“Excellent hotel for solo travellers”

Puripunn Baby Grand Boutique Hotel
Ranked #17 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I stayed at the Puripunn for 10 nights and loved it. It had a calming and relaxing atmosphere and I felt very at home and well looked after by the attentive staff.

At breakfast they always remembered my preferences, such as how I liked my eggs done, and when I had dinner there they were considerate to point out if my meal choice might be too spicy for me and would offer to adapt it as necessary!

I liked the attention to detail in the rooms from the silk slippers to the flower placed on your bed at the night’s turn down service.

I stayed in one of the beautiful deluxe rooms on the first floor which was very comfortable and plenty big enough for me. I had a lovely seating area on the balcony overlooking the pool and gardens. I’d recommend treating yourself to a spa treatment or two –a Thai massage would be a good choice.

If I get the chance to visit Chiang Mai again, I’d definitely stay at the Puripunn again. It is probably one of my favourite hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Karen G

Reviewed 27 January 2013

This may be my favorite hotel in the world.

Property: The grounds are lovely and the rooms are beautiful. There was clearly a lot of attention to detail when planning this hotel. I think most rooms (if not all) have balconies/patios with fans which face the central garden/pool area. The pool is relatively small...but so is the hotel. We saw people laying out at various times of the day, but it was never got crowded.

Food: We arrived from Bangkok, where we learned all about small portions. So for lunch at Puripunn we ordered two entrees and an appetizer. Warning: This is a LOT of food! These are full sized dishes! One dish each would have been more than enough. Everything was delicious. Breakfast is lovely - eggs made to order and a variety of other choices.

Location - Hidden in a knot of small roads just a few blocks from the main tourist area. We were lucky enough to be in town for Loi Krathong and were able to walk to and from the celebrations with no problem (note: we're used to walking a lot at home, so some people may use vehicles more than we did). The area seems more like an urban residential area...shops, restaurants and bars that seem geared toward the locals rather than visitors (we never got the feeling we wouldn't be welcome...there just may have been a language barrier at some places).

Staff: This is where Puripunn really shines. Every member of the staff was incredible. They wanted to chat, they wanted to help...it's clearly important that their guests are happy. We opted not to join the holiday dinner at the hotel, but one gentleman (whose name I *wish* I remembered) gave us a lantern so we could bring it into town and send it off. He didn't have to do that...but he wanted to make sure we enjoyed our night out, and it was very much appreciated.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We couldnt fault this hotel the staff were welcoming and freindly from the gardner to the hotel owner they were all so freindly and welcoming and couldnt do enough for us. We were a 10 to 15 minute walk from the Night Bazaars and 5 to 10 minutes from the river restaurants. The rooms were fantastic, far better than what we expected. All in all the best hotel we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room on the ground level, thats what we had and we loved it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Would probably give 3 and 1/2 points if available as better really than average but not quite very good. I wanted so much to love this place.
We loved the closed in feel of this hotel it really is a little bit of peace within the city and feels cosy and intimate. As many other reviews point out the attention to detail is good and the rooms are well equipped although dark. There are no drinks served around the pool and staff are rarely seen around the pool area. Although out of town, It really isn't far and we walked it in daylight but would not do that at night or at all on my own.
A few points let the hotel down. Firstly, the lack of accurate room info meant that we returned from a lovely evening out expecting a relaxing drink at the bar only to find it shutting up. It was about 10pm. The man did not speak very good english. When I rang reception it became clear that the room info was not accurate and we could not get a drink in the bar. We were told that room service was finished so we were offered a lift to the 7/11 ! Five *? Well maybe, they were trying hard to rescue the situation. But if the info had been right in the first place ......
The following morning at breakfast the owner came to apologise and offered complimentary cocktails. We went to the bar for these later that day after our tour and the same guy who had been shutting up the night before said we could have set cocktails from his mr and mrs list. I am not deliberately awkward but I did not like his "specials" so asked for one from the menu and a beer for my hubby. For some reason this was not going to be possible as the voucher was for his "specials" ..... And we would both have to have the same!! So what had been intended as a nice gesture ended up with another bad feeling. However, I did stick my ground and enjoyed two cocktails of my choice from the standard part of the menu.
Food at breakfast was fairly average, not a huge range but then with a small hotel this would not be very practical. Lunch was imaginatively presented and quite good value.
Warning! The beautiful slippers are recycled from guest to guest they apparently "deep clean" them. Not sure I'd have used them if I had known. Never had this before. Also If you are offered a spray for your room - it will appear on your bill.
If you are looking for somewhere to eat by the river then we ate at the Riverside twice. Gets noisy with live music later and may have to wait for a table but it is well worth it.
All in all The Puripunn is not yet very good but is better than average.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank l0ve-t0-travel-m0re
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We were slightly worried as we drove down a back alley to get to the hotel, but we need'nt have been, the hotel was like the secret garden! Beautiful bright lobby and very welcoming staff. We had been upgraded to a garden room which was extremly luxurious and very spacious, it had a real colonial feel to the decor, very clean and what I did like was the fact no one was rushing to get in and clean the room, they were happy to leave you until you left for the day, and then come in. Also nice evening turn down service.
Breakfast was good, and restaurant staff friendly and attentive, nice touch that the owner was usually around at that time and spoke to everyone giving it a personal touch and family feel to the place.
Staff on the desk helpful, and organised several trips for us with no added service charge which I felt was very fair, having stayed at other places who add on 10% service charge for anything booked through them, so well done Puripunn.
We were friends who had never travelled to the far east and they really tried very hard to meet their needs.
We did use the pool usually later in the day, albeit very cold water it was a relaxing area to wind down before heading back out to the night markets!.
Certainly would return to this hotel.
thank you for a lovely stay.
George and Val Bell

