“BEDBUGS & ROACHES!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!”
Review of Parami Guesthouse

Parami Guesthouse
“BEDBUGS & ROACHES!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!”
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling in SE Asia for over 2.5 months and staying at budget hotels and hostels throughout. I was pleased to find Parami after doing a thorough search of places - the reviews seemed promising. WRONG!

The pictures are totally misleading. Choose the worst picture and imagine it 3x worse, then you may have an idea of what this place is like. I thought it was a bit odd when I first arrived and the owner (a Swiss gentleman) was rude, insulting, and aggressive upon check-in. Whatever, I figured it was cultural differences and moved on.

Got to the room and was blown away by how different it seemed from the pics and reviews. Was I even at the right place? The location is far outside the Old City. Much further than anticipated - especially when walking.

I laid down on the bed and felt every spring in the mattress. Awful. Still trying to think positively, I went out and enjoyed the day. When I returned I walked in the room to find 2 jumbo cockroaches racing each other across the top of the bed. I nearly vomited in my mouth. I can't stand roaches, so it was quite possibly the worst thing I could have seen. I immediately tried logging on to hostelworld to find a new place, but the WiFi didn't work. I went to tell the owner and he first told me I was lying about the roaches (huh?) and then yelled at me for informing him that the WiFi didn't work. I was so taken aback I didn't know what to do. I sheepishly went back to my room and tried rocking myself to sleep.

Early the next morning I got up and found that my entire body was covered in bites. Not mosquito bites, not spider bites, BEDBUGS! It was the icing on top of the cake.

I wanted to cry. I was scheduled to stay a second night and just grabbed my stuff and left (while the owner shouted at me that I would still be charged for 2 nights).

This was a nightmare come to life. I strongly urge you to stay elsewhere, even if it costs a few extra bucks.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank D G
Guesthouse-Manager, Manager at Parami Guesthouse, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
If all this is true we wondering why we have a high performance between 80% - 90% and so many nice reviews on , hostelworld.com, hostelbookers.com and tripadvisor.com.

Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Worst experience in SE Asia for sure.

The Swiss owner is rude, short tempered, and very unfriendly.

Rooms smell of mold and are tiny. Little privacy either. You have the choice of having the window open for the viewing pleasure of all the staff and guests, or closed and suffocated. Note that you need to walk outside to get to your "private" bathroom and shower and that Internet in the room is non existent.

Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. There are plenty of great, cheap options in Chiang Mai with friendly and professional management. We changed locations and are thrilled we did.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank DNAinSEA1
Guesthouse-Manager, Manager at Parami Guesthouse, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
We guess this must be the traveller witch was asked last month to leave our place immediately because he’s behaviour was for the Guesthouse not acceptable. We are not wondering that this is the quintessence we face. The bad review was already threatened.
Management
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Very nice guest house, bit noisy from the main road and if you have a ground floor room it can also be noisy from the upstairs rooms, wooden floors, the management are very nice, staff very nice. Lovely setting - steppy-stones throuh fish pond to rooms. Lovely back garden with hammocks. Lovely little cat called Shorttail who had an accident and who lost his brother recently.

Room Tip: Upstairs room with air com - downstairs rooms fans.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Lyon, France
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I spent three nights at Parami around Christmas time in December 2012 and I had an excellent stay. Previously I had stayed at a new fancy hotel (mainly for backpackers) in the heart of the city but Parami gave me a good impression as soon as I was welcomed by the owner.

The owner, his wife and his staff are very friendly and helpful. Their breakfast in the morning is very good. The bedrooms are good too, clean and comfortable enough to have a pleasant stay in Chiang Mai.

Roger is very helpful in providing tour advice and make bookings. He rented a motorbike for me at a cheap price. The guest house also has a small massage and beauty centre next to it, but men and women can enjoy a traditional Thai massage.

The guest house is about 15 min away from the city centre, but the walk is enjoyable, and it feels so good to be out of the city when you want to have a quiet night!

Overall, I had a pleasant stay and would recommend anyone to go there! I'd definitely go back to this guest house should I visit Chiang Mai again as a solo traveller!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Hull
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We stayed in Parami guesthouse in late January and would highly recommend it to others.
The guesthouse has a garden setting with little stone slabs in a fish pond that you cross to get to rooms. Fantastic decor and very peaceful. The first room we stayed in was a fan only, which was small and basic, bathroom could do with a slight touch up as there were holes in the wall which mosquitoes tended to be able to get through during the night. Never bothered us as we just kept the bathroom door closed. Walls are also quite thin, unfortunately someone staying in the room next to us sounded very ill and we heard the whole ordeal. Fortunately Parami is located out of the old town and seems to cater towards quieter guests rather than the 'I remember my first beer' kind of guests. Our last night we stayed in an air con room which was very nice. Large and great bathroom.
Roger(the owner) was very helpful throughout and we booked our onward journey to Laos on the slow boat, as well as a 1 day trek with him. Make sure you try the banana pancakes for breakfast they are fantastic.
Parami is located around a 25 minute walk from the old city along a very scenic route. If you are planning to spend a lot of time there then the location of this guesthouse is not ideal. There are some great restaurants on the waterfront just down the road though.
Would highly recommend Parami guesthouse.

Room Tip: Go for air con rooms as they are much better than fan rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

Contacted via email, the owner was very friendly and offered advice before we arrived in Thailand.
Booked for one night and booked 2 day 1 night jungle trek. They normally do not accept one night bookings unless you book a trip with them.
We stayed one night after the trek too as was a very nice place. Very good location, clean rooms.
Good massage parlour next door with discount when booking treks

• Stayed March 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Upon arrival we were greeted by the extremely friendly owner. He showed us all the places and restaurants in Chiang mai and advised us over the different trekking tours. The tour we booked turned out to be great. Very good service.

However when the owner is not around, this guesthouse loses its key strength as the other staff members do not speak English very well which makes it harder to communicate.

Breakfast is not included, but can be bought against a reasonable price. The pancakes and muesli were delicious.

The rooms are a bit noisy as the walls are thin.

The location can be problematic if you don't like walking. The night bazaar is close by, but to the city centre you really need a tuktuk.

Overall parami is a great place if you don't mind walking a bit.

Tip: Just across the river is a food market (warrot market) with great cheap food (sushi,rice etc.).

• Stayed February 2013