“My favorite place we stayed, by far”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 777 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I stayed here for a few nights with my boyfriend; we are in our 20s. We LOVED it. It's gorgeous. Great location. Our room was incredible. Aslo has nice pool and great breakfast. Most of all though, the staff was incredible. For example, we shortened our stay because we decided to go on a trek. We told them the morning we left, and they not only let us check out immediately with no penalty, they let us leave our bags with them during our 3 day trek. They were really phenomenal. If I ever have the chance, I will return to Thailand just to this hotel for a few weeks. It's so great.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank res21
There are newer reviews for Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 12 August 2008

I stayed in this B&B for 5 nights in July based on the reviewsof .TA. I liked it very much. The ground is very beautiful and staffs are very courteous. The location is very good. It is near the night market and good restaurants are within walking distance. However the room I stayed was very small and shower stall had drainage problem. The floor is not sloped so water stays. I often measure plushness of hotel with thickness of bath towlels. The towels are dated there as well. You can spend far less and staying same street as Baan Orapin. Maybe less manicured ground but equally good experience. Overall good place to stay but if you are a value oriented traveller you can do better somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank sip308
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We stayed here for three nights and wished we could have stayed longer. The property is quiet and peaceful, beautifully maintained, and a very relaxing place to stay. The owner, Opas, was kind and helpful and an excellent host. We had booked based on all the postive trip advisor reviews and I don't want to repeat what has been said, other than to agree with all the positive points already made.

A couple of things to note:
1. The rooms at the front could possibly be noisy as the road at the front is quite busy - it's worth getting a room at the back if this is likely to affect you.

2. The location is slightly out of town on the other side of the river (about a 15-20 minute walk in). We didn't think this was a problem at all, as the road had several lovely restaurants (we would particularly recommend Regina, turn left and cross the road - really nice food, lovely people and good value) and had some very picturesque older buildings on it. So for us, it was much nicer than being in the thick of things. A tuk-tuk cost 50-60 baht to get into the town centre.

3. If you book a trip through the b&b you might be able to get a discount - we booked the one day trek with elephant ride and bamboo rafting through them, and loved it. Really impressed with the guide and the overall organisation.

Overall, we had a lovely stay and would definitely consider staying there again if we return to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GillycatBedford
Reviewed 17 July 2008

Thanks to all the good reviews on TA, we booked Baan Orapin for our 2 nighs in Chiang Mai. We had a lovely stay, enjoying the pool in the afternoon or having a good sleep in the big room.

There were 2 things a bit disappointing about the place:
- the shower which had no pressure and was a bit rustic
- we barely didn't have any contact with anyone of the staff, exept to pay the bill or order breakfast

But for the price, we can't complain... we definitely recommend the place!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sofandnico
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Baan Orapin is a beautiful property. You really feel like you step off the streets of Chiang Mai into a tropical oasis. The owners are very nice and accomodating, and even took care of one of my friends who fell ill after I left. The breakfast selections were great and it was wonderful to have a nice pool to come back to after a long hot day of site seeing.

I was traveling with a couple of friends and we rented a junior suite with an extra bed and it was quite comfortable. There was a living area with small refrigerator which they kept stocked with plenty of water for us. And a nice balcony that overlooked a lush green space filled with tropical plants and trickling fountains, and had a view of the pool. And we had A/C which was also a nice addition compared with other places we had stayed.

The original house on this acre + property was built in the early 1900s and is quite pretty and is still in the original family. It is used by the owners primarily, but is also used for breakfast and a common area where there is a computer.

I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelonDL
Reviewed 7 July 2008

My wife and I stayed at Baan Orapin in April 2008. We had a terriffic room - a junior suite in the back building. We were up the stairs and very private. The rooms had a large bed, nice bathroom and a small balcony in the front. The grounds of this hotel are beautiful and an oasis from the busy streets of Chiang Mai. The pool is small, but really nice. The staff was great and the manager/owner was really friendly and helpful. The breakfast was VERY good and made to order (although served very early).

The only complaint I have about this hotel is the location. While the location isn't exactly bad, it also isn't super convenient. You can walk to the night bazaar and there are several well known restaurants nearby, however, it is a long way from the walled part of the city and lots of the tuk tuk drivers don't know where this hotel is or that it even exists.

In the end, the slightly out-of-the-way location wasn't a big problem for us, but it might annoy some people. We looked forward to returning to the hotel grounds and our room after a long day of touristry.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Djibrilduff
Reviewed 2 July 2008

Let me say from the outset that the location and grounds of this guest house are perfect for touring Chiang Mai. However our stay was marred by two things, our room and our treatment by staff at the end of our stay.

We had booked the top floor/twin bedded room in the front wing which we were shown to on arrival. The room boasted a small partly private balcony which turned out to the small space infront of our front door and which was very close to the front door of the next room, so not very private. The room also had 9 windows with poorly fitting curtains so privacy was a bit of an issue. Apart from that the room was very nice.

The pool was very nice and the grounds peaceful and secure.

On departure we arranged to leave our bags with 'pepsi' in the reception areas, when it came time to pay our bill I queried the rate with Pepsi and he referred my query to the manager who offered me a discount for cash which i accepted and duely paid the bill in cash to the manager, fortunately I requested a receipt.

When we returned later that day to collect our bags Pepsi wanted payment to which I replied that we had paid earlier that day. He didn't believe me so we produced the receipt and he still didn't believe me, in fact he then called the owner to confirm that we had indeed paid our bill. This left a very sour taste about Baan Orapin and we would definitely not stay there again.

If you do stay and pay by cash, make sure you get a a receipt.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple