“Unbeatable customer service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Viangbua Mansion
Ranked #70 of 374 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Unbeatable customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This was my first place in a 6 week trip across Asia. I stayed in various places with a variety of places and feel this was the best place overall.

The customer service was exceptional by asian standards. The lady at night was very helpful with tour options without being pushey like most places. She organised my girlfriends lost bag with the airline for us. The other staff were always polite and helpful.

The place is a little way out of the old city. I found this to be a bonus as you got a more authentic experience and its quiet. The breakfast options were very good. The wifi was strong. The room was large and even had a seperate sitting area. The bed was huge. The bathroom had a large seperate shower with good water pressure. I feel the only thing this place didnt have was a pool.

Would definately stay again! The only negative thing I can say is that because this was my first place, I held it as the standard which most of my following accomadtion failed to meet.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sam J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at Viangbua Mansion for one night.

Our room was spacious, the staff were very friendly and polite.
It's about 20 minutes to Chiang Mai City center so you may need a motorcycle if you are staying here longer.

Basic but great value.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We are halfway through our trip and this was the best place we stayed at. The evening reception lady was the most helpful and caring lady ever. We had just come off the plane and my bag was missing and she rung the airport luggage people for me and sorted the whole issue out.
Also after a long and busy day my bf and I get in (we clearly look knackered) and she asks if we are O.K and then goes and gets us a glass of ice cold water (on a tray even)! All the reception ladies were really nice and helpful but the evening lady was a gem.
Just a note: we were the only young people there.
Breakfast was delicious too!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica W
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed as a couple for five nights at the Viangbau Mansion.

The rooms were massive the biggest we stayed in while traveling in asia, we had a sitting area and bedroom as well as a balcony. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was good.

This hotel was a little bit more expensive than others we stayed in thailand but coming from Bangkok it was exactly what we where looking for away from the main tourist bars and restaurants but with one good and one excellent restaurant just outside.

The downside when we were there was they were doing work outside, pipes of some sort so the street was partly dug up. The noise wasnt bad in the hotel and work stopped and started at a reasonable hour so it didnt affect our stay other than physically getting in and out.

The location was ideal for us it is a bit of a walk to the main town but we did it most of the time we were there and you get a look at areas you probably wouldnt otherwise and there is usually a taxi or tuk tuk nearby if you get tired.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterGlasg0w
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

The best thing about Viangbua Mansion are its staff. The Housekeeping Manager is on top of things which explains the high standard of cleanliness. The reception staff are always responsive, friendly and try so hard to help. There are many long stay guests who are retirees so there is a kind of "community feel" and hardly any noisy young guests running around. A big plus is the fab Tanin Market 2 mins away. Fresh vegetables and fruit, all sorts of snacks, and you can order a stirfry for USD1 ready in 5 mins washed down with iced coffee costing 50 cents. Bottles of beer are available in the grocery shops which you can chill in the huge room fridge. I also appreciate the well-lit and safe parking for motorbikes. There are many other places which charge similar rates but cannot match the service and facilities. I hope Viangbua keeps its rates fair because this will keep customers coming back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Jennifer H
Glendora, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

First of all, reviews are pretty much subjective, and based from your other experiences with travel and vacation. I'll be as neutral as I can.

The Viangbua Mansion for my needs hit the spot for several reasons. First off, I loved the location. Some people don't like that the VM is a little out of the touristy areas, but for me, that was a plus. All of those areas are chocked full of tourists, and at times seemed as if there are more tourists than Thais, which leaves you with a different perspective and experience. So for me, to be away from those crowds was nice. When the time comes and you want to hit the tourist spots, there always seemed to be a Tuk Tuk or Songtow nearby to take you wherever you wanted to go. Thapae Gate is not more than a 10 minute ride, and if you are a walker, you can easily walk there in about half an hour if so inclined. The north end of the Old City, or moat is a short walk as well. All of the malls are within a 10-15 minute ride, although I do know those who walk... at least one way.

The residence: VM seemed more like a guest house to me. There are people staying there from all corners of the earth... don't know why people say that since the earth is round, but anyway, there was always someone to talk too. You could find those who rent on a yearly basis, monthly basis, or for just a few days. But with that said, you would never realize there were long term residences. VM manages to keep its charm. There is a nice restaurant (small) on site that serves both western and asian meals. The Thai menu items were the least expensive, but that holds true wherever you eat. I wish they were open for dinner, but as of this writing, they only serve breakfast and lunch, closing at 3 pm, or 15:00. As a guest staying there for less than 30 days, breakfast is included in your daily rate. The wifi is "okay", but I have travelled enough to realize that I will not get blistering speeds when abroad, so even though I would have like more bandwidth, what they offered was adequate.

The Staff: Awesome. I never really felt as if I was a guest there. They make you feel at home as best they can, were always welcoming, and incredibly helpful. Sometimes I wished I could communicate a little more, but then again, I am the guest in Thailand... and ultimately, there never really was a problem. It is the staff and ambiance of the VM that keeps bringing customers back.

The Food: The food in the restaurant was good, I never had a bad meal. You can choose, like I mentioned above, American style breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast), or lunches (tuna or a club sandwich), or a number of Thai and other Asian dishes. For those of you who wonder about the water, drink up. I always drank their water, and so does everyone else... with no problems. I still do whenever I drop in for a quick breakfast or lunch. Just a short walk away is another world of choice at the local market, or at many of the small eating establishments all around the area. A word about that... not all have menus in English, for those of us who are English speakers. Most here do not speak English either, so communicating what you want or if you have a question... it might not be answered. But with that said, most places have pictures on the menu, so you can always point.

The rooms: The rooms were large by my standards, much larger than a room you would get in the states. The corner rooms were larger, but for a single traveller or a couple, a regular room is fine. Mine had a queen sized bed, desk, sofa, chair, lamps, two large closets, two dressers, and a TV that had a few English channels. The room was fairly clean (shower and bathroom), but then I am not too critical. I suppose if you wanted to give the place the 'white glove' treatment you could, but for me, I didn't think spotless... as it showed a little wear. But that is acceptable for me... that is where the subjectivity comes in. The bed was always made, fresh water was in the room daily, and I never had a fear of something turning up missing. They also had a small room safe you could use as well.

Over all, I would stay there again. I really found no negatives. Sure a pool or something like that would be nice, but I knew they didn't have one, so it wasn't an issue. Location for me, was fine... I don't have a problem walking, and if I didn't want to walk, there was always alternate transportation.

Room Tip: I prefer the north side, at least you have a view of the mountains. However, with that side of the b...