“A Private Oasis Away From the Busy City”

Lanna Dusita Boutique Resort by Andacura
Ranked #82 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the second two weeks of our holiday. The entrance does not prepare you for the peace and quiet that you will encounter ... the gardens are tropical and well maintained and the location next to the river gives a sense of serene relaxation. The room was basic, entry is straight into the bathroom which I found a little curious but became accustomed to that. We had a king sized bed but no amount of tossing and turning was going to give me a good sleep ... the mattress is very hard which seems to be normal in the hotels here, but the pillows were awful, foam filled hard blocks. Consequently sleep quality for me was zero, though my husband likes hard mattresses. Staff were okay but mostly indifferent, we did not receive much of a welcome on arrival and no goodbye when we left even after 2 weeks. A large group of Chinese came to stay for a couple of days and one would have thought that Royalty was arriving with the number of staff engaged in special preparations beforehand ... it would have been nice to have been afforded the same. They do not appear to have a strong grasp of english so communication was strained at times. Only once did I use the 'Bistro' when I craved a sandwich and coffee and found that food was served at the Ping riverside but not coffee which was only available at the front breakfast area, even though this was mid-evening. Prices I feel are too high by Thai standards which is probably why I saw few people eating there. The breakfast itself was well prepared, sometimes it is a buffet setup other times by menu depending on the number of guests staying at the time. The food was excellent and plentiful. We enjoyed our stay here on the whole but did find it was too far away from conveniences even with a shuttle bus service. It is unlikely we would return to Lanna Mantra for this reason as there are numerous hotels/resorts on the Ping river which offer the same tranquility closer to Chiang Mai, but I would definitely recommend it for stays of a week or less for anyone looking for this type of place.

Room Tip: Rooms 121-123 on the top floor provided a view across the Ping and were quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kris K

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I couldn't believe the decline in this hotel since I last stayed there 12 months ago. It feels rundown & unloved and the staff are indifferent to the point of rudeness. Bring plenty of mosquito repellent if you stay here because you will need it for the swarms of Mosquitos from the brown and dirty pond.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I write this sat on the riverbank of the Lanna Mantra hotel. We are spending 4 days here and already on day 3. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds on the banks of the river Ping. Its a little out of town around 10 mins in a taxi or free on the twice daily bus provided by the hotel. Its a very good 3* and in my opinion not 4 as it lacks that luxurious edge you would expect of a 4* HOWEVER don't let that put you off, its rustic in appearance but great value for money and perfectly acceptable. The lunches here are very tasty as and very cheap by hotel standards. Free WiFi,very friendly staff _ but I must agree with some other reviews there is one female receptionist who does seem grumpy and unfortunately she was our first experience of the staff, the others soon changed our opinion of all the staff who have all been wonderful. All in all I recommend this place if you don't we want to be in the thick of it,it costs next to nothing to travel about by tuk tuk or taxi as long as you enjoy a haggle.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms overlooking the pool and river
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DaveyNorthUK
Reviewed 1 December 2013

- Hotel is nice and very quiet and private with a nice exterior and interior design
Located in comfortable area, at a curve of Ping River which you can enjoy the view from the pool
- Room is nice, clean, cozy and big with a comfy big bed and big bathroom
- Service is good with friendly and helpful staffs. We have a problem with a delay confirm booking from Agoda but they allow us to check in first, that's the first impression in the our long drive and tired day. Also take care us for special requests
- Food (complimentary breakfast) is tasty, various, unlimited order

Conclusion : It's not a 4 star hotel which you can expect for the high standard but I would say the hotel and services here is good and friendly for your money value in a medium rate

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JeabKidZ
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Nice clean rooms wit air co, very spacious. The river view rooms are nice, don't get the rooms next to the road - very noisy!

Was not the high season when we were there so it was nice to enjoy the pool in private :)

We didn't really get a warm welcome, and felt like we were bothering the staff but staying many nights they warmed up.

Breakfast was simple, but ok. Nothing WOW, but you fill your tummy.

Have to say the small black and white kitten is adorable and got caught feeding him/her bacon (but the staff were ok with it :D) the kitten will be your best friend if you give him little food! He's well taken cared of and very friendly

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Kimmy V
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I hate to give this nice, small resort on the outskirts of Chiang Mai such a bad rating. Many things are lovely here: The beautiful location directly on the Ping river, the landscaping, the interior design of the rooms, the pool, and the little house kitty of the resort, which is a pleasure to watch.. The Wifi is fast and reliable, water pressure is great, even the breakfast buffet is OK; the service is attentive and pleasant. However a few important issues cannot be overlooked: 1. The mattresses are just terrible slabs of concrete! (And I like firm mattresses!) I am glad that I get going tomorrow, my back hurts so bad that I cannot take it any longer. 2. The resort is in the (departure) flight path of CMX, the frequency of flights is not overwhelming, but it doesn't render the resort to the refuge I had hoped. Think twice in case you stay longer than one night, it is your vacation.

Room Tip: There are several buildings: Definitely get a Superior Room in the building directly overlooking the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank travelpr0123
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Hoping for a peaceful respite, but the front desk personalities did not lend itself to an easy time.

We booked two rooms, and after experiencing a horrid smell in one, asked politely to be relocated. They were already annoyed, and any subsequent conversations led to an unyielding, unaccommodating attitude. Needless to say, we felt pretty unwelcome.

We packed our bags and left the next day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family