Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast
Rachamankha(Chiang Mai)
US$347
US$161
Agoda.com
De Naga Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$121
US$100
Agoda.com
The Rim Resort(Chiang Mai)
US$122
US$101
Agoda.com
Bodhi Serene Hotel(Chiang Mai)
US$158
US$133
  • Breakfast included
US$210
US$170
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
US$347
Anantara.com
All reviewsjunior suiteb bfoot bridgetuk tukan oasisthe main houseacross the riverold cityfour postermosquito nettinglush gardensposter bedminute walkflower marketbreakfast is servedevery morningping river
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed two nights at Baan Orapin in one of the junior suites in the back building.

Positives:
1) Very quiet yet close to popular river restaurants (The Good View) and about a 10-15 minute walk from the Night Bizarre
2) Nice pool!
3) Large comfortable bed (still firm, but not as hard as many of the other beds I've slept on in Thailand!)
4) Yummy breakfast with several options to choose from

Negatives:
1) Was given a bit of a hard time about paying with a credit card. I was first told I needed to pay in cash. I then had to walk to Warorot Market to find an ATM. Thirty minutes later and covered in sweat, I came back to check out and asked again if there was any way I could pay with a credit card. He said yes this time which was frustrating because it meant I didn't have to go hunting for an ATM in the first place! This being said, there might have been a communication error due to the language barrier.

I would stay here again if I was looking for a quiet, peaceful, and relaxing getaway.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the rear building. Very quiet and spacious.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our week at Baan Orapin in Chiang Mai (within a seven week holiday in Thailand and Laos) was a highlight. The position next to Wat Kate on the Ping River meant you were across the road from cafes, riverside restaurants (with live music) and galleries. The position also provided easy access (15 to 20 min walk) to all the action, temples, restaurants, museums and markets, within and just outside of, the moat. For this week of our trip we were a group of seven - so we were able to step through the Baan Orapin gates and pick up a Song Tao (Red Truck) for 20 Baht per person to anywhere within the old town within minutes.
The service provided by the wonderful Pepsi (he truly is ever smiling), was excellent. The chats with other guests around the pool were both entertaining and informative - many guests had travelled extensively throughout Thailand and Laos and we were able to pick up quite a few tips and recommendations from them. We enjoyed the breakfasts from the Northern Thai set (huge) to the muesli and yoghurt (our regular choice) each day. The mini bar is restocked everyday and at 40 baht for a beer - we were happy to utilize it regularly. We stayed in a rear wing deluxe junior suite for about $85 per night - low season rate - and we were very happy with our choice. They provide all the usual essentials you expect with a little more space. Bed was comfortable, though the television was a little outdated and the reception was a bit hit and miss. To be honest this did not affect our stay as we barely had it on anyway - not what you go on a holiday to do!! Overall an excellent choice and we would definitely stay there again if we were to return to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank alralph_adventures
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I enjoyed my 6-night stay at Baan Orapin, and I would certainly choose to go there again. As other reviewers note, it is surprisingly quiet given the relatively central location -- and I loved being adjacent to the river, with its thriving nightlife; the small grounds are nicely maintained; the staff are friendly; and the rooms (and bathrooms) are very spacious and clean, at what I considered to be a good price.
However, I do think it's important to point out a few issues, which some of the glowing reviews might diminish. First of all, the rooms are spacious but not luxurious -- even when they have a sitting room, the sofa in that sitting room is quite uncomfortable, so you don't actually do much sitting. For that reason I'm not sure it's worth paying for the larger rooms. The breakfast is minimal -- certainly the smallest breakfast I encountered over 7 hotels on this swing through Asia. Perhaps most important -- the rooms in back really are quieter and have a greater sense of privacy, so make sure you stay in back and not up front (I happened to stay in both during my visit). Finally, a word about the service -- the kind man who operates the B&B seems to work his butt off, but it might be better for him in the long-run, and more pleasant for the guests, if there was a bit more staff helping him out. He simply cannot be at all places at all times.

Room Tip: Others have mentioned this, but it must be emphasized: stay in the rooms at the back of the property.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B J
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the guest house for 5 day while travelling around Thailand. The hotel is located on what is a busy road which I thought would be a problem, but once you enter this bed & breakfast guest house it's like someone has pressed the mute button. It is so peaceful and quite. The gardens are beautiful, it's like a a mini oasis. The rooms were clean and had lots of old teak furniture which really added to the charm of this beautiful quest house. The owner was very helpful organising taxis when we had booked a spa treatment near by. The internet was possibly the only thing if I had to make a complain about, it was very slow with some days not working at all. My daughter and I loved this place and have said when we come back to chaing mai we are staying here as it was that good.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyH0808
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had a junior suite which was really lovely. The suites are furnished and decorated beautifully and all have a verandah (with a fan) great for hot weather. The gardens and surroundings are really nice. Its hard to believe once you close the gate at the front that you are right in the middle of town basically as it is very peaceful. Opas the Owner is very helpful and welcoming as is his manager who could not be more helpful and friendly.
The location is great with many places close by for eating etc and just a short walk into the city.
Great place for families as it just has that feel about it. Nice pool area and great breakfasts.
Definitely would recommend Baan Orapin we thoroughly enjoyed our 4 nights here.

Room Tip: The suites near the pool away from the front road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple