“What a wonderful place”

Chiang Mai: 1-Day Elephant Nature Park Exploration
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Elephant Nature Park, a unique conservation project set in Chiang Mai Province, Northern Thailand has been in operation since in the 1990's with a goal to provide a sanctuary and elephant rescue center. We have been involved in dozens of rescues and sustain a natural home for this endangered species. Mission: To protect and conserve elephants in a natural environment and to provide a healthy and fruitful life for all those creatures under our care
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We wanted to go and see elephants who were not made to have people ride on them or do tricks, and this was the place.

We were picked up by the hotel and driven for about an hour to the park,we watched a video on our way.

I cannot enthuse enough about this place, the elephants are treated with such respect and you feel you are not hurting them in anyway.

There was a vegetarian meal included at lunch time with so much choice.

This is the only elephant centre to go to in Chiang Mai, and if you so think about going somewhere else, please read up to see how elephants are treated to be trained to allow people to ride on them.

1  Thank StevenMaidenhead
Write a ReviewReviews (8,975)
All reviews
in 90 reviews
"their natural habitat"
in 122 reviews

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Booked through the elephant nature park office in chiang mai. 2500 baht each including transfers and food.

Educational video on bus to park giving information on how elephant park started and details on some of the rescued elephants. Bus takes just over an hour to park. Collected at hostel by driver and English guide from park.
On arrival time to visit toilets and apply sunscreen.
Plenty of chances to feed elephants and get photos. also opportunity to bathe elephants in river. no mis treatment of elephants so no riding.
Excellent choice of vegetarian food and plenty for everyone. Shop with snacks and gifts on site. Cool purses and tshirts and money goes towards maintenance of the park and the elephants.

Option to watch dvd after lunch about Thailand culture with elephants and more information on elephants the owner rescued. Very interesting and educational but also quite sad.
Get to see the herds that have formed within the park. baby elephants very playful and have to watch out for one who needs two manhouts!

altogether brilliant experience. one of my highlights from Thailand!
Park also full of rescued dogs and cats:)

1  Thank AnnMayo
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This place is one of a kind, we came to Thailand to have an encounter with elephants and this is the right place to do it. There is a lot of options around but there is a lot of animal cruelty as well, this park is trying to stop that and rescue animal that they were abused somehow. You can get really close to the elephants and interact with them. Awesome day!!!! Petch our guide was awesome a lot of info....Thanks a lot

2  Thank Karina E Ivan B
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We decided to spend a little extra money ($180 USD each) and do a small group tour at the Elephant Nature Park. We had a wonderful tour guide named Yo. He picked us up from our hotel in Chiang Mai at 8:30am. There were only 6 people in our group, so the guide was able to give us a lot of attention. The ride to the park took about an hour and a half with one stop for snacks and the bathroom. You could tell that Yo was very passionate about the elephants when he got a little emotional talking about how elephants are abused throughout Thailand (mostly logging and elephant riding). All of the elephants at the park were either rescued or born there. We had three elephants join our group. One of the elephants was blind and one had a broken hip from a logging accident. At first I was a bit nervous to stand next to such a large creature, but they are extremely gentle and the guides do a good job of keeping things safe. We began by feeding the elephants some bananas and then watched them play in the river. None of the elephants are chained and the guides only use verbal commands to control the elephants (no whips, sticks, or metal hooks). We did an easy hike up to a lookout platform and had an amazing lunch overlooking the park. In the afternoon we did a white water rafting trip on the river that runs through the park. If you're looking for the experience of a lifetime, and help elephants who are treated the "humanely," this is your place. Well worth the money!

5  Thank Travelingduck541
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I like to read the bad reviews first, to help address some of the issues other have brought up. I then realized that my 2 day, 1 night experience can't match those that decided only a day would be enough. I remember remarking to some others that it would be terrible to do only one day, because it just isn't enough time with these wonderful animals.

After spending a weekend here, I saw some elephants at the neighboring park...they're literally, visibly starved. So for people to even state that the other parks give more bang for the buck....they're nothing but a selfish tourist. Sure, it would be fun to ride an elephant but imagine being hungry and having to let a two legged shrieking (OMG! IT MOVED HONEY! OMG IT'S SO HAIRY!) being on you, multiple times a day.

Instead, during the two day visit, I met with the elephants 3-4 times a day and my guides were amazing. I think only once did I ask a question Sunshine couldn't answer and that's because I was asking about the culture and Thai customer service inhibitions. Kind of complicated :)

I wept, literally, the first time I saw the elephants and cried when I left. 25 hours later, I got an elephant tattoo. It really is an amazing experience. This isn't for some idiot tourist who only cares about riding a creature and bragging about it. It's for those that empathize with them and understand that elephants aren't meant to be rides...they're meant to be peaceful and playful.

6  Thank jennay2