apartment. Breakfast is complimentary for short stay guests (on daily or up to a week's stay) . Longer than a week ? - you are on your own. The small restaurant serves breakfast and lunch (but closed from around 3 pm). We had sandwiches and Thai food which are well prepared. They do very good omelette and fried rice or noodles.

There are many elderly expats (westerners) as guests, many staying long term, and they are rather decent and quiet folks.Thus this is more a place for those who wish to be away from the touristic places and action-centred old city. The location does provide a taste for local rural life, with a big and colorful wet market nearby, several eateries serving local and western dishes and reasonable prices lower than in the city, a few laundry places (cheap and reliable, doing wash and ironing ) steps away from the hotel, if you do not use the washing machines in the hotel for DIY laundry.

In summary, I am very satisfied with the hotel, in terms of the spacious and well-kept apartment, the way my booking was handled, the good house-keeping, available laundry and eating facilities and quiet location. I do not mind having to walk into the city, do not mind the staff not speaking good English, and do not miknd not having swimming pool.

Room Tip: You should tell them - when booking - if you prefer twin beds or a double bed room, to avoid having...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Silverlucky
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed for 3 nights at Viangbua Mansion in November 2013. We chose this place based on recommendations from trip advisor and we weren't disappointed. Whilst the hotel is a 10 minute drive from the old city, there are several markets and restaurants close to Viangbua that are nice to check out. The main road is only a 2 minute walk, where you can hail a red taxi to the old city or Night Bazaar market. The rooms are very spacious and clean, lots of cupboards and a full size fridge. The bathroom was clean, shower nice and air conditioning effective. The room and hotel in general was very peaceful, with not much noise or traffic, so slept well.

The staff at the reception were always very helpful and willing to answer any questions we had regarding tours on offer or general travel info regarding Chiang Mai.

I recommend this hotel if it's in the vicinity of the activities you're after.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Viangbua Mansion is a 10 minute drive from the old city, but is a 5 minute walk from a local market which offers plenty of food options. The staff were very helpful for all our enquiries such as tours, travel options and general directions. The rooms are large, with lots of cupboards. A full sized fridge, bathroom and good air conditioning. There is a cheap self-service laundry area that only costs around 40 baht per load. To get a tuktuk or a red taxi, you might have to take a 2 minute walk toward the main road. For dinner, another nearby food option is Nu's Place which is right beside the hotel.Overall, it was a good experience. We'd stay there again in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends