“Great for couples”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 775 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2007

I agree with all the raves for Baan Orapin. It is a beautiful place, with gorgeous bungalows and gardens, great breakfasts and delightful staff. I can confirm that there is a pool now. I'd recommend booking one of the new bungalows at the back, because the one I stayed in at the front looked out onto the car park. I stayed there on my own, and didn't really need such a huge suite, but it would be great for a couple. Also, I wasn't crazy about the location - unless you want to visit the riverside bars, there wasn't much of interest around and it was a long hot walk(or short smoky tuktuk ride) up to the old city. So, it depends what sort of holiday you're looking for.
Stayed here 7/2007

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Baan Orapin Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 9 August 2007

I can't say enough about this bed and breakfast.
It is a short taxi ride from the airport, but is just outside the bustle of the city, on the other side of the river. The grounds are stunning, and include the new addition of a pool. Our junior suite room was spacious, quiet, and beautifully decorated in the traditional thai decor. It was luxurious. A room at home (if it even existed), would easily cost triple the price.
Our hosts were extremely helpful and kind.
The breakfast was served in the main house every morning, while soothing music played. The food was delicious, and always served with many smiles.
There are several restaurants a 5 minute walk away for dinner.
A computer with free internet in the main house.
Do not even consider staying anywhere else. There is no need. Make sure you book early to avoid disappointment!

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We booked this property as a result of TripAdvisor reviews for a three night stay in Chiang Mai in June. We were traveling with our sons ages 12 and 15, and had two rooms on the top floor of the front building. The place is very charming and had so much character compared to most places we stayed in Southeast Asia on our three week trip. A terrific bargain too, at least compared to four and five star hotels, which are I think fair competition.

Two points to mention: first, there is a LOT of traffic on the road in front, and it goes late into the night. If you can, book in the rear of the property, especially if you are a lighter sleeper. Second, try the Thai style breakfast, which was great and very different (spicy!).

There are several decent restaurants within five minutes walk. The owners' English we understand is quite good; they were away and the staff's English was not so good, but they were very accomodating in making sugestions and reservations and contacted the owners immediately when there was any question.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2007

Not sure why I'm writing this as I would just be repeating what other reviewers have mentioned.

One of the best guest houses I have ever stayed in! The room was large and stylish, the surroundings were tranquil - this said even though they were doing some building work. 5* hotels take note - you can improve your hotel and not annoy your guests! As one previous reviewer mentioned, many people on our tour buses commented how lovely it looked when we were dropped off at the guest house and I have to admit that we felt a strange pride and even though I'm embarrassed to admit it, a bit smug!

A pool was being constructed whilst we were staying which I think will be an excellent addition to an already amazing property. Even though, as mentioned, the building work did not bother us, the owner discounted our stay without us even asking. Again - 5* take note. The customer service here was superb. Breakfasts were delightful served by accommodating (they were very patient with our very poor attempt at speaking Thai) staff.

If you are heading to Chiang Mai, I don't think you could stay anywhere better - I would definetly book again.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2007

We found this place on TripAdvisor and booked directly through their website. We stayed in the villa which included two bedrooms, two full baths, two floors, a balcony, a porch, kitchen, dining, and living area...all of which was spacious and clean. The hosts were very helpful; native to Thailand and fluent in English. The B&B is situated near several nice restaurants and within walking distance of the Old Town and Night Bazaar. The gardens provide a welcoming, quiet atmosphere that seemingly removes you from civilization. The daily breakfasts are cooked to order and delicious. I highly recommend the Thai Omelet. Yum!
I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting the Chiang Mai area. We stayed here for two weeks and loved every day of it!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank CnMTravels
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I stayed at Baan Orapin for 8 nights in July 2007. I can only add to the many positive comments posted by previous reviewers. The place was everything I wanted. It had Thai style and charm, the room was large, bright and airy and situated in a garden environment that combined nature and convenience. The guest house is located close to all the main attractions and having now seen Chiang Mai, I think the location of this guest house is preferable to the many hotels located in the city between the moat and Ping River. The staff were friendly and charming at all times. Whenever we were collected by tour buses, the other visitors always commented how beautiful Baan Orapin was and how they had wished they had known about it! I am defibnitely coming back. The only proviso I can suggest to potential guests is to be aware this is not a hotel so there is no room service and no restaurant (breakfast is served in a stylish dining room by the pool). If you need those services, please take note. However, there are many charming cafes and restaurants only a few minutes walk away, so things like that really aren't an issue.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2007

I was staying there for 4 nights and was overwhelmed. The rooms are really spacious and clean. the big bed was very comfortable.
Absolutely beautiful the garden. It is really a better choice to stay in the rear wing. Very peaceful. Breakfast is good although it favours egg lovers. Staff is very helpful and polite.
The location is still ok. there is a food bridge a few meters away which gives you access to the market. Anyhow you can always get a Tuk Tuk or one of the red jeepneys and they will bring you to the place you want to go. Taxis are quite rare and usually you have to give them a call. But it is also a nice thing to rent a taxi (200 Baht per hour) and to go around on your own to the nearby locations.
Baan Orapin is really a place I would like to come back with its teakwood constructions .

Stayed: June 2007