Room Tip: Have a garden room , you are in the lush gardens and they are extremely spacious
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We travel often and always prefer a small, boutique hotel over a large, crowded, tourist-filled chain. Puripunn is a perfect example of why! Intimate, charming, great 'cozy spots' to curl up and feel at home were everywhere. Our room was lovely - and the daily breakfast was absolutely wonderful - the serene courtyard with attentive, smiling and truly caring staff. The other guests were eclectic and interesting, but if you wanted to dine alone, or wander off, the bar area was always a welcome spot and hardly used - with lots of windows and wonderful atmosphere. Upstairs, the library with 2 computers and reliable internet was a great place for an afternoon cocktail or cup of tea. A short walk from the center of town - just over the bridge - it was great to get quiet at the end of a long and eventful day. I leave the best part of this review for last - and that is the staff. Att, the owner who was present to welcome you daily has a wonderful team to support his vision of service and support. As we left the hotel at the end of our stay, we had a request - and it was definitely a stretch for a small, boutique hotel. We requested that Att package up and mail to our US address several art pieces (fragile) we had purchased but did not want to take on the rest of our journey. This meant not only they would prepare for shipping, but take to the postal office, ensure address and delivery requirements were met and pay for the postage up front on our behalf - with a promise from us that we would reimburse them when we returned to the US. This would be a lot to ask of a large ''chain' hotel, much less a small privately owned establishment. Guess What!!! Within days of our returning home the package came. Soundly wrapped, Correctly addressed and with enough postage to insure its delivery. This alone for me is reason to support Puripunn - their commitment to servicing their guests - whatever it takes. On top of that a lovely hotel, a sincere and helpful staff and a Great place to call 'home' at the end of a long,, long day in Chang Mai. Thank you Att and All of your lovely staff. I will recommend you to all of my friends and fellow travelers.

Room Tip: Each room is decorated uniquely - you can check on the website, but as long as you are facing the in...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sfek617
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We weren't sure what to think when the car pulled through the back alleys and sidestreets that take you to the Puripunn, but were pleasantly surprised to find this oasis in the neighborhood thats also just a hop and a skip from the river and night bazzar. They've also got free tuc tuc rides to anywhere in the vicinity.

Great service and a very nice staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